Question intruder no spark

hello , my 1997 intruder E175GLEUE was not used for 1-2 months and did not start but was cranking fast enough , checked usual gas and did not see spark so read a lot of posts and the shop manual , i do not know a lot about 2 strokes ignition but found a post about yellow/red stripe wire and saw power when cranked , tryed Championman trick of knocking on the power pack and it finally started ! does that mean its good ??? do i need to get one ? is the OMC part still available ? EET needed ?

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes OEM pack is still available, EET should be changed as best practice.

3. Member
    What type of kill switch do you have? One that turns the key off when the lanyard is pulled or a separate switch?
    Last edited by 316jughead; 11-10-2020 at 11:39 AM.

4. Member
    the one that turns the key

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by danlaboucane View Post
    the one that turns the key
    Not to much trouble with those, unless the switch is bad.

6. Member
    i did change the switch (new one replaced 1-2 years ago ) with the old one so will reinstall it to see if it is the problem , i did check and the pack and sensor is available from OMC

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danlaboucane View Post
    i did change the switch (new one replaced 1-2 years ago ) with the old one so will reinstall it to see if it is the problem , i did check and the pack and sensor is available from OMC

Me no speak with fork tongue. With the lanyard over key style switch you will get spark with Lanyard on or off. Don't ask how I know.

8. Member
    thanks champ , i found that out too and was surprised but i read (probably on bbc) its for resarting the motor after loosing the lanyard or the driver ! hahaha
    and next test is reinstalling the new switch to see if it is the problem , if no change with the switch , i was gonna start it everyday to see if it starts , before storing it ,the freeze is near up here in the great white north ! will do the pack if needed in the spring .
    Does the new OMC pack have a good track record for problems ? i read on OMC site one year warranty IF INSTALLED BY OMC TECH , at $550 can for both parts i am wondering if i will get it installed or do it myself ?

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Forgot about the Canadian exchange rate. Ouch. I'd wait until spring and see what happens. Yes that is how the warranty works, but not sure with BRP anymore.

10. Member
    after a few days starting good it stopped like i turned the key off and now no power to plugs but power from the yellow/red stripe wire in the pack , so pack is gone , removed the timing cover to see if i'd run into trouble getting to EET , everything is easely removable .

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes just be careful pulling the timing disk off.

12. Member
    yes the pointer is a bit in the way , i did it slowly ! am i mistaken that i do not need to reajust anything after the senor and pack change ?

13. Member
    Was the motor running when it just quit? But then would not restart? No adjustments needed when replacing pack. Be careful, and don't pinch any wires.

14. Member
    yes running , i was starting it whenever i could to see if it would fail again ,

thanks for your help guys

15. Member
    You should test the stop circuit before buying a new pack and sensor. Easy to do and doesn't take much time. If that checks out OK, with a sudden loss of spark and a verified 12 volts at the pack, when cranking to start, not just tested at the solenoid but at the pack connector, I might suspect the sensor. Easy for me to say, in the shop I would install a new sensor to see if that fixed it. If not I haven't wasted any time or money, because a new sensor should be replaced with a new power pack. The problem is getting the motor to do it all the time not just every now and then. I hope you checked around for prices on a new OEM pack and sensor, they are expensive where you live.
    Last edited by 316jughead; 11-16-2020 at 06:38 AM.

16. Member
    yes jughead , its a good idea to try sensor first , i have to get it anyway , to check the stop circuit ? will i see the procedure in the shop manual ?
    the sensor is $121 can+ shipping and the pack is $392 so just a bit of shipping to get them separate to maybe save $392 could be a good idea . thanks

17. Member
    ok found the stop circuit troubleshooting in the manual , will try these tests soon , thanks

18. Member
    did test the stop circuit and still no spark so getting the sensor

19. Member
    ok , got my greatest gift today ! intruder started and ran 30 minutes without a sneeze ! merry christmas to me ! since we got two rain days and way too much warmth than normal i installed power pack and it did the trick , thanks guys !