Gas fumes in battery compartment?

I have a 2017 198P. I’ve always blocked the rear lid open because of the smell. Is this normal because of the tank vent? Stinks up the garage. I don’t think it’s enough to be a fire concern. What are your thoughts, Allen

I had a fitting leak on my RT 178. The line going into it was loose. I would check and make sure nothing is leaking. I would have some concerns.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I agree with crankwv, the tank is pressurized and you should not have anything more than a very minor smell of gas.

Does your fill line have a spit back valve like this. The discoloration is from vapors leaching around the gasket at the center joint. I had a gas smell for the longest time and did not figure it out until it started leaking liquid. Replaced it and no more smell.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

5. Member
    Mine does not have the split valve. The big fuel filler hose and the vent hose run behind the 2 trolling motor batteries. I can reach up under the deck to the filler spout. Everything fills tight. My concern is the 2 hoses disappear under the main bulkhead behind the seats and connects to the tank somewhere. But I cannot see or reach that connection. Does anyone know if the tank outlets can be seen under the passenger seat if it’s removed? I have the boat parked inside the garage with a water heater. I replaced the original start battery today and I’m now concerned about the concentration of the fumes inside the boat. Thanks for the help, Allen

6. Member
    My spit back valve had a crack on the bottom . Used a mirror to fine it.

7. Member
    Does your fill line have a spit back valve like this. The discoloration is from vapors leaching around the gasket at the center joint. I had a gas smell for the longest time and did not figure it out until it started leaking liquid. Replaced it and no more smell.
    Had the same problem in a 2012 Lowe Stinger and my Ranger. Warranty item, too.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

8. Member
    Thanks Gents, I will find the spit back valve and post what I find. Thanks

Also, there is a pressure relief type valve on the tank. It is gray in color and round on top. They used a couple of different designs there. If pressure builds up in the tank, it can vent a little bit of gas fumes. They are also prone to cracking a little on top.

If you open the gas fill lid when it is cool in the morning, close the cap and let the sun heat things up and then mid afternoon open the gas fill cap and listen for a pressure gas fume escape, it will tell you if things are sealed properly. Mine has a little poof sound when I open the cap on a hot day. EPA regulation has that system tight now with a little pressure relief on the gray vent valve when the pressure builds too high.

If the spit back valve looks ok then you might look here.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

10. Member
    Thank you Panama!

11. Member
    So how do I inspect the hoses at the tank? How do you remove the passenger seat. There are no exposed mounting bolts on the seats. Thanks, Allen
    Attached Images Attached Images

The bottom of the seat slides forward, then the back of seat needs to be pulled forward as you pull up. I've had the passenger side of mine off a number of times to vacuum the carpet. I would be surprised if there is an opening under the driver's side. I think the carpeted area under the seats and coin box will need to be removed. It's fastened by screws. Let me know what you find.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelbyal View Post
    The bottom of the seat slides forward, then the back of seat needs to be pulled forward as you pull up. I've had the passenger side of mine off a number of times to vacuum the carpet. I would be surprised if there is an opening under the driver's side. I think the carpeted area under the seats and coin box will need to be removed. It's fastened by screws. Let me know what you find.
    Ok, got it! I don’t what I would do without you guys, lol. I will try that tonight and keep everyone posted on my progress. Thanks, Allen