Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RCC70 View Post
    How do they fit in your Basscat Dual Aluminum Battery Tray?

They don't. I took a 2x4 and cut it's length so I could hold the Ionics in place by tightening the top of the tray on the 2x4 wedging the Ionics. Works perfect. Batteries are secure. Ionic sells trays for their batteries but a little mod and the alum trays will work.

How do they fit in your Basscat Dual Aluminum Battery Tray?
    I purchased a Battery Tray from Drew Teck. Bass Boat technologies also makes one.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

3. Member
    Could you post a picture of how you done that with the 2x4? I'm trying to imagine this set up.
    Quote Originally Posted by iron banks View Post
    They don't. I took a 2x4 and cut it's length so I could hold the Ionics in place by tightening the top of the tray on the 2x4 wedging the Ionics. Works perfect. Batteries are secure. Ionic sells trays for their batteries but a little mod and the alum trays will work.

4. Member
    Could you post a picture of how you done that with the 2x4? I'm trying to imagine this set up.
    Also would like to see a picture if possible.

Thanks.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanH View Post
    Also would like to see a picture if possible.

Thanks.
    X3 would like to see a picture just ordered mine and was wondering how the tray would work.

6. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    So is the fire hazard from these things a thing of the past?

7. Member
    I've thought about adding a house battery in my p2. Either building a bridge over the sump area or just repositioning the cranker battery and adding a small tray for a lithium. With everyone adding all these electronics and such the single battery set up(lead or agm)struggles to keep up the needs. I run a northstar 31agm and on long days it struggles. I for one use my electronics and dont put them on standbye. My better half watches the one at the console all the time with her on customized screen. I been watching these lithum threads. I to would like to see some set ups.
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    I’m wondering the same thing. This is the only thing that would hold me back from switching batteries out.

9. Member
    How long you been running it like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Grant2 View Post
    How long you been running it like that?

Since October. It is treated lumbar. Batteries have not shifted at all.

11. Member
    20201228_180944.jpg 20201228_180944.jpg Apologies for the double pic post but you get the idea

12. Member
    What I did for my Lithium Pros was trimmed about 3/16" off the tray top. The side with the angled edge tang (for lack of better words). This let the tray top sit down on the lip of the battery.
    Dave Sheffield
    Proudly Representing:
    Bass Cat Boats
    Mercury Outboards
    MotorGuide Trolling Motors
    Ardent Outdoors
    Power Pole

13. Member
    Thank you for the pictures.

14. Member
    What would be recommended for a 24v Ultrex on a 2020 Cougar for Lithium battery size?

I am not sure if I can get by with 2 50ah or need the 100ah....looking at Ionic
    Last edited by 2013sabre; 01-10-2021 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    No telling really. Lithium is used in so many things these days. There have been huge issues in cell phones, kid's toys, e-sigs, and laptops. Considering the numbers of tools / phones / toys using them - as a percentage, they seem to be relatively safe. They're still banned for use by the FAA for airplane use. Used as starting batteries - Mercury will void a warranty claim. They give people back the lost performance from shallow anchors & such and have a longer, deeper cycle life than lead / acid. They're a perfect solution until something goes wrong - then it's a catastrophic loss. Lithium puts on some amazing fireworks when they flame out. Add a gas tank and if you only lose a boat you'll be lucky. I'll wait until they've done a little cycle time and the protection circuitry gets a little age on it before dropping the coin on a bank of them. When the FAA gives them the green light - I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by JStew View Post
    No telling really. Lithium is used in so many things these days. There have been huge issues in cell phones, kid's toys, e-sigs, and laptops. Considering the numbers of tools / phones / toys using them - as a percentage, they seem to be relatively safe. They're still banned for use by the FAA for airplane use. Used as starting batteries - Mercury will void a warranty claim. They give people back the lost performance from shallow anchors & such and have a longer, deeper cycle life than lead / acid. They're a perfect solution until something goes wrong - then it's a catastrophic loss. Lithium puts on some amazing fireworks when they flame out. Add a gas tank and if you only lose a boat you'll be lucky. I'll wait until they've done a little cycle time and the protection circuitry gets a little age on it before dropping the coin on a bank of them. When the FAA gives them the green light - I'm in.
    every cell phone has a lithium battery in it........they are on all planes.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    every cell phone has a lithium battery in it........they are on all planes.
    Above 100 watt hours there are specific regulations and handling rules. They aren’t allowed for the planes themselves. Query FAA regs on lithium batteries.
    Last edited by JStew; 01-12-2021 at 11:43 PM.

18. Member
    I just swapped to the 60ah BPS Tracker by Relion, they are a group 24 size, the trays in the Basscats are group 31 dimensions with spacers for group 27 batts, I contacted the manufacturer of the trays for spacers for group 24s but they do not make them. I took some aluminum L brackets and screwed them into the existing center hole in the trays, with the top clamped down they are solid as a rock.
    The 60ah are 17lbs each, my old group 27s were 50lbs each, the Eyra handles noticeably different, holeshot is faster but I haven't had conditions to get a top speed run to find out if there is any difference there.
    I also installed a Victron Smart Shunt to monitor battery performance, it uses a cell phone app and displays all the batteries parameters, so far I haven't used more than 12% of usable amp hours. The shunt works on all batteries and I recommend one if your batteries do not have a built in monitoring system, the old voltage indicator is useless with lithium batteries as they will read full voltage until they die, the important number is the amp hours remaining.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JStew View Post
    Above 100 watt hours there are specific regulations and handling rules. They aren’t allowed for the planes themselves. Query FAA regs on lithium batteries.

The B787 still has lithium cobalt dioxide batteries in it. The batteries went through a redesign. There are electric airplanes going through certification. Am pretty sure Airplanes use lithium batteries.

The batteries going into boats are Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) If you google up "Lithium Iron Phosphate Thermal Runaway" you'll get all the info you need. I seem to recall a FAA study that found LiFePO4 tend not to enter thermal runaway and when they do catch fire the fire tends not to spread between cells, but don't believe me, it has been a while best to check for your self.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast