Ionic Lithium 12V 50AH gone bad

Anyone had an Ionic go bad on them? It seems to have shut itself down. I’ve sent my salesperson (BBC Member) an email and requested warranty info from website. I’m not making a complaint, it just happened today (Sunday), and everything electronic is subject to failure. Just curious if anyone else has had any problems or made a warranty claim yet.

I’ll post my experience here as I go through the process.

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Let us know but Drew will get you taken care of....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassgunner View Post
    Anyone had an Ionic go bad on them? It seems to have shut itself down. I’ve sent my salesperson (BBC Member) an email and requested warranty info from website. I’m not making a complaint, it just happened today (Sunday), and everything electronic is subject to failure. Just curious if anyone else has had any problems or made a warranty claim yet.

I’ll post my experience here as I go through the process.
    Replied to your email. 99.999% of the time the battery will just be in sleep mode, I replied with some procedures on the wakeup process, once we get it woke up and charging we can trouble shoot why that battery was drained until shutdown. Either way we are here to help and will make sure you are taken care of.
    you can reply back to the email or text me for faster response 910-722-0001

"Drew"
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    Replied to your email. 99.999% of the time the battery will just be in sleep mode, I replied with some procedures on the wakeup process, once we get it woke up and charging we can trouble shoot why that battery was drained until shutdown. Either way we are here to help and will make sure you are taken care of.
    you can reply back to the email or text me for faster response 910-722-0001

"Drew"
    Drew is the man

That right there is why my next battery purchase is going to be with Drew
    "The handicapped angler"

6. Member
    I had one 50a quit on me after 4 months or so. App showed everything was perfect but no juice at the posts. Drew was great, we tried all kinds of procedures to wake the thing up but no go. Had a replacement in two days. Before I leave the house now I check that my Ulterra has power, just to be sure all OK.
    Alweld 1856 Stick Steer with 70 Yamaha
    Dual Power Pole Blades/ Helix 10 MSI
    80# Ulterra Link/2 Ionic Lithium 50s/ShuttleSlide Mount

USAF Ret

Drew walked me through many attempts to wake the battery albeit unsuccessfully. However, Ionic (Drew) is sending me a new battery. Great product and customer service. No regrets here and I highly recommend Ionics for those who are considering the change from traditional batteries.

Thanks Drew and Jeff, very happy with the product and customer service!

By the way, I wasn’t in a rush and the turnaround time on the resolution was squarely on me, not Drew.

9. Member
    Which all brings up a question on how the BMS works.

If the BMS disconnects the battery to protect it due to low voltage how can you ever get charge into it past the disconnected BMS to start charging and get the voltage high enough to reset the BMS?

So far my experience with BMS low voltage shutoff is is that if you left it sit for a while once the load was removed it would eventually self-recover enough to reset the BMS and you could charge it. I assumed that when the load was removed the voltage the BMS was detecting would rise and allow recovery..

So questions:

1. What is the intended method for recovering from BMS low voltage shut down?
    2. Is there a something like a resistor and diode bypassing the BMS that would allow a small charging current to be accepted which over time would restore voltage enough to reset the BMS?
    3. If not why not?

10. Moderator
    Had a Ionic 50ah battery go bad and had a new one in 2 days. Customer service is second to none.

11. Member
    Th sneaky part of the failure I had was that the app showed the battery to be perfect. To make sure app wasn't the problem I deleted the app and then reinstalled it. Same issue...app showed battery fully charged & everything else perfect, but no power at the posts.

USAF Ret

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann-Marie View Post
    Which all brings up a question on how the BMS works.

If the BMS disconnects the battery to protect it due to low voltage how can you ever get charge into it past the disconnected BMS to start charging and get the voltage high enough to reset the BMS?

So far my experience with BMS low voltage shutoff is is that if you left it sit for a while once the load was removed it would eventually self-recover enough to reset the BMS and you could charge it. I assumed that when the load was removed the voltage the BMS was detecting would rise and allow recovery..

So questions:

1. What is the intended method for recovering from BMS low voltage shut down?
    2. Is there a something like a resistor and diode bypassing the BMS that would allow a small charging current to be accepted which over time would restore voltage enough to reset the BMS?
    3. If not why not?
    I have a different brand. Low voltage cuttoff is 8 volts. Reconnect is 9.2. I would think all BMS have a similar set up. If in fact the BMS did not pull out early and the battery was drawn completely down, then you would be dead in the water(so to speak) Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichW View Post
    Th sneaky part of the failure I had was that the app showed the battery to be perfect. To make sure app wasn't the problem I deleted the app and then reinstalled it. Same issue...app showed battery fully charged & everything else perfect, but no power at the posts.
    I would think the battery was fine but the BMS had a fault that prevented Charging.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    I would think the battery was fine but the BMS had a fault that prevented Charging.
    nope, app showed battery fully charged

USAF Ret

15. Member
    What I was trying to say was, even though the battery was fine(charged) The BMS falsely shut down the battery. That is what I surmised from your description.