Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Never heard of it. Sounds like a great way to “cultivate mass” haha.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

2. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Never heard of chocolate gravy. Would this not be chocolate sauce by another name?

Just askin' what makes it gravy?
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

3. Banned
    Never heard of it,but willing to try sounds good.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Bass View Post
    Never heard of chocolate gravy. Would this not be chocolate sauce by another name?

Just askin' what makes it gravy?
    Maybe that flour is used. Not sure just my guess.

5. Member
    have had it lots as a kid---rather have white gravy on my biscuits
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

6. Member
    Never heard of it. Red eye .....brown and white flour gravy.

7. Banned
    Never had or heard of chocolate gravy, I have had some kind of mole sauce (Mexican food) that had chocolate in it. Very different and a bit too sweet.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Here is a general recipe...not our family version but kinda gives you an idea.

https://southernbite.com/chocolate-gravy/
    Looks delicious! Gonna have to try it soon.

Warm chocolate gravy over warm pancakes with a big pat of butter in the center of is the breakfast of gods.

10. Member
    Yep, my grandmother in northeast Mississippi used to make it.

11. Novice Boaters Forum Moderator jclark408's Avatar
    Staple at my house growing up
    ------Co-founder of Post Derailment, LLC---------

12. Member
    I made some this morning.

13. Member
    Ate it mostly as a kid while visiting relatives in Tennessee. Didn’t see it much in N. Alabama. Put it over buttermilk biscuits. My favorite was maple syrup mixed with butter on Gramma’s biscuits.

14. Member
    Chocolate gravy on biscuits! Yum yum! Mom made it for me until she died at 95. Think I got to have some soon!

16. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    I wonder if thats what I saw served at Druthers awhile back. Just noticed they had a side sorta crock pot setup with a dark gravy for breakfast.

Never heard of it myself but I had never heard of bread pudding until I tried it.

So you were in Campbellsville KY then because that is the only Druthers restaurant left in existence...and yes what you saw was chocolate gravy. There is not many restaurants that serve chocolate gravy but yes Druthers in Campbellsville has it.

We occasionally eat it at home. My wife's recipe is a little on the thin side but has a great flavor. At the grocery store we go to they have a pre mixed package you can buy to make it. All you do is add warm water. If you follow the directions I like the thickness but the flavor is a tad weak compared to the way my wife makes it.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    So you were in Campbellsville KY then because that is the only Druthers restaurant left in existence...and yes what you saw was chocolate gravy. There is not many restaurants that serve chocolate gravy but yes Druthers in Campbellsville has it.

We occasionally eat it at home. My wife's recipe is a little on the thin side but has a great flavor. At the grocery store we go to they have a pre mixed package you can buy to make it. All you do is add warm water. If you follow the directions I like the thickness but the flavor is a tad weak compared to the way my wife makes it.
    Yup you are correct. That little Druthers still has some good breakfast. Had always wondered what that brown looking gravy was.

I remember growing up in Mt.Washington when Druthers was one of the only fast food restaurants there.

I still fix it. It's a Thanksgiving breakfast tradition. Like mine over hot homeade biscuits plenty of butter and a big glass of cold milk!!

Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post

"The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

20. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Yup you are correct. That little Druthers still has some good breakfast. Had always wondered what that brown looking gravy was.

I remember growing up in Mt.Washington when Druthers was one of the only fast food restaurants there.
    At one point in time there was several in the state of KY. When Dairy Queen bought out Druthers their menu made a big change. After DQ bought them out a small handful of stores refused to sell their franchise and remained open. Eventually all of them closed but the one in Campbellsville so its the only Druthers left. As a kid in the 70's and 80's I recall they were called Queen Bee before they changed the name to Druthers in the mid 80's .

Go to the Druthers website and read their FAQ page...it has a lot of history on it. The menu today is nothing like the 70's, 80's or 90's. Its Druthers buy name but nothing like an old Queen Bee or Druthers before Dairy Queen bought them out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast