2009/2013 Optimax 250 Pro XS turn key no turn over intermitted

1. 1B756822
    2. 2009 OPTI 250 PRO XS
    WITH 2013 full dress POWERHEAD

I have a Optimax 250 PRO XS 2009 / 2013 and I go to start it and when I turn the key I get nothing. I turn the key to the off position and back on and it started. It did this in the beginning of the summer so I replaced the batteries and the problem was gone (old weak batteries). The Batteries are 1000 CCA. and fully charged. It only does it on the 1st start up of the day, the rest of the day it is fine.
    Does anybody have an idea of what it could be? Starter Solenoid?

Can anybody share how to test the starter solenoid?
    Last edited by flynonh2o; 11-10-2020 at 11:02 AM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Have you tried moving the shift handle back and forth while trying to start?

Checked the Engine Harness Connection?

Checked to make sure the Yellow w/Red Stripe wire on the STARTER SOLENOID is snug/tight?

Inspected battery cable connections at the battery AND at the engine to ensure they are CLEAN, and properly secured?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks Don
    I will let you know what I find.

4. Member
    Don, I got my Ohm meter out and found the solenoid had some resistance from where the red top power supply cable bolts to the solenoid and the yellow one. Is this normal?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Should be a whole lot of resistance (like infinity) unless you have activated the solenoid.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Hey Don,
    I know it has been 4 months, but I am doing maintance on the Opti and wanted to ask you about the solenoid. I have check the Engine Harness Connection, and the Yellow W/Red Stripe wire tightness and the Battery Cable connections, all is secure and clean. I crank it once a month and the last time I did, seven turns on the key with nothing, 8th turn it fired up. Is it likely the Solenoid? Key switch?
    Last edited by flynonh2o; 02-16-2021 at 02:11 PM.

7. Member

8. Member
    Following

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flynonh2o View Post
    Hey Don,
    I know it has been 4 months, but I am doing maintance on the Opti and wanted to ask you about the solenoid. I have check the Engine Harness Connection, and the Yellow W/Red Stripe wire tightness and the Battery Cable connections, all is secure and clean. I crank it once a month and the last time I did, seven turns on the key with nothing, 8th turn it fired up. Is it likely the Solenoid? Key switch?
    Could be either. Did you hear anything (for instance, a "click")?

Could also be Neutral Safety Switch in the control....

Don, I got my Ohm meter out and found the solenoid had some resistance from where the red top power supply cable bolts to the solenoid and the yellow one. Is this normal?
    Wrong tool for the job, Use a a voltmeter
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Could also be Neutral Safety Switch in the control....
    ^^^^
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

12. Member
    Thanks for the reply Don,
    I did not hear any click, but next time I will take the engine cover off so if the solenoid is clicking, I will be able to hear it better.
    I did not touch the controller. I just turned the key. I did this on purpose to rule out the controller.

lpugh, Thanks for the input, I plan on using the voltmeter this weekend also.

13. Member
    I did not touch the controller. I just turned the key. I did this on purpose to rule out the controller.
    The neutral safety switch is inside the control. Next time you try to start and it does nothing, jiggle the shift handle forward/backward and see what happens.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Attachment 441340
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lpugh; 02-20-2021 at 04:13 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

15. Member
    SilverFox579 - Thanks, will do
    lpugh - Thanks for the schematic, I will check the voltage on the Y/R solenoid wire the next time it does it.
    Yesterday I was set up to test and it worked the way it was suppose to, started 1st turn of the key, on one battery too, (not two less voltage ), so I don't know. I did move the controller the last time I ran it on a hose so maybe,, Silverfox, you are on to the culprit ! Don's first item on his list was the shifter. So next time I go to start, I need to remember to move the shifter IF IT DOES IT.

16. Member
    Don was onto the culprit about the neutral safety switch (see #9), I just assisted a bit.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax