Thread: Buying Gold ?

Question Buying Gold ?

Looking to purchase some physical gold. Recommendations ? Gold US coin, Gold bars, Foreign Coins. I can do it through a local dealer, or should I go through a national seller. Looking to occasionally purchase some.
    dvl2700

2. idbefishing
    Have you considered the gold etf (GLD)? Don’t have to worry about keeping the gold somewhere and much easier to buy/sell

3. Member
    U.S. Gold coins is the way to go. Doesn't matter what year it was minted. Dealers sometimes get premiums for different years. You don't care; whatever is the cheapest. Your goal is to buy as close to the 'spot' price as possible. Don't worry about numismatic (collectible value) or how rare it is. Buy locally and establish a relationship. That way, when you are ready to sell, you can have a convenient method and don't have to worry about packaging, insuring, etc. My guy sells to me at $50 over whatever 'spot' is (he has to have a little cushion if you try to come back and sell next week after gold has gone up and he also is trying to make a living and has expenses). You don't want bars. Reason is that who is to say if your bar is pure gold and how much gold is actually in the bar. You avoid this problem with U.S. coins.

4. Member
    Feel safer diversifying with physical gold. Have plenty of money tied up in various ETF's. Not sure I want Bitcoin, but may change my mind. Figured I would do the physical gold and silver first.
    dvl2700

5. Member
    Gold looking pretty meh today

6. Member
    I would buy some as a hedge but when I constantly misplace my car keys and remote I don't feel comfortable in my ability to hold it physically. I do own some GLD in my retirement account.