New Mercury 4S growl on/off feature

Saw a video online of a guy pushing a button to turn on and off the “growl” feature on these new motors. Mine “growls” all the time. Is it that simple to switch back and forth or is that a feature you have to add? Also - how do you switch the “growl/exhaust” off if it’s more complex?

2. Member
    I kind of like the "growl" sound when the engine fires. But when I ran 2.5 Merc 2 strokes I removed the inner exhaust liner and drilled the mid section just above the anti cav plate. Sucker sounded like a small block Chevy with a high lift cam.
    Last edited by 1Holeshot; 11-08-2020 at 08:08 PM.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Certain 4S models (primarily the Verado series) have an Exhaust Selector Switch option. Not available on the ProXS series.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I'm amazed how much louder mine is on plane (throatier sounding) when I swapped props from a fury 3 to a bravo xs.. sounds like a totally different motor on plane
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    I'm amazed how much louder mine is on plane (throatier sounding) when I swapped props from a fury 3 to a bravo xs.. sounds like a totally different motor on plane
    Bravo XS has more STERN lift than a Fury.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    Lol. I put a bravo on a sho and it made me wonder if I did something wrong because it sounded so different.

7. Member
    i figured it was a "non-proxs" option but was inquiring as i fish with the motor running quite a bit ditch hopping.