Thread: Winterizing

Winterizing

I have winterized my 2017 200hp G2 by using the icon keypad. Is that all I need to do? Does lower unit need drained? Anything else I should do?
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

2. Member
    I winterized mine this afternoon as well. I've fished five of the last seven days with all of this beautiful weather we've been having. I did not change my lower unit oil because I only have 58 hours on it, and the expansion tank shows no signed of water. I also keep mine in a heated garage so I'm not worried about freezing. You'll have to decide for yourself if you want to change the lower unit oil.

You should probably take your prop off and check for any fishing line wrapped around the shaft and give it some grease. Also top of the oil reservoir.

The beauty of the ETEC is that if we get another nice day, it only takes 90 seconds to winterize it again.

Quote Originally Posted by posmallie View Post
    I winterized mine this afternoon as well. I've fished five of the last seven days with all of this beautiful weather we've been having. I did not change my lower unit oil because I only have 58 hours on it, and the expansion tank shows no signed of water. I also keep mine in a heated garage so I'm not worried about freezing. You'll have to decide for yourself if you want to change the lower unit oil.

You should probably take your prop off and check for any fishing line wrapped around the shaft and give it some grease. Also top of the oil reservoir.

The beauty of the ETEC is that if we get another nice day, it only takes 90 seconds to winterize it again.
    Thank you for the info.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

4. Member
    Down here we winterize our boats a little different, winter we put Irish Coffee in a thermos instead of Budweiser in the cooler

I just did mine yesterday....Motor flusher, a potion of 2 stroke oil, Gas, and Stabil in small can....

Shut her down when I couldn't see the barn through the smoke.....done.

1998 Stratos 285 Pro
    1989 Evinrude XP 150(E150STLCEM)(08199802)
    2004 Ford Explorer NBX V8
    1998 Jeep XJ 4.0L V6
    House Cat named Patches
    Remington 700, Old Cooey 12 gauge, A lot of Fishing Rods
    Some tools, garden hose with outboard attachment, 3 crow decoys, 8 Track Tape player,
    A Billy Bass, and clothing from the 80's.

6. Member
    up here where things freeze, i tilt the motor up and down a couple of times stopping in the middle to be sure it drains, and i check the gear oil for contamination and normally replace it. remove prop and grease the prop shaft. battery goes in the house on a trickle charger somewhere heated. if there was salt water use, gently sponge/wipe everything down with hot soapy water in and outside the cowl to get rid of surface salt residue.