Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Dogfish I will get the lope you are talking about if I load the front end of my boat pretty heavy. I usually do not load it heavy. I have not changed setup since my Lithiums but I should probably drop my plate a little. It’s high compared to what most people run. I also run a 26 tempest. A fury on my boat didn’t run good. I’m on the limiter with my 26 tempest when I’m in the boat myself with a moderate load at 72.5mph.
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

2. Member
    I chickened out and ordered 80ah batteries. Cost was slight less per AH than ordering 60ah batteries so the upgrade cost was minimal. I sort of went with the same thinking I did with the trolling motor, 24v might have been enough but it was a whole lot more expensive to make the upgrade after purchasing a TM than just getting the 36v to begin with.

3. Member
    I have the Ionics. FYI I fished yesterday. Temperature was 35 degrees at 7 am when we put the boat in the water. 125 Ah started the Mercury 250 4-stroke with no problem.

I ended up ordering Ionics from the board sponsor.

watched the UPS guy carry the box up, went and grabbed it from him. Wow are they light
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

5. Member
    Bill you should love them. Worth every penny in my opinion.
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

Well I installed today, out on the water next weekend.

can’t believe how small they are compared to my interstates.

those things are Heavy. Opened up room in the bilge and reduced weight. Pretty excited to see how the hole shot changes.
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

I have 3 ionics 50ah in the Jag. I have not gotten them below 79% in an all day fish using spot lock plenty. If they last as advertised they are worth the cost.

8. Member
    How about a single 36v/100ah for a fun fisherman? I realize the limitations, but a single troller and a single starter?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    How about a single 36v/100ah for a fun fisherman? I realize the limitations, but a single troller and a single starter?
    I’m running a single 24v and 1 12v haven’t had any issues fishing tournaments or from sunup to sundown
    2020 pantera classic
    200 mercury 4s

10. Member
    Printman it should be fine. I don’t know how much the single 36 is but I think 3 50ah batterys will be cheaper. Not sure. And the 50ahs are tiny so if room is a concern you should have plenty.
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jusmangrum View Post
    Printman it should be fine. I don’t know how much the single 36 is but I think 3 50ah batterys will be cheaper. Not sure. And the 50ahs are tiny so if room is a concern you should have plenty.
    Thanks, if 3 50s are less, I would go with that. Space is no issue, I have a 2016 Puma with 4 AGMs, no poles so no pumps.

12. Member
    This spring I installed 4 new batteries in my 2014 Cougar w/power poles and 36v Ultrex. I wanted to have bookoo storage and longevity so went with Northstar group 31's with 200AH rating. These batteries are heavier than HE_ _.
    Anyway, my hole shot suffered so I swapped out my Fury 3 25p to a Fury 4 25p. It helped but still no ball of fire. Friend told me I should have dropped one pitch when going from a 3 blade to a 4 blade (should have swapped to a 4 blade 24p).
    I will prolly sell my new Fury 4 blade 25p that I used just a few outings and in mint shape for the Fury 4 24p to see if that gets the job done.

So, getting to the batteries.... even though I spend over $1600 in spring for the 4 Northstars I was thinking of getting rid and buying 3 Lithium for the 36v Ultrex, but again going overkill with the largest I could buy. I am sure this will save me
    100 plus pounds but my friend who is a local Basscat Rep advised that he DEFINITELY would not go lithium because of a fire hazzard. He said that once a lithium battery start on fire it is an absolute nightmare to put out. So I am on the fence with the swap.

I am puzzled about his statement as I did not find a single post here that mentioned any fire hazzard issues with using lithium and would have assumed if it were a real problem there would have been posts. I do like the idea of being able to monitor the batteries with the phone app ..... which brings me to my next question. I see everyone throwing around "percentages of battery depleated / left" but since I don't know much about lithium is that figure used to what extent ? Do you run down the batteries to what percent before they stop performing ?? Zero ? ie. Can you run a lithium to 10% or is there a cuttoff point where you should stop and not go below ? Can you harm a lithium by depleating too low ?

13. Member
    Raptor my understanding is you can run a lithium down to 0 and it will not hurt the battery. A lead acid or agm you can not do that.
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishraptor View Post
    So, getting to the batteries.... even though I spend over $1600 in spring for the 4 Northstars I was thinking of getting rid and buying 3 Lithium for the 36v Ultrex, but again going overkill with the largest I could buy. I am sure this will save me
    100 plus pounds but my friend who is a local Basscat Rep advised that he DEFINITELY would not go lithium because of a fire hazzard. He said that once a lithium battery start on fire it is an absolute nightmare to put out. So I am on the fence with the swap.

I am puzzled about his statement as I did not find a single post here that mentioned any fire hazzard issues with using lithium and would have assumed if it were a real problem there would have been posts. I do like the idea of being able to monitor the batteries with the phone app ..... which brings me to my next question. I see everyone throwing around "percentages of battery depleated / left" but since I don't know much about lithium is that figure used to what extent ? Do you run down the batteries to what percent before they stop performing ?? Zero ? ie. Can you run a lithium to 10% or is there a cuttoff point where you should stop and not go below ? Can you harm a lithium by depleating too low ?
    Don't go with the biggest you can afford, you don't need that for your application.
    Your friend is probably thinking about traditional lithium-ion batteries used in other applications that can be a fire hazard without proper battery management.
    The BMS in the Lifepo4 battery will limit what you run you battery down to, and they can go to "zero" without damage.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikes250r View Post
    125 Ah starting battery, (3)100 Ah trolling batteries in my 2020 Puma with a 250 Merc 4-stroke with two Powerpole blades. Hole shot is actually where I saw the most noticeable difference. Top end speed maybe a mph or two better. BTW had I not already had two 100Ah batteries when I got the new Puma I would have just got three 50Ah batteries for my trollers.There is no way I will ever run three 100Ah’s down. I can fish 8 hrs staying on spot-lock in heavy winds and only use 15% of them.

I have heard Mercury won't warranty the engine if you use a lithium starting battery. Not sure if it's true, probably should call Mercury.

16. Member
    This spring I installed 4 new batteries in my 2014 Cougar w/power poles and 36v Ultrex. I wanted to have bookoo storage and longevity so went with Northstar group 31's with 200AH rating. These batteries are heavier than HE_ _.
    Anyway, my hole shot suffered so I swapped out my Fury 3 25p to a Fury 4 25p. It helped but still no ball of fire. Friend told me I should have dropped one pitch when going from a 3 blade to a 4 blade (should have swapped to a 4 blade 24p).
    I will prolly sell my new Fury 4 blade 25p that I used just a few outings and in mint shape for the Fury 4 24p to see if that gets the job done.

The batteries going into boats are Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) if you google up "lithium iron phosphate fire risk" or "lithium iron phosphate thermal runaway" or something else along those lines you'll get all the info you need.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    I have heard Mercury won't warranty the engine if you use a lithium starting battery. Not sure if it's true, probably should call Mercury.
    From Don Weed on the Mercury forum:

• EuropeanAM

Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado ModeratorJoin DateApr 2008LocationGreenville, SC (US)Posts83,367

#8601-21-2019, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by EuropeanAM
      There is really no such thing as "voiding" a Warranty. See the lengthy Magnuson Moss Warranty Act of 1976 (as amended) for plenty of detail.

However- any damage or failure that might be caused by, or contributed to (from utilizing the incorrect type (or rating) of battery) would not be covered under the engine Warranty.

Guys- Engine specifications REQUIRE an AGM battery for the V6 and V8 Fourstroke Models. Doesn't matter "who" tells you something else will work- if it's not approved by the engine Manufacturer, don't be surprised when you end up on the short end of a problem, with a bill sitting in front of you.

That's the short of it.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
      Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 44 years (learn something new every day).
      Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

18. Member
    Lithiums all the way, I just bought mine a few months ago. The 50amp Ionics are very reasonably priced and way more than you could possibly run down in a single day. Hole shot will greatly improve but you will want to redistribute the weight with more in the back to get the feel of traditional weighting. No concern or worry of fire either. And they are incredibly light. I also carried the box with all 3 in it and was laughing the whole way out to my shop. All 3 were much lighter than 1 of the leads I took out. I wouldn't hesitate to do it all over again. Oh and yes the phone app is pretty cool. It shows you the percentage of charge left in each battery. My understanding is that they will run the exact same at 1% as they do at 100%...but I will never find out. I fished 3 days in a row with not charging them and was still at 72%. And then they were fully charged in less than 4 hours. Outstanding
    BCB Eyra 2017
    GMC Sierra 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    Well I installed today, out on the water next weekend.

can’t believe how small they are compared to my interstates.

those things are Heavy. Opened up room in the bilge and reduced weight. Pretty excited to see how the hole shot changes.

wow. It’s all I can say. Fish my first tournament today with the new Ionic‘s. Heart blowing wind all day on the trolling motor for nine hours 70% of the charge remain at the end of the day.
    Horse shot drastically improved. Very happy with the purchase so far.
    Hole shot comparable to my old P2
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

20. Member
    How do they fit in your Basscat Dual Aluminum Battery Tray?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast