Thread: GT56

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Thanks for the screenshots. I’m still trying to decide whether to go whole hog on the new transducer or hang onto the gt54 for a bit longer.

2. Dustin Ray
    What settings are you running or changing on the 56uhd to dial it in? Im running same setup 8616xsv.

3. Member
    It would beintersting to see the same shots with the GT54 to compare it with. Anyway nobody could complain about that quality for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    For those who might be interested, here are some screenshots I got today. Sorry about the little white dots. We have a lot of leaves in the water.

4. Banned
    Question for you fellas. In the pic, I circled a couple black lines, that I assume are shadow lines from trees, but I don’t see any trees standing. Is there a slight dead spot in the center of the SI or are the trees just so small that they didn’t show up. Or is it just simply a glitch in the SI while it was filling in data.?

Also, most of the pics are brighter on the right and darker on the left. Obviously the right side is the bank and maybe harder ground??? Or is the return just strong due to less distance being covered?

Nice clear images, just a couple thing that popped into my peabrain while viewing.

5. Member
    those lines could be deteriorated timber half dissolved in to the bottom. Or, a glitch lol

It could be brighter because the boat was listing slightly to that side.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ring fry View Post
    Leonard, did you mount that on the Force? Was wondering if you ran the cable inside the shaft or on the outside. I’m supposed to finally get one this week.

Retired grass grower
    im having to replace mine it's tight inside the shaft.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dustinray View Post
    What settings are you running or changing on the 56uhd to dial it in? Im running same setup 8616xsv.

Sorry but I don't remember. I'm sure scroll speed was 4. It seems I get better images with the boat speed I generally use. Generally I start Contrast 75 and Brightness 75, then adjust from there according to the location, depth and range. I'm sure the Brightness was higher as on 1070 it has to be run up quiet a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Question for you fellas. In the pic, I circled a couple black lines, that I assume are shadow lines from trees, but I don’t see any trees standing. Is there a slight dead spot in the center of the SI or are the trees just so small that they didn’t show up. Or is it just simply a glitch in the SI while it was filling in data.?
    Sorry! Your guess is as good as mine. I did notice it too though.

Also, most of the pics are brighter on the right and darker on the left. Obviously the right side is the bank and maybe harder ground??? Or is the return just strong due to less distance being covered?

These pics are as good as it where I fish as far as the terrain is concerned. It's rare on my SideVu to get both sides this good. The bright side is going shallow. The dim side is going to deeper water. Usually the change in depth is so dramatic that I can only adjust one side to be good and the other side is a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    those lines could be deteriorated timber half dissolved in to the bottom. Or, a glitch lol
    It's guaranteed that this area has deteriorated timber but I'd venture a scrolling glitch. If you look really close there are others, thinnner and more faint.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

8. Member
    Leonard, looking at the numbers do you lose a little side vu with the 56 (1000hkz) compared to the 34 (1200hkz)? Is it just because you can run 455/800/1000 on this one transducer that makes it so appealing? I’m running a GT34 uhd and a GT30 with a GT8 in hull now and trying to decide if this is worth the investment
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

9. Banned
    I recall you saying that your lakes tend to slope quickly into deep water or at least I think I remember that. Anyways, I look forward to seeing this new transducer in action.

10. Member
    Komatoz521: It's hard to say. Two things happened with the intro of the GT56. New transducer and improved software. I've not used the latest software with the GT34. You'll have to use the latest software with the GT34 and see what the before and after produces. On the GT56 (1070 kHz) with the current software I am getting at least double the range of the GT34 (1200 kHz) and subjectively I would say 10-15% better detail. . If it's primarily software you should see that range improvement. Technically the GT34 should be the better transducer on UHD. 0.44x55@500 watts vs 0.52x52@500 watts for the GT56, but it's not always that simple. The GT56 is about an inch longer than the GT34 so I think that is the biggest factor of where the crisp detail is coming from. Actually this is the first UHD transducer from Garmin that I like. For me, range comes first. The extra detail is just icing on the cake. And yes the flexibility of 455/800/1000 suits me. Before the GT56 I would run either the GT30 or GT50 (same SideVu). The GT34 sits in the garage. I may fish shallow and deep the same trip. Like today. I got a limit of Crappie - 30-50 ft, then went looking for walleye - 80-110 ft.

Only you can answer whether it's worth it. I do believe the GT56 is better. No way could I get pics like this with the GT52 or GT54. I could come close with the GT34 out to 30ft. As to how many times it would put more fish in the boat-----I can tell crappie from bait with all of these.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

11. Member
    Komatoz521: It's hard to say. Two things happened with the intro of the GT56. New transducer and improved software. I've not used the latest software with the GT34. You'll have to use the latest software with the GT34 and see what the before and after produces. On the GT56 (1070 kHz) with the current software I am getting at least double the range of the GT34 (1200 kHz) and subjectively I would say 10-15% better detail. . If it's primarily software you should see that range improvement. Technically the GT34 should be the better transducer on UHD. 0.44x55@500 watts vs 0.52x52@500 watts for the GT56, but it's not always that simple. The GT56 is about an inch longer than the GT34 so I think that is the biggest factor of where the crisp detail is coming from. Actually this is the first UHD transducer from Garmin that I like. For me, range comes first. The extra detail is just icing on the cake. And yes the flexibility of 455/800/1000 suits me. Before the GT56 I would run either the GT30 or GT50 (same SideVu). The GT34 sits in the garage. I may fish shallow and deep the same trip. Like today. I got a limit of Crappie - 30-50 ft, then went looking for walleye - 80-110 ft.

Only you can answer whether it's worth it. I do believe the GT56 is better. No way could I get pics like this with the GT52 or GT54. I could with the GT34 out to 30ft. As to how many times it would put more fish in the boat-----I can tell crappie from bait with all of these.
    Thank you for your knowledge sir
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

12. Member
    These look great--clearer!

Any idea how the GT56 "upgrade" (from GT54) would look on the smaller units like the echomap 7x series? In your opinion would one notice a considerable difference on the smaller screens?

Thanks!

For those who might be interested, here are some screenshots I got today. Sorry about the little white dots. We have a lot of leaves in the water.

13. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post

Nice clear images, just a couple thing that popped into my peabrain while viewing.

I would say that shadow of the tree sticking up along with other branches that we don’t see because of the way they are leaning.

14. Member
    Those screen shots of the GT56 i think are taken on their top 8600 unit. They are great pictures for sure. I dont know if you can equate that the ECHOMAP 7x series will give you the same quality results. You are talking about a big difference in price point of the units. Differences in the hardware quality is important and should be considered when deciding if a transducer upgrade will yield an acceptable return on the cost. As i said in a previous post Garmin should consider posting pictures as what you should expect with your respective unit when offering things like transducer upgrades. A written description is not enough in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by NRT459 View Post
    These look great--clearer!

Any idea how the GT56 "upgrade" (from GT54) would look on the smaller units like the echomap 7x series? In your opinion would one notice a considerable difference on the smaller screens?

Thanks!

15. Member
    Thanks, that’s what I figured. I’m new to the units so wasn’t sure if those images would translate down” to other units. Thanks again for the insights
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    Those screen shots of the GT56 i think are taken on their top 8600 unit. They are great pictures for sure. I dont know if you can equate that the ECHOMAP 7x series will give you the same quality results. You are talking about a big difference in price point of the units. Differences in the hardware quality is important and should be considered when deciding if a transducer upgrade will yield an acceptable return on the cost. As i said in a previous post Garmin should consider posting pictures as what you should expect with your respective unit when offering things like transducer upgrades. A written description is not enough in my opinion.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ring fry View Post
    Leonard, did you mount that on the Force? Was wondering if you ran the cable inside the shaft or on the outside. I’m supposed to finally get one this week.

Retired grass grower
    the 56 won't fit in a force I was told by garmin support. Correct me if I'm wrong getting ready to replace my damaged one

17. Member
    It can be done if you leave off the fin.
    Attached Images Attached Images

18. Member
    You got any downscan screenshots?

19. Member
    Great images, Thanks.

20. Member
    I ground off the front part of the skeg and trimmed it down a little where the front bolts go. I works great!!

Retired grass grower

ROCK CHALK

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast