Starting a merc 150 efi 2 stroke after sitting for 4 years...

Hello, sorry i dont know the serial number. But will get it soon. I want to take every precaution before turning the key and starting this… It’s been sitting for a long time. The previous owner said that the starter wasn’t operating correctly and that the Bendix was protruding to far above the fly wheel. After replacing the starter. I I’m wondering what precautions I need to take to make sure that the engine is getting proper fuel and oil. It has an external tank in the boat. The previous owner took really good care of this engine and he was the original owner. He was really afraid of hurricane Irma… So he took all of the hatches off of the boat… And drained the main fuel tank. (Whew!) here are the things that i am considering before startup. Also what type of oil is perfect for the EFI model?
    1. replace lower unit lube
    2. replace Impeller
    3. Replace lower unit screw washers
    4. Replace atf in tilt trim unit
    5. spray lube Throttle linkages.
    6. drain vst (probably dry already)
    7. light spray of fogging oil in cyl turn over by hand and spray a little bit more?
    8. Good clean ethanol free fuel on an external tank for starting purposes.
    9. drain all old 2stroke oil out of both holding areas?
    what else? Remember it’s been sitting since Irma… Is there anything else that you can think of?

Don’t touch trim unit if it’s working fine. Mix your external tank 50:1 just for good measure. If you have a small light, look in cylinders just for a quick visual. Good old merc/quicksilver premium plus is a fine oil, usually cheapest at academy sports if you have one nearby. Everything else sounds like you’re on the right track. Not sure I’d bother draining old oil if it hasn’t been contaminated, that system is pretty airtight. If it has gray fuel hose, pull it off and make sure the liner isn’t deteriorating. I always run fuel injection hose from the parts store just for that reason. Good luck!
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Personally- I would drain the 2-stroke from BOTH tanks, replace the CLEAR lines inside the cowling, and bleed the oil injection system as the Service Manual recommends (in addition to all above items). Flush out the black line as well... you're trying to prevent any congealed oil from making it's way into the oil pump (one of the more common "killers").

It would be wise to consider having the injectors cleaned and serviced as well. 4 years is a LONG time, for any fuel system, regardless of what stabilizer might have been used it's likely to have restrictions/problems in the injectors.

I do agree on the trim system: Don't open it unless there is a reason to do so.

If you would, please take a few moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Serial# ot-065888 Thank you so much for the responses please keep them coming