Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Be alert and watch for his coming

No one knows when Jesus is coming back. There will be no signs or warnings.
    http://lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVa...gMatthew24.htm
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel14 View Post
    No one knows when Jesus is coming back. There will be no signs or warnings.
    http://lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVa...gMatthew24.htm

Matthew 24:33 "Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it is near, right at the door."

What do you think "when you see all these things" is referencing ? What things ? What is near ? what does "right at the door mean ?

Thanks

4. Banned
    I think its what would have happened had the Jews recognized Jesus for who he was.

Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    Matthew 24:33 "Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it is near, right at the door."

What do you think "when you see all these things" is referencing ? What things ? What is near ? what does "right at the door mean ?

Thanks
    From the article......It references Scripture. Jesus is talking about the destruction of Jerusalem when he refers to them seeing signs........

In addition to general signs, Jesus gives his disciples specific signs to watch for which would tell them that the destruction of Jerusalem would be soon. Before Jerusalem would be destroyed, the gospel would be preached to the whole world (Matthew 24:14). Paul stated this was accomplished in Colossians 1:23. Just prior to the destruction, the "abomination of desolation", which Daniel prophesied, would take place. In Luke's account of these same matters, Jesus said that the Roman army would surround Jerusalem just prior to the desolation (Luke 21:20). Josephus speaks of a tyrant, named Simon, who slew the priests "as they were about their sacred duties. . . many persons, who came thither with great zeal from the ends of the earth, to offer sacrifices at this celebrated place . . . fell down before their own sacrifices themselves, and sprinkled that altar . . . with their own blood; till the dead bodies of strangers were mingled together with those of their own country, and those of profane persons with those of the priests, and the blood of all sorts of dead carcases stood in lakes in the holy courts themselves." This happened just prior to Titus marching on Jerusalem.

These signs would give those who paid heed to them plenty of advance warning (Matthew 24:32-33). When they saw the signs, Jesus urges his followers to flee Jerusalem as fast as they possibly could (Matthew 24:16-22). He urged them to pray that the time would not come when flight would be hindered, such as during the winter or on the Sabbath when the gates of Jerusalem would be closed. Jesus also warned them not to delay because of misleading statements by people falsely calling themselves the Christ (Matthew 24:23-28). Many people will ignore Jesus' warnings because of these people. However, the Christians have their warning (Matthew 24:24-25). According to traditional history, Christians heeded their Master and not one Christian perished in the destruction of Jerusalem

There will NO Warning for the end of time........

The End of the World

Jesus now moves to a new topic, concerning when the end of the world will take place. Unlike the end of Jerusalem, the time for the end of the world is not known - even Jesus did not know when the end will be (Matthew 24:36). Notice that Jesus calls this event "that day." This is the same phrase used by Paul (I Thessalonians 5:2) and Peter (II Peter 3:10-13) in regard to the end of the world.

The end of Jerusalem would be preceded by unusual events, but at the end of the age, the times will appear to be normal (Matthew 24:37-39). Paul said people would be thinking contented thoughts of peace and safety (I Thessalonians 5:3). Nothing unusual would precede the end. No warnings, no signs, nothing to mark the event in advance.

Without advance warning, there is no possibility of preparing for the end at the last moment. Therefore, we must be prepared for the event to happen at any time (Matthew 24:42-45; I Thessalonians 5:4-11). Nor will there be an opportunity to hide from this event (Matthew 24:40-41; I Thessalonians 5:3). This will be a universal judgment (Matthew 25:31-46), whom no one can escape
    " A Few Good Fish"

6. Member
    From the article......It references Scripture. Jesus is talking about the destruction of Jerusalem when he refers to them seeing signs........

In addition to general signs, Jesus gives his disciples specific signs to watch for which would tell them that the destruction of Jerusalem would be soon. Before Jerusalem would be destroyed, the gospel would be preached to the whole world (Matthew 24:14). Paul stated this was accomplished in Colossians 1:23. Just prior to the destruction, the "abomination of desolation", which Daniel prophesied, would take place. In Luke's account of these same matters, Jesus said that the Roman army would surround Jerusalem just prior to the desolation (Luke 21:20). Josephus speaks of a tyrant, named Simon, who slew the priests "as they were about their sacred duties. . . many persons, who came thither with great zeal from the ends of the earth, to offer sacrifices at this celebrated place . . . fell down before their own sacrifices themselves, and sprinkled that altar . . . with their own blood; till the dead bodies of strangers were mingled together with those of their own country, and those of profane persons with those of the priests, and the blood of all sorts of dead carcases stood in lakes in the holy courts themselves." This happened just prior to Titus marching on Jerusalem.

These signs would give those who paid heed to them plenty of advance warning (Matthew 24:32-33). When they saw the signs, Jesus urges his followers to flee Jerusalem as fast as they possibly could (Matthew 24:16-22). He urged them to pray that the time would not come when flight would be hindered, such as during the winter or on the Sabbath when the gates of Jerusalem would be closed. Jesus also warned them not to delay because of misleading statements by people falsely calling themselves the Christ (Matthew 24:23-28). Many people will ignore Jesus' warnings because of these people. However, the Christians have their warning (Matthew 24:24-25). According to traditional history, Christians heeded their Master and not one Christian perished in the destruction of Jerusalem

The End of the World

Jesus now moves to a new topic, concerning when the end of the world will take place. Unlike the end of Jerusalem, the time for the end of the world is not known - even Jesus did not know when the end will be (Matthew 24:36). Notice that Jesus calls this event "that day." This is the same phrase used by Paul (I Thessalonians 5:2) and Peter (II Peter 3:10-13) in regard to the end of the world.

The end of Jerusalem would be preceded by unusual events, but at the end of the age, the times will appear to be normal (Matthew 24:37-39). Paul said people would be thinking contented thoughts of peace and safety (I Thessalonians 5:3). Nothing unusual would precede the end. No warnings, no signs, nothing to mark the event in advance.

Without advance warning, there is no possibility of preparing for the end at the last moment. Therefore, we must be prepared for the event to happen at any time (Matthew 24:42-45; I Thessalonians 5:4-11). Nor will there be an opportunity to hide from this event (Matthew 24:40-41; I Thessalonians 5:3). This will be a universal judgment (Matthew 25:31-46), whom no one can escape

If I understand your comment, you believe Matthew 24:1-35 speaks of Jerusalem's demise at the end of "the age" (aion)....................but in verse 36 you believe Jesus is speaking about the end of time / end of the world (cosmos, kairos) ?

Go back and read Matthew 23. Yes Jesus is referring to his return in vs 36. Yes Jesus is talking about the end of Jerusalem in the previous verses.
    " A Few Good Fish"

8. Member
    Go back and read Matthew 23. Yes Jesus is referring to his return in vs 36. Yes Jesus is talking about the end of Jerusalem in the previous verses.
    Thank you for the response. I have read Matthew a few times. Can you point to a few old testament verses which speak directly about the end of the world or an end of time ?

Thank you for the response. I have read Matthew a few times. Can you point to a few old testament verses which speak directly about the end of the world or an end of time ?
    Daniel chapters 7-12. Phrophesies about the 2nd coming of Jesus.
    " A Few Good Fish"

This article has plenty of references about Christ coming back. The Bible is filled with prophesy about it.

http://lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVa...nProphecy.html
    " A Few Good Fish"

11. Member
    Daniel chapters 7-12. Phrophesies about the 2nd coming of Jesus.
    Tarheel, thanks again for the response. I have read Daniel chapters 7-12 a few times as well. I have not seen anything in those chapters that speak about an "end of time" or " the end of the world". Can you please take the time to provide the text that speaks of this ?

Last edited by godsdozer; 11-11-2020 at 08:00 PM.

12. Member
    This article has plenty of references about Christ coming back. The Bible is filled with prophesy about it.

http://lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVa...nProphecy.html

I just read the whole article you provided and I did not see anywhere in the article which spoke about the "end of the world" or the "end of time". Could please outline where in the article it states that ? Thank you.
    Last edited by godsdozer; 11-11-2020 at 08:00 PM.

13. Member
    I came across a couple of verses in the Old Testament that may contradict what you have posted about the earth being destroyed and an end of time event.

Psalm 78:69

New King James Version

69 And He built His sanctuary like the heights,
    Like the earth which He has established forever.

Ecclesiastes 1:4

New King James Version

4 One generation passes away, and another generation comes;
    But the earth abides forever ​

but the term / definition of "earth" may need further clarification from scripture.

I do know this.............there is no contradiction in the Holy Scriptures but rather misguided interpretation of terms and definitions.

14. Banned
    I do know this.............there is no contradiction in the Holy Scriptures but rather misguided interpretation of terms and definitions.

That is true, but its not as simple as adding to the end of a post- using it as a period on the end of a thought.
    Tarheel could say the same thing at the end of his post and it wouldn't make it any more or less factual.

15. Member

The End of the World

How many times, if any, do you know of that God has destroyed the earth before 2020 ? Lets include the Heavens too prior to the year 2020 ?

LOL GBS, I just saw you chimed in above so you can answer this question as well. (thats my edit HaHa)

16. Banned
    I haven't followed your discussion with Tarheel super close. By destroying the Earth you mean like the flood? I guess destroy has varying levels to it.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    I haven't followed your discussion with Tarheel super close. By destroying the Earth you mean like the flood? I guess destroy has varying levels to it.
    I am open to all types of destruction of the heaven's and the earth as the bible has depicted. This may help us determine and or understand Matthew 23,24,25 along with a ton of other N.T. passages that have been mentioned in passing in this thread.

Remember , lets not run down rabbits holes.....................lets keep it on topic, specifically my conversation with Tarheel.

18. Banned
    Come across this today. According to this Jesus returned in 1914. https://www.jw.org/en/library/books/...ible-prophecy/
    I am really confused how they can reconcile this with Matthew 24.

I just read the whole article you provided and I did not see anywhere in the article which spoke about the "end of the world" or the "end of time". Could please outline where in the article it states that ? Thank you.
    Both of these reference Scripture that prophesies the end of times..... One important thing to remember........the Old Testament and New Testament mirror themselves...Meaning that there were lots and I mean lots of things prophesied in the Old Testament that came true and WILL come true. Please stop taking Scriptures out of context. I am done answering questions about this. I have answered your questions with Scripture to back it up.
    https://www.northwestcofc.org/bible-...last-days.html

http://lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVa...12/04-29a.html
    " A Few Good Fish"

20. Member
    Both of these reference Scripture that prophesies the end of times..... One important thing to remember........the Old Testament and New Testament mirror themselves...Meaning that there were lots and I mean lots of things prophesied in the Old Testament that came true and WILL come true. Please stop taking Scriptures out of context. I am done answering questions about this. I have answered your questions with Scripture to back it up.
    https://www.northwestcofc.org/bible-...last-days.html

http://lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVa...12/04-29a.html
    Hello Tarheel,

where did I take scripture out of context ?

You made a statement in my thread about the "end of time" or "end of the world". I simply asked you where those old testament scriptures are located . I asked where they are located in the old testament because Paul said he taught nothing but what the Law and Prophets taught therefore what is taught in the new testament can be found in the OT.

You stated in your last post "end of times" I am not familiar with that phrase in the bible. Where is that phrase used in the Old Testament or New Testament ?
    Last edited by godsdozer; 11-12-2020 at 10:53 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast