Starboard livewell leaking somewhere

As I was in the process of winterizing my 2002 201 DC, I wanted to clean out my livewells by using the process of 1 gal of vinegar/2 gals of water and run on recirculate for about 30 min to clean out all the crud. Few minutes into the operation, I noticed water coming out of my drain plug, and 15 min later, I notice the starboard livewell much lower than port side.
    As anyone had to replace the pumps and hoses to the livewells??
    How much of a PITA is it to get to them??
    Thank you in advance to everyone for your help.

2. Member
    They aren't the easiest pumps to get to, but I've done it without too much trouble.I've replaced one pump and two valves. I have the opposite issue of you, my live wells won't fill completely. Two new valves, and still won't get near the overflow.
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

3. Member
    My guess would be the livewell shut off valves needs replaced or rebuilt, getting the hoses off can be a pain, read somewhere maybe try heating them up to make them more flexible, might be worth a try

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno 615 View Post
    They aren't the easiest pumps to get to, but I've done it without too much trouble.I've replaced one pump and two valves. I have the opposite issue of you, my live wells won't fill completely. Two new valves, and still won't get near the overflow.
    Were you getting water in your bilge? and are you still getting water in your bilge? which is what I am getting.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenman421 View Post
    My guess would be the livewell shut off valves needs replaced or rebuilt, getting the hoses off can be a pain, read somewhere maybe try heating them up to make them more flexible, might be worth a try
    Are you saying the valves under the battery charger? Thanks

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Were you getting water in your bilge? and are you still getting water in your bilge? which is what I am getting.
    I did have water in my bilge area one time. The o-ring was bad on one of my cartridges.
    But yes, one of my valves still leaked after replacing both of them. My valve leak is out the screen by the drain plug. So yea, it’s leaking past the valve still. Just too lazy to remove it again haha.
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

7. Member
    I did have water in my bilge area one time. The o-ring was bad on one of my cartridges.
    But yes, one of my valves still leaked after replacing both of them. My valve leak is out the screen by the drain plug. So yea, it’s leaking past the valve still. Just too lazy to remove it again haha.
    Ryno,
    mine is leaking into the bilge, but I have not removed the battery charger to see what is going on, since the boat is winterized for the year.
    When you say cartridge, are you referring to the 3 way valve ( Auto, Empty, Recirculate)?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Ryno,
    mine is leaking into the bilge, but I have not removed the battery charger to see what is going on, since the boat is winterized for the year.
    When you say cartridge, are you referring to the 3 way valve ( Auto, Empty, Recirculate)?
    When I say cartridge, I'm referring to the live well pumps. Im not sure which pumps you have, but mine are mayfair pumps. It is a black pump, that locks into position, into the cartridge. There is a large o-ring that seals the pump into the cartridge. Mine was seeping past the o-ring, and into the bilge. This is the style of my aerator pumps.28552__40692.1604345381.jpg
    Last edited by Ryno 615; 11-06-2020 at 08:10 PM.
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

9. Member
    When I say cartridge, I'm referring to the live well pumps. Im not sure which pumps you have, but mine are mayfair pumps. It is a black pump, that locks into position, into the cartridge. There is a large o-ring that seals the pump into the cartridge. Mine was seeping past the o-ring, and into the bilge. This is the style of my aerator pumps.28552__40692.1604345381.jpg
    Ryno,
    I can clearly see the ring you are talking about, and thank you for the picture. I do not know what I have since I have yet to get the charger out to see.
    Mind you, it is not a massive leak, but I don't like any water in my bilge.
    BTW, even though I have my valves set to empty most of the time, I get some water in my livewells that goes out as soon as I am on plane for a minute or 2.

10. Member
    Are you replacing the o ring?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stropp View Post
    Are you replacing the o ring?

Once I find out what is wrong, I will be replacing the entire unit. It is a 2002 set up, so no reason to rebuild something that old tha can potentially go wrong again.

12. Member
    Makes sense. Let me know where you buy. I have water coming in. No idea from what though

13. Member
    Makes sense. Let me know where you buy. I have water coming in. No idea from what though
    Stropp,
    since you don't have snow flying in your neighborhood, take the bat charger out, and put her in the water. You should be able to get a better idea by looking at pumps and hoses.
    Snowing here, so I will be doing that once we open the cottage next year, and Lord willing, we won't be dealing with the chinese virus.

14. Member
    Thank you!!! On it tomorrow. 77 for the high. CRAZY warm still.

15. Member
    Thank you!!! On it tomorrow. 77 for the high. CRAZY warm still.
    yea that's what I heard. We have a friend in Shreveport, and they are still enjoying their boat and hot air balloon.