Prop Spins Freely

I have a 2020 Mercury 200 ProXS that came new with my new Ranger boat...After putting the boat on the trailer and under tow I always put the throttle in gear so my prop won’t spin while I’m towing...Today I noticed that the prop spins freely when motor is off and throttle shifted in gear...Is this normal?

2. Member
    Yes. You cannot put motor in forward gear unless it is running. You can put it in reverse and neutral with the motor not running but the key has to on, your motor is a digital shift. No mechanical shifting by cable and shift rod.

3. Member
    Ok thanks for the information

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    This is due to the fact that your engine is an Electronic Throttle and Shift system (it will "park" in neutral).

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

not sure why you would want it to NOT spin freely while going down the highway?
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    There's been some debate about that over the years, some of which originated back in the days when many gearcases had BUSHINGS instead of BEARINGS.

The primary concern is that the prop could spin freely, generating heat while gears and driveshaft were NOT turning, thus preventing the gear lube from moving around in the gearcase, and potentially overheating or damaging bearings, propshaft, etc.

I have personally NEVER seen a case that I could attribute to this "concern". Saw a few that someone "tried" to use this scenario to explain, but was able to de-bunk by using simple failure analysis methods.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    I always put my mechanical shift 150 4S in Forward when towing. My thought is it just saves revs on the bearings and thus limits wear, reality is it is probably miniscule revs vs running it as intended in the water.

But, like Don Says, it likely makes absolutely no difference, else would be called out in the owners manual...I don't' see what it hurts, although I suppose possibly opens me up to some sort of drive train damage if I hit something while towing that might be no damage otherwise...
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

I believe most every Merc 2 stroke I ever owned said to place in gear while towing

I have followed many, many bassboats over the years and not one propeller was spinning. I know a lot of the guys I have followed and not one puts them in gear. There just isn't enough streamlined airflow that close to the boat to cause the prop to spin. Now, pontoons will spin like crazy as the logs create a wind tunnel that is focused perfectly for the prop.

If it is a bassboat, just leave it in neutral.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Very rare but it does happen. I know some older guys who ere religious about pulling in gear and would argue about it till the day they die.
    Fishing buddy of mine has a skeeter with Yamaha that does. I had a 2003TE Allison that would with a large eared over the hub prop.
    For the record when I membered I would put that old Allison in gear but it's the only one I ever did. Even though the manual said to do so.

My point is if you have a 2 stroke and you want to follow the manual ( do it)
    If you have a 4 stroke with a digital shifter--it's a moot point.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I have followed many, many bassboats over the years and not one propeller was spinning. I know a lot of the guys I have followed and not one puts them in gear. There just isn't enough streamlined airflow that close to the boat to cause the prop to spin. Now, pontoons will spin like crazy as the logs create a wind tunnel that is focused perfectly for the prop.

If it is a bassboat, just leave it in neutral.
    Same here. Only props I've ever seen spinning on the road were pontoons and a few tunnel hulls

12. Member
    If it makes you sleep better at night you could always put a bungee cord around it.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Or... better yet, a prop cover (kill two or three birds with one stone).

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Or... better yet, a prop cover (kill two or three birds with one stone).
    As much as some props cost---might take them off

15. Member
    So if a guy has the key on and puts it in reverse and then shuts the key off will the motor stay in gear? I’ve always just pulled my boat in neutral, I have no idea if the prop spins. But better safe than sorry I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    So if a guy has the key on and puts it in reverse and then shuts the key off will the motor stay in gear? I’ve always just pulled my boat in neutral, I have no idea if the prop spins. But better safe than sorry I guess.
    Good question sure be good to know when dropping LU for service...... Don ?
    Mines 400 miles away or I'd go check..

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    This is not something I would recommend doing as the PCM is going to "park" actuators at MPR shutdown or wakeup. Having the control in a position OTHER than neutral at key-up can result in FAULTS.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    This is not something I would recommend doing as the PCM is going to "park" actuators at MPR shutdown or wakeup. Having the control in a position OTHER than neutral at key-up can result in FAULTS.
    Thanks Don, I never have did this, I won’t start now based on your advice.