Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PP 8' Blade Hydraulic Oil Change Out.

I’ve had my 2 x 8’ Blade PP’s for 5 years now. Wonderful equipment and trouble free to this point. I had a peek inside both units hydraulic oil tanks and the oil appears to be a little dirty. Time for a swap out!!! So, what’s the best hydraulic oil to go back with? Any filters involved? Thanks for any feedback!!!
    ……Ranger Randy 521c

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    you should make sure the screens are clean especially after 5 years recommend about every 18 months to change it. You can go with any ISO 32 fluid however we recommend the green marine as it is environmental friendly.

Thanks for the input, I will check the screens and post a photo of the result just for sh-ts and giggles...
    ……Ranger Randy 521c

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Randy 521-C View Post
    Thanks for the input, I will check the screens and post a photo of the result just for sh-ts and giggles...

united in the pursuit of bass.

6. mikesxpress
    Even though the
    You-Boob video guy didn't replace the "green bean" plant based fluid, and obviously he doesn't know why he had snot blocking the screens, it does show the buggers hanging off.
    If you have the green bean fluid in there now it's a PIA to get it all purged out but worth it. The petroleum oil you don't have to fool with for 5+ years.

Plant snot:

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Even though the
    You-Boob video guy didn't replace the "green bean" plant based fluid, and obviously he doesn't know why he had snot blocking the screens, it does show the buggers hanging off.
    If you have the green bean fluid in there now it's a PIA to get it all purged out but worth it. The petroleum oil you don't have to fool with for 5+ years.
    knew you would be along shortly Mike

i knew mike would be by too, but i can say i had a line blow and i didnt think to shut off the livewells rite away and i can say the green marine stuff did not hurt my fish.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

9. Banned
    The line probably blew BECAUSE of the green stuff. if its anything like the stuff we used in hydraulic draw bridges it goes acidic over time and started eating things. We used to have a saying... Change it in a year,,, or in 13 months it will change itself. Had a friend that made biodiesel and tried to use the stuff after we changed it, and it was too acidic.
    Dont work with it any more but havent noticed a problem lately I think we went to something else.

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadfred View Post
    The line probably blew BECAUSE of the green stuff. if its anything like the stuff we used in hydraulic draw bridges it goes acidic over time and started eating things. We used to have a saying... Change it in a year,,, or in 13 months it will change itself. Had a friend that made biodiesel and tried to use the stuff after we changed it, and it was too acidic.
    Dont work with it any more but havent noticed a problem lately I think we went to something else.
    the old lines ( not the new hoses) used to degrade do to uv rays over time as well as some came apart at the fittings do to improper install of the fitting and not gettting a good square cut on the tubing etc. Had nothing to do with the green marine fluid. If it was acidicy being caused by the fluuid over time I suspect we would have seen a ton more lines blowing and to be honest it wasnt all that common of an issue compared to the number of poles out there being used .
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 11-11-2020 at 01:12 PM.

11. mikesxpress
    Just trying to save folks some grief Kevin.

12. Member
    Changing fluid every few years I see as standard maintenance. It also gives me a chance to check things out, wipe things down and check bolts for tightness. A small price to pay for the consistent performance they give me. I go through each system periodically and do the same. Jack plate,steering system etc.

13. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Astyle954 View Post
    Changing fluid every few years I see as standard maintenance. It also gives me a chance to check things out, wipe things down and check bolts for tightness. A small price to pay for the consistent performance they give me. I go through each system periodically and do the same. Jack plate,steering system etc.

14. Member
    if you use any other brand of oil besides the green marine will it void the warranty

15. mikesxpress
    Negative Ghostrider.
    Any ISO-32 oil is suitable for PP use.

16. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    if you use any other brand of oil besides the green marine will it void the warranty
    no, however we recommend green marine

17. Member
    About how much fluid does it take for a change?

18. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter Man View Post
    About how much fluid does it take for a change?
    lil less then a quart per pump.

19. Member
    Thanks kandK.

20. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter Man View Post
    Thanks kandK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast