Thread: Zxr 20

Zxr 20

Hi all,

I'm curious your take on the zxr20s. Being someone who likes the rod compartments in the middle of the bow it seems to fit me. Only question is in those two compartments how many rods can you fit in the center. The "mega" rod tubes seem small to me on that boat. The one on the left side seems mega though. Also the compartments don't seem that deep for storage. Anyone have storage issues on this boat. Now most importantly how does it run? Is it a dry ride? Is it stable or does it walk quite a bit? Never ridden in this model or the fxr but am curious how they handle. Looking at a couple different boats in th ranger 520l to the bass cat Caracal. A friend wanted me to check this boat out. Saw it in person today and it looks awesome.

Thanks for the help

2. Member
    If your seriously looking to getting one, go demo it and the FXR. Both are really solid boats. They are more of a performance hull in comparison to the older Skeeters. With that said they both have to be driven unlike to colder skeeters where you could just get in put the throttle down and trim up. The newer hulls can be over trimmed and they will walk if you over trim. Both very good riding, dry boats. Performance is amazing. Go demo, it will reiterate what I am typing and most likely confirm which route you will go.

I have not tried to max out my center rod storage on my ZXR20 as I tend to put what I feel like I will use for that trip in there to keep clutter off of the deck. I keep 6-8 in there normally with room to spare.

I have owned mine about long enough to where I feel like I have the time in it to give a solid review. I plan to do that soon and be more detailed but in a nutshell so far I absolutely love the boat. It's not the Skeeter of old and that is not to imply any of those sucked as I have owned most every Skeeter model since the late 90s. The ride on this one is crazy good but they kept the Skeeter fishability. Fun to drive, great layout, seems to be built well and all in all I am glad I bought mine.
    As was poihted out you will have to dive this boat to max out its speed. Its not the point and shoot of older Skeeters. As for the cosmetic changes I LOVE the seats and the drink holders glassed in just in front of the cooler. Mentioning the cooler I will still say I am not a fan of that style cooler lid. I wish they would change it. Been on my Skeeters for several years now. Just not a fan.
    Last edited by Mark Perry; 11-07-2020 at 10:44 AM.

4. Member
    Unfortunately my days of demoing the boats are gone as I'm in MN and we have two more days of fall before it's winter here. Most dealerships here don't have them to demo I'd bet so working off word of mouth so if 04skeeter could elaborate I'd appreciate it. I know not ideal but it's what I got for now.

5. Member
    I have had a dozen rods in my FXR center compartment and could probably get several more in there. I think those two tubes are maybe even a little smaller than the ZXR tubes. I really like being able to put my rods on the port side, my partners rods in the center, and then have the starboard locker open for rain suits, life jackets, etc. I used to keep the starboard locker open for partner rods, so this has opened up a lot of storage for me.

6. Member
    The zxr tubes in the middle are what they call mini-mega tubes. I've only seen pictures of 6 rods in each one. Not sure why don't they didn't use the actual mega rod tubes in there. I really want to talk myself into this boat. I like almost everything about it. I wish they would have done something in that step area though seems like wasters space

But that's it. Those two things and love the rest. Anyone have more feedback on how it handles? Does it chine walk? Is it an easy driving boat? How's the hole shot?

7. Member
    I'm in WI, 2021 ZXR20. Had '14 ZX20 and '15 ZX250, now this.

As said above, this boat rides and turns better at speed (above 65mph) then previous hulls. Out of the box I was MEH on the hull.....5 or 6 times out, jack plate way up (16-17), I love it.

8. Member
    Can easily fit 10 rods in each rod tube, with rod sox of course.

9. Member
    I purchased my ZXR20 in August where in the summer I fish both day and night tournaments so keep more rods in the boat full time. With rod socks I keep 15 +/- in the partner side rod box (I removed the Plano box holder) and only use the center boxes for a few spinning rods and other storage but I don't carry a lot of baits/gear. My partner does use the center rod storage (without rod socks) when we convert from day to night fishing in night tournaments and there's always spare room. Last week I took the boat to my dealer for the first 20 hour service and removed all the rods. Got the boat back Friday and in response to your question, I put 14 rods (incl. 2 spinning rods) in their rod socks in the two center 'mega' tubes with little difficulty. I did have to arrange some of my other stored items to make room. The accessibility of all the boxes is very good while sitting on the step. I am very pleased with the ride and performance of the boat. Sub-70mph the boat is completely stable with no walking and over 70 it walks a bit. I'm not a speed freak but I've approached 76 with the factory/dealer settings and don't want to go any faster. This being my first Skeeter I can't compare to previous models. My partner owns a Proxp20 and I find the ride very comparable... his boat is a bit faster at WOT and I'd say negligibly more stable at the same speeds. My boat vs. his boat and SHO vs ProXS (4 stroke) the hole shots are seemingly equal.

10. Member
    I have an unrelated question on the same boat. Can one of the center storage compartments be confiqured for 3700 plano tackle boxes if one chose to do so? Just curious about another flexible option. Might consider rods in the port locker and in one of the middle compartments. Seems it would allow better access to tackle with rods on the deck.

Quote Originally Posted by avid fisherman View Post
    I have an unrelated question on the same boat. Can one of the center storage compartments be confiqured for 3700 plano tackle boxes if one chose to do so? Just curious about another flexible option. Might consider rods in the port locker and in one of the middle compartments. Seems it would allow better access to tackle with rods on the deck.

3700s fit perfectly in center compartment.

12. Member
    I originally didn't care for the center rod box layout and preferred the layout of the FXR. I purchased a tackle storage made for the center and I really like it, fits 12 boxes plus additional tackle when needed.. I can now utilize the port side for rods as well... Things that stuck out for me on the ZXR is I like the metal fenders on the trailer and the rocker panel switches more than the touch button ones. The access to the rear batter compartment is much more improved in the zxr versus previous years. Its a much wider boat that is significantly smoother in rough water that years past. It takes a little more driving to get those last few miles an hour out of it but the speed is there. I believe its the best value for a boat out there right now.
    skeeter tackle.JPG

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidnTex View Post
    I originally didn't care for the center rod box layout and preferred the layout of the FXR. I purchased a tackle storage made for the center and I really like it, fits 12 boxes plus additional tackle when needed.. I can now utilize the port side for rods as well... Things that stuck out for me on the ZXR is I like the metal fenders on the trailer and the rocker panel switches more than the touch button ones. The access to the rear batter compartment is much more improved in the zxr versus previous years. Its a much wider boat that is significantly smoother in rough water that years past. It takes a little more driving to get those last few miles an hour out of it but the speed is there. I believe its the best value for a boat out there right now.
    skeeter tackle.JPG
    Ok, where did you get this... I want one
    2021 Skeeter ZXR21 Yamaha SHO 250
    1993 Ranger 372 Mercury 150 XR6

14. Member
    www.ampdmarine.com

You can buy just the center or the center and either or both sides. Seems pretty handy so far. Still can utilize the mini tubes and rod storage...

15. Member
    www.ampdmarine.com

You can buy just the center or the center and either or both sides. Seems pretty handy so far. Still can utilize the mini tubes and rod storage...
    Do you have photos you can share with “stuff” inside the organizers?

16. Member
    I am only utilizing the middle so far. Haven't figured out exactly what I want to do with the sides. The website has a picture of some items in the sides.

skeeter tackle.JPG
    That is slick!

A must have for the ZXR
    "The handicapped angler"

18. Wren
    Ampdmarine had something I have been searching forever a tray for the battery compartment for my 2018 ZX225. Order was placed today.

19. Member
    Do you have any photos of that tackle system filled up with your gear?