Z7 hooked hull setup?

Has anyone had any success getting more performance out of a hooked nitro? I have a150 pro xs, 23 tempest plus, 5' offset jackplate and am 3" prop to pad. 5200 rpms and 50 mph is the best I can get with a regular load( 2 adults, full gear, full livewell and 1/2 tank of fuel. I can get 5400 and 54mph alone with no water in the live well. I need more lift. Thanks for all replies.

I'd put a 22p bravo xs prop on it, put it 4" ptp and over trim the hell out of it.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    Why not fix the hook? Just asking..

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat29 View Post
    Why not fix the hook? Just asking..
    Only real way to fix it is a new hull, I suppose there are a few shops that can add material and a new finish underneath if you know of one say it?

5. Member
    The gator hull is an option but an expensive one.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by matfish View Post
    Has anyone had any success getting more performance out of a hooked nitro? I have a150 pro xs, 23 tempest plus, 5' offset jackplate and am 3" prop to pad. 5200 rpms and 50 mph is the best I can get with a regular load( 2 adults, full gear, full livewell and 1/2 tank of fuel. I can get 5400 and 54mph alone with no water in the live well. I need more lift. Thanks for all replies.
    After checking my Z7 hull, I think it has a hook in it. What I recently did was add a 6" Bob's hydraulic plate, replaced 23 Tempest Plus with a 4 bladed 23 Power Tech (like a Trophy Prop), 3.5" PTP for normal operation (marked jack plate with permanent marker). I am now getting more bow lift and also stern lift. Running 57-58 mph at 5500-5600 rpm. Overall performance is better than before. The 4 blade prop made a big difference.

7. Member
    I'd love to get those numbers. What were your numbers before changing props?

8. Member
    Before jack plate and prop change, I couldn't keep bow up unless running almost full power. Even then, not much lift and only saw 5400 rpm and 54-55 mph

9. Member
    ttt

10. Member
    I have a '13 Z-7 that had a hooked hull. Could only get 5200 rpms. Added a jackplate...still no lift and still got 5200 rpms. I wouldnt spend any money trying to get performance out of the boat. Mine was sent to the factory and they replaced the hull at no charge to me at all, and it was a pretty painless process other than waiting the six weeks to get my boat back. A hooked hull is nothing to play around with. Other than losing performance, it is putting extra strain on your motor by trying to get the boat on pad, which wont happen, and it is also a huge safety issue. One day I was running in a straight line as fast as the boat would go, maybe 48-49 mph when the boat just shot to the right almost throwing me out. I loaded up and drove straight to BPS and dropped the boat off. Dont play around with this.

11. Member
    I'm stuck with it. I'm third owner and Nitro won't stand behind their product. I've contacted them and they didn't seem to care that a defect in their product was a safety issue.

12. Member
    I had a '13 Z7 that the hull hooked. Tried different things but no luck. Nitro replaced the boat and trailer with a 2018 Z18. A friend of mine bought the old Z7 from the local dealer for 500 dollars. He had someone to fill the hook, I don't know what procedure they used. This was last summer and I talked to his brother around thanksgiving. He bought a trade in 150 four stroke and put on it. Brother said the boat is doing great. So yes, I guess they can be repaired, just wasn't my idea of resolving the issue.
    If the thunder don't getcha, the lightning will.

13. Member
    Were you the original owner ? How hard was it to get Nitro to replace the z7 with a Z18? Have the same hull issues and trying to figure out my best option.

How can a person tell if they have a hooked hull?

Thanks
    Always "Huntin" the IA Bass!

Boat: Nitro Z7
    Primary Propulsion Unit: 200 Optimax ProXS
    Vertical Depth Propulsion Adjustment: 8" Bobs Action Jack
    Underwater Surveillance: Solix10 G2 Console & Solix10 G1 Bow
    Anchoring: Powerpole, Ultrex Spot Lock
    Dynamic Positioning System: Ultrex i-pilot Link

Quote Originally Posted by einsteins View Post
    How can a person tell if they have a hooked hull?

Thanks
    Take a straight edge like a 8' 2x4 that is straight, lay it under the hull parallel to the bunk boards. If the hull pulls away from this board to show an air gap.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Take a straight edge like a 8' 2x4 that is straight, lay it under the hull parallel to the bunk boards. If the hull pulls away from this board to show an air gap.
    Thank you...
    Always "Huntin" the IA Bass!

Boat: Nitro Z7
    Primary Propulsion Unit: 200 Optimax ProXS
    Vertical Depth Propulsion Adjustment: 8" Bobs Action Jack
    Underwater Surveillance: Solix10 G2 Console & Solix10 G1 Bow
    Anchoring: Powerpole, Ultrex Spot Lock
    Dynamic Positioning System: Ultrex i-pilot Link