Thread: Leaking Triton

Leaking Triton

Long story but good Monday afternoon reading....Little history on the leaking boat, I have a 2008 TR21XHp its in really good shape stored in doors. First owner.
    About 2 years ago I was out with some buddies and they were fishing off the back. About an hour into fishing I noticed the boat was a little sluggish. Something wasn't quite right trolling around. Went to the back and opened the battery compartment, Water was to the top!! Yikes... I know my boat in and out and do most of the work (mechanical and electrical) myself (not engine stuff). Couldn't figure out why my emergency bilge didn't come on. Turned my manual bilge on and it pumped it out pretty quick...
    Got it home and first tried to figure out why the emergency bilge didn't come on. As most of you know the bilge pumps are not fun to get at on the older boats with the electrical switch panel blocking them. Well thanks to a couple of 4" magic worms stuck in the impeller my boat just about sank. Anyway, replaced both pumps while I was in down there...
    Next figuring out where the water came from. Couldn't find any obvious items (transom bolts, rubrail, thru hull fittings)chased it for about 10 months. No dice... Then I started keeping a log on when it happens (emergency bilge would come on) but...not all the time. seemed to happen when I was in a tournament and livewells were full. (leaking Livewell somewhere?) filled them up in the driveway, checked fittings etc. Nope....I was tired of chasing it so I let the bilge do its job for the next 6 months or so.
    Then it got to the point it was just irritating me when the bilge would come on, taking my mind off the fishing. Last fishing trip I told my buddy I'm not get off the water until I find this leak...wind was blowing pretty good that day and put my anchor lock on. My buddy was fishing of the back I was in the back live wells full. Took the flashlight and started to search in the battery well. Well after a while I found a pretty good flow coming from the ladder tube area. Got closer to the square tube and felt around with my fingers, Holes in the tube? Got home and pulled the ladder tube out of the boat (not fun, it had a good seal) Well, for some reason Triton thought it was a good idea to drill holes in the bottom and top of the ladder tube toward the bow end, not to mention the whole bow end was wide open. Get a couple big guys with live wells full on the back and BINGO water level was up in the tube...leaking pretty good (never could find it by myself cause it wasn't leaking). Epoxied the holes closed, make sure to tape inside of tube so ladder slide will still slide (then remove it when cured). Closed the end with a ABS square piece and sealed. Only thing I can figure is the holes (and end open) were there to let the water out when pushing the ladder back in if used while on the water. BUT, if you take your time putting the ladder back in, it well seep around the slides and back out. Never had to use the ladder on the water.
    With the anchor mode on trolling motors I find myself on the back with my partner more and more fishing specific spots. Don't think Triton took the weight issue and water line in in the tube into consideration on the install of these ladders. It may still happen on the newer boats. Hope this helps someone out there (it was 2 years in the making)
    2008 Triton Tr21Xhp / Merc 250pro XS
    St Croix /Abu Garcia
    Go Navy

2. Member
    Interesting. Glad u found the problem.

cd.....when you took the ladder out could you see inside the boat, specifically the pump out hoses? Need to find a way to get to mine & that seems to be a way to do it.