2021 Merc 225 ProXS 4-Stroke
    24 pitch Fury
    10" manual jackplate
    PTP 3 1/2 inches
    Full Tournament Load(I Carry a lot)
    Holeshot: Great
    63mph@5980rpm
    Not sure about roostertail but it steers fine

I recently repowered and just think I should be getting a little more out of this thing. I have been told that these motors are made to turn close to 6200rpm and that I should probably be running a 23 pitch prop. But, with the holeshot so good would this be defeating the purpose of gaining speed? I do not have a water pressure reading yet so I'm not wanting to adjust on the jackplate much until this is fixed. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by Missouri Jay; 11-08-2020 at 05:35 PM.

Going down in pitch will make the hole shot even quicker.

3. Member
    You might try coming up to 3" PTP and see if RPMs and speèd come up with the TM2 lower unit you might be even to able to run PTP at 2 3/4" below.

If you don't achieve what you are looking for a Fury 3 23" or a Bravo 1 FS in 25.5" might be the ticket.

I am not recommending you buy these props but if you can arrange a test you should be able to improve your speed and overall performance and keep a good holeshot especially with the Bravo.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

4. Member
    Get the water pressure gauge before raising your motor and does it feel like it's carrying the bow or not. With a heavy load a tempest would be a better prop than the fury and right now you have 22% slip which is way too much with a Gen 2 lower.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Get the water pressure gauge before raising your motor and does it feel like it's carrying the bow or not. With a heavy load a tempest would be a better prop than the fury and right now you have 22% slip which is way too much with a Gen 2 lower.
    This boat runs really flat, that's just hull design. It seems like it lift as much as it did with the Opti but not really sure. I was running a 25 Tempest on my 2 stroke.

6. Member
    Were does the water break from under the hull when your WOT at the console or near the rear? You know too much jack plate or too much weight in the bow will make it run flat too.

7. Member
    A little update. I ran across a deal on a 23p Tempest Plus and put it on the motor. I also got the water pressure sensor installed for my Smartcraft. I have only had it out one time but it performed better. I am still 3 1/2 PTP, it jumped out of the hole, it lifted the boat really well, got it up to 67.5mph @5920rpm, and had 32psi water pressure. It actually chine walked just a little which it has never done. This was by myself with 3/4 tank of fuel and no water in the livewells. I will run it soon with 2 people and some water.

8. Member
    I'm going through the same changeover. Blew my 2007 225 Pro XS and replacing it with a 2021 225 Pro XS 4-stroke. I've been told everything from a 22 Tempest to a 23 Fury to a Bravo 1 to keeping my B&B'd Tempest 25P. But Mark Croxton recommended a 23 Tempest Plus and that's what I'm going to try when I get the motor later this month. He said my boat was bow heavy and the Tempest would give me more lift than the other props.

9. Member
    Raise it up to 3" under and try it again you have way too much water pressure and running low will cause it to chine walk.