Thread: Weight

Weight

When reading the weight on boat manufacturers web site, sis that typically with motor and trailer or just the boat? For instance. Phoenix says their 920 weighs 1920lbs. Is that engine and trailer?

Greg

Usually it's just the boat without any gas/gear/people/motor/trailer
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

Most of them will show it as Hull wt.. which is pretty much bare bones.

You should be able to get the weights of each off the manufactures web site and then add them together. Remember, this is a DRY weight, no fuel, no gear !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

5. Member
    I think this answers my question. I was thinking about ordering one of those new Broncos. Checking to see if it would tow a glass boat. It only has a towing capacity of 3500lbs.

My nitro z8 4 batteries trolling motor 68 gallons of gas, oil full, to much tackle and trailer come in at 4480 pounds the hull came in at like 2000 dry, I have read trailers are 1000, so yeah probably not enough rating.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue76 View Post
    I think this answers my question. I was thinking about ordering one of those new Broncos. Checking to see if it would tow a glass boat. It only has a towing capacity of 3500lbs.
    If you're planning on towing an 18+ foot boat I think you'll quickly be over the maximum recommended tow weight. I added everything up on my 18'9" Ranger R83, Evinrude 150, Ranger Trail Trailer, gas, gear, etc. and was over 3,500 lbs. The other think you need to keep in mind is the wheelbase of the vehicle. A shorter wheelbase tow vehicle is going to be more susceptible to trailer sway. Friend of my niece was pulling a boat with a Jeep and the trailer started swaying and ended up flipping the Jeep and he did not survive.

8. Member
    To give you an idea my RT188/115 Merc weighed 2700 pounds ready to fish. I stopped and paid to weigh it one day on the way to the lake. If the Bronco is 3500 max the 920 will be about a thousand pounds over.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    To give you an idea my RT188/115 Merc weighed 2700 pounds ready to fish. I stopped and paid to weigh it one day on the way to the lake. If the Bronco is 3500 max the 920 will be about a thousand pounds over.
    That is interesting, I have the same package and would have expected it to be under 2500 pounds. Thanks for posting, I tow with a vehicle having a 3500 lb. rating.

10. Member
    TCE Mine is a dual console with an Ultrex and I carry enough tackle to qualify as a "tackle boat" LOL. I also replaced the group 27 trolling motor batteries with group 31 AGM's. I have a group 27 AGM for a starting battery.

I normally go by the ole 80% rule, even that that you're good with a 3500 pound rated vehicle.