What to do after the kill of a deer in warm weather?

I'll be in the woods tomorrow. Temps wll be in the low 60s at first light. Then warming up into the 70s. Now the question. What do you do with the animal after field dressing? I do have a fridge in the garage so am thinking of taking it home thenskinning the animal and quartering it for storage inside the fridge. Or should I just go ahead and butcher the animal once I get home. It' about 40 minutes to the house.
    Thanks for what you have experienced.
    Mike

You can get some ice and put it in the cavity until you get home then skin and de bone the meat and put in fridge then work on it in the next few days. Good luck in your hunt

3. Member
    I gut them and take them to the processor. If you are doing it yourself you will need to either quarter it and put it in a cooler of ice or inside a refrigerator. Of course butchering it that day is an option but imo it is better to let the meat rest a few days.

I have hunted in AZ and GA for many years where the temps always seem to be in that range. I field dress it where it lays then get it to camp. I skin it quickly to get the over all temp of the meat down. Keep it out of the sun and use ice if necessary. The other option once it is skinned is to get it to a processor. They will put it in their cooler which is the best case for me. I am too far from home. Since you have the tools and the ability, I would field dress it where it drops, take it home to skin it, quarter it then put it in the fridge for 10 days.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    I've always deboned the hams while they are still attached, removed the shoulders, back straps, loins, etc and throw it all on ice.