Two TM Batteries

I'm going to run two 27 series batteries for my 12V trolling motor. I have a 2012 190 and I going to install them in the two dry boxes behind the seats, one on each side. Question: What gage of wire do I need to run from on side to the other to run them in series? Also, could I use the wire from a set of jumper cables? It's going to be about a 6 foot run. Thanks

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Topwater 2 View Post
    I'm going to run two 27 series batteries for my 12V trolling motor. I have a 2012 190 and I going to install them in the two dry boxes behind the seats, one on each side. Question: What gage of wire do I need to run from on side to the other to run them in series? Also, could I use the wire from a set of jumper cables? It's going to be about a 6 foot run. Thanks
    6ga should be fine. Why can’t you just put them in the back battery compartment.
    2018 Tracker 190 TX
    Torqeedo 10.0
    Humminbird Helix 12 G4N MDI+/SI+
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jyu87 View Post
    6ga should be fine. Why can’t you just put them in the back battery compartment.
    Because the third battery would be under the deck and it would be a pain to maintain.

4. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Topwater 2 View Post
    Because the third battery would be under the deck and it would be a pain to maintain.
    I run an agm for cranking for this reason. It's tucked way under there but never have to touch it.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

5. Banned
    I have all 3 batteries in the back deck , 1 for cranking , 2 for trolling motor . Would like upgrade wire from an 8 gage to a 6 gage for trolling motor , circuit breaker tripped a few when it was hot out or running trolling motor constantly .

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    I run an agm for cranking for this reason. It's tucked way under there but never have to touch it.
    Have you had any issues with that AGM? I wanted to do that also and from what all the info I got said was the charging system on my motor didn't cooperate well with the AGM, stay with the flooded wet type battery.
    my motor is 2002 Merc 90 2 stroke..

7. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Bob View Post
    Have you had any issues with that AGM? I wanted to do that also and from what all the info I got said was the charging system on my motor didn't cooperate well with the AGM, stay with the flooded wet type battery.
    my motor is 2002 Merc 90 2 stroke..
    Oh OK. Your motor probably has the standard stator charging system then? I have heard that type will chew up an agm battery. Mine has a real alternator type charging system I think and over 4 years later the group 31 Interstate agm is still going strong. Maybe get a "maintenance free" wet battery if that's even possible in a marine battery?
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    Oh OK. Your motor probably has the standard stator charging system then? I have heard that type will chew up an agm battery. Mine has a real alternator type charging system I think and over 4 years later the group 31 Interstate agm is still going strong. Maybe get a "maintenance free" wet battery if that's even possible in a marine battery?
    Ok, I see now. Got to have an alternator. Your right mine is the old stator type. Guess I will leave it alone, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

If you get maintenance free AGM Duel battery (deep cycle and cranking) it will be just fine with the stator charging system.
    i’ve been running one for three years with no issues at all. It only drops 10% on each fishing trip and charges back up within 15min.
    cranking always shows 12.1 on VesselView. With motor turned off and electronics running It never drops below that. And it shouldn’t until the battery below 50% as in a regular deep cycle.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

10. Member
    Most lead acid batteries sold today are maintenance free.

11. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Most lead acid batteries sold today are maintenance free.
    Only if the caps can't be popped off. Some batteries are thirstier than others. Mainly deep cycles though because of how they're used and abused.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

12. Member
    Why not get two AGM's for the trolling motor and use a lead acid battery for the starter battery and the electronics?