Adding pitch to an existing prop???

Let me give you a little history... I’m running an old 1990 champion 176 with a 1997 mercury XR6 150. The boat came with a Laser 2 24” pitch. 3-1/4” prop shaft below pad, 6” setback. At wide-open I was getting into the 6100+ RPM range. This particular motor is rated for 5600 RPM. After some questions on bass boat central folks suggested that I run a 23” tempest plus. Now I know that the tempest is a large diameter prop compared to a Laser and basically adds another inch to the pitch calculation. However I found a great deal on a used 24” Tempest in nearly perfect condition. It runs great, really fast(69mph is fast in a 17 foot boat!), but I’m still exceeding the RPM rating by 200-300 RPMs. My mechanic at the boat shop told me that he could work the prop and add another inch of pitch making it effectively a 25 pitch prop. My question is... is that a good idea? Pros, cons? Or would a factory 25” Tempest be better. Thanks in advance, I am kind of new to the performance side of boating.

2. Member
    Are you positive that your tach is accurate? If it is get the prop worked and be happy.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

3. Pat Goff
    Your target rpms is 5,700, that's where a XR6 makes it's peak power, then it falls off the table. So before you fiddle with your prop, make sure it's doing what it's doing with your FULL fishing load, go fill the fuel tank, fill the livewells and then see what it's doing. Makes a big difference on a 176.

If it still needs more, send it to Josh at Steve's prop at lake fork, he knows how to make a tempest find it's potential.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

4. Member
    You are correct that a prop can be tightened up to increase it’s pitch. Your tachometer does need to be verified. However, I don’t think I would not change the pitch just yet. Sounds like you speed and hole shot are about perfect. I agree with what pmgoffjr said that you will inevitably be running your boat with all kinds miscellaneous weight that will decrease your rpms and speed. If you find loaded you are turning too many rpms I would send it to Mark Croxton for a repair/clean up, slight pitch adjustment. It will cost you about $25 to send it to him and he will charge you about $200 for the repair/adjustment including shipping to send it back to you. He is a highly recommended on this forum and has worked probably 8 or 9 props for me over the years. He has a web site where you will need to electronically fill out a form and include that with the prop if you send it. 69 mph for a 19 ft Champion with a xr6 150 is really good. That Mercury 150 must be really strong! My 1999 191 Champion with a Johnson 200 would run 69 mph on gps saw 70 one time by myself when I first got it with very little gas in it and no gear. Dang for you to get 69 on gps that is really really good ! I honestly would think long and hard about messing with that prop! I would run the snot out if it and just watch your rpms/tach.
    Last edited by Mikes250r; 11-11-2020 at 05:58 AM.

5. Pat Goff
    There were quite a few "special" 176 champs built for James and JD at Airport marine, they were really light layups and could haul the mail. JD had one with a stage III ProV that was all over 80. Sneaky fast boats.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

6. Member
    Thanks Pat! Wow! That is awesome, sure makes for an awesome sleeper. Wayloncat please post some pics of your Champ when you get a minute.
    Last edited by Mikes250r; 11-11-2020 at 06:25 PM.

7. Member
    Yeah guys, I do agree that the tachometer needs to be verified for accuracy. I’ve got a feeling that it’s pretty close. This is the third boat that I’ve ran this motor with, it came in a Ranger 483VS. 55-56mph. The second boat was a Basscat Pantera II. Ran about 60-61. RPMS max on those boats was 5600-5700. However on this little champ 176 I’ve never heard the motor wind up that high.
    I’ve ordered a tiny tach and will compare to the tach on the dash. Mike250r, Here’s a pic of the boat before I installed a troll motor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    Thx Waylon that is really cool especially the color. I love that black! You don’t see many of those anymore.

9. Member
    UPDATE: got the prop worked up to a 25 pitch with a little bit of extra cupping. Very happy with the results. Now I’m running 5600 to 5700 RPMs at max throttle. Running slightly over 71 mph. I’d say that’s pretty bad ass from little 150hp motor. Hole shot is less than one second and 0 to 50 is less than 6 seconds. Ridiculous acceleration. I love this little Champion speed demon. Yeah it’s very tippy while I’m fishing, but oh well. I love passing up modern boats with 225-250s in my little canoe.

10. Member
    That is awesome!

That is hauling the mail with a 150!! Definitely could hurt some feelings at blastoff.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS