To Answer a Question Put to Me.

Quote Originally Posted by msethsmile View Post
    CajonBass, "Increasing Our Faith" in what? At last woke count, there are 56-58 different sexual identities. All this time I thought there was only two: "...male and female he created them." Gen 1: 27b. Evidently, God didn't get the memo. Religion is the same, 1001 different ones, all deserving a site here OR only two: 1) God condescends to become man and dies to take away our sins. 2) Man produces enough good works to earn his way to heaven, become god or a god. Greatly shortened, God becomes man or Man becomes god. Which one (or both) do we want to endorse here? Put bluntly, Is "Increasing Our Faith" a Christian site?
    I've thought about this a bit and I'll do my best to give an answer. When I was jolted awake at 3 am one morning many years ago with the sure knowledge that I was supposed to start a "religious" (for lack of a better word) forum on the BBC, I certainly envisioned it to be a Christian site. The intention was to spread the word of Jesus Christ as best as my poor knowledge and ability would allow me to do.

But at the same time, I never expected to try to keep anyone from posting what they believed. I remember we had a Muslim fellow stop by a number of years ago. He introduced himself, didn't cause any trouble, just asked a few questions and moved on. I've often wondered what happened to him. I pray he found what he was looking for.

So is this a "Christian site?" I suppose it is, but who gets to define what a "Christian" is. I know it's a big question. I've been told by various people that Mormon's, Jehovah Witnesses, Catholics, and probably a half dozen others aren't Christians. Frankly, I don't know. I've been a Southern Baptist all my life. I'm sure there are those who think we're not "Christians."

What I really envisioned was a place where anyone could come and ask a question or make a statement and not be shouted down. I envisioned a place where I could say I believe "X" and you (royal "you.") could reply, I believe "Y." Then we could discuss why we believe those things, without arguing, without fighting, without name calling. Looking back, I suppose I was at least somewhat naive but, I've always believed that those things are counter-productive and accomplish nothing. Not only do they not settle anything between you and I, I believe they tend to cause others, especially people who really aren't on either side, but are curious, to get all glassy eyed, to tune out and move on. If I post a long list of Bible verses that "prove" my point, and Joe over here who wants to learn, takes a look at that list and says, "Nope...not interested...let me go find something about fishing.", what have I accomplished? Have I really done what Jesus told me to do? Am I doing this for my glory or for His? Am I worried more about winning an argument? Or winning souls?

I still haven't figured it out.

2. Member
    All this time I assumed "Increasing Our Faith" meant Christians. I tailored my threads as such to edify the Church; certainty of salvation thru the forgiveness of sins found only in the blood stained cross and empty tomb. God for us. Oops, wrong audience. As said before, there are only 2 religions: God does the heavy lifting or man does the heavy lifting (man is his own god).

As some may know, I'm big on Law and Gospel, the two main teachings of Holy Scripture. Remember, the Gospel is a two edged sword--it cuts both ways. It always divides. It creates faith in some (some Christians don't believe this) and drives others further into unbelief. That's one of the reasons Christ spoke in parables--as to not offend/drive away those in unbelief. Notice that Christ always had His hand out drawing lost souls closer to Him--for their own good.* Upon His betrayal, Christ calls Judas "friend". One last effort to save Judas before he and Christ both perish. Of such is the God of Christianity. "...I desire all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth." 1 Tim 2:4 Even Moses (murderer), even David (murderer), even me (murderer), even you.

*Jesus sees Jerusalem before Him on His last trip there--to die for our sins; "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem (and us), you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you would not. Look, your house is left to you desolate." Matthew 23:37 (my emphasis)
    Last edited by msethsmile; 11-10-2020 at 10:10 AM.

3. Member
    Jesus the man died at the cross. Christ the Messiah, the Nazarene, the Redeemer, the Savior will live on 'ad infinitum' seated at the right hand of GOD, as foretold by the prophets.
    Christians were first called christians at Antioch, which basically set them apart as the believers of Christ and His teachings, therefore, accepting Him as Lord and Savior, the Son of GOD one with the Father. Mormons, most Jehovah's Witnesses controlled by the Watchtower, Muslims, Hindu, and a few others do not believe that Jesus was anything but Christ, or the Son Of GOD, which is not was the Catholics believe.
    There are other religions that include Jesus as a smoke screen to elude and draw in believes to ultimately 'inlighten them' of whatever their distorted minds have contacted to fleece them. I am very harsh against those the try to belittle or make light of the work and sacrifice Christ has done for us, and how He has changed many peoples live, especially how He has reached into my heart and completely transformed me to the point that my x-wife accused me of having been brainwashed; that is from a person who first handed knew me, my violante temper in handling people who stepped on my shadow and ill fated became my training heavy bag for me to practice my katas upon.

That tormented man is now well kept in check by the love of Jesus Christ for me and I for Him; That is why I call myself a bondservant of Christ, and I allow Him to guide my entire life, even if it would mean that I would need to lay my life down for Him and GOD our Father. Amen

Quote Originally Posted by msethsmile View Post
    All this time I assumed "Increasing Our Faith" meant Christians. I tailored my threads as such to edify the Church; certainty of salvation thru the forgiveness of sins found only in the blood stained cross and empty tomb. God for us. Oops, wrong audience. As said before, there are only 2 religions: God does the heavy lifting or man does the heavy lifting (man is his own god).

As some may know, I'm big on Law and Gospel, the two main teachings of Holy Scripture. Remember, the Gospel is a two edged sword--it cuts both ways. It always divides. It creates faith in some (some Christians don't believe this) and drives others further into unbelief. That's one of the reasons Christ spoke in parables--as to not offend/drive away those in unbelief. Notice that Christ always had His hand out drawing lost souls closer to Him--for their own good.* Upon His betrayal, Christ calls Judas "friend". One last effort to save Judas before he and Christ both perish. Of such is the God of Christianity. "...I desire all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth." 1 Tim 2:4 Even Moses (murderer), even David (murderer), even me (murderer), even you.

*Jesus sees Jerusalem before Him on His last trip there--to die for our sins; "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem (and us), you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you would not. Look, your house is left to you desolate." Matthew 23:37 (my emphasis)
    I believe in Easter
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

5. Member
    I believe Jesus is God in the flesh and came to fulfill ALL of the OT prophecies to Israel and bring eternal life to all who believe in him.

My edit : If I ever decide to study Universalism.............my views may change. We serve a awesome God.
    Last edited by godsdozer; 04-04-2021 at 09:52 PM.