Thread: Ultrex question

Ultrex question

First let me say mine is out of warranty. Yesterday it got stiff only to the left. And when I tried to use spot lock it would chip and then disengage. I also noticed that the power switch will no longer turn the unit off. Then I moved to a different area to fish and deployed it. Out of no where all is working fine. The power switch stopped working about a month ago and I replaced it then. So it’s new. But I noticed that the blue light was on when I got home. I unplugged it and then plugged it back in and the light is off. Broadfish, is there something I need to buy and replace before I’m stranded? I would like to get on top of this before she lets me down. Thank you for any help in advance

2. Member
    I had sort of the same issue with mine. I have one of the first units sold. Took it to an ASC and they diagnosed and fixed it. Was a bad GPS module and bad control board in foot pedal. Now have basically a new motor.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsturggie View Post
    First let me say mine is out of warranty. Yesterday it got stiff only to the left. And when I tried to use spot lock it would chip and then disengage. I also noticed that the power switch will no longer turn the unit off. Then I moved to a different area to fish and deployed it. Out of no where all is working fine. The power switch stopped working about a month ago and I replaced it then. So it’s new. But I noticed that the blue light was on when I got home. I unplugged it and then plugged it back in and the light is off. Broadfish, is there something I need to buy and replace before I’m stranded? I would like to get on top of this before she lets me down. Thank you for any help in advance
    Since it is first units that came out I would bring to ASC. I would say possible Sensor board in foot pedal. As far as the power switch. I would get some dielectric grease and pull the wires off of the on/off switch, put grease on connectors(small amount) then connect the wires back to the switch.

4. Member
    Cables in a bind or frayed and ready to break at the steering head

5. Member
    Just had this happen today and had to cut it short. Deployed the tm first thing and wouldn’t steer left OR right, locked solid in the middle. Lights on but flashing and chirping. Control/sensor board??

6. Member
    I went a bought a higher quality power switch than the one I used to replace the original that had failed before and my issue has been resolved. Thank you to those who replied and tried to help. P.s. the switch I bought was easily found at Napa auto parts

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike A View Post
    Just had this happen today and had to cut it short. Deployed the tm first thing and wouldn’t steer left OR right, locked solid in the middle. Lights on but flashing and chirping. Control/sensor board??
    This issue may be related to power. Bad connection, bad battery. If you are not sure then sart with loose or corroded connections( battery, breaker,plug if you have one). If the problem persist then it may be a battery problem. Charge batteries and get them load tested.
    If you still have this problem after all above is completed then You may have smoked the main control board. When ever charging in the future please make sure you remove power from the troll motor by turning the troll motor battery breaker off or unplugging the troll motor from the power. Turning power switch off does not remove power from the troll motor.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    This issue may be related to power. Bad connection, bad battery. If you are not sure then sart with loose or corroded connections( battery, breaker,plug if you have one). If the problem persist then it may be a battery problem. Charge batteries and get them load tested.
    If you still have this problem after all above is completed then You may have smoked the main control board. When ever charging in the future please make sure you remove power from the troll motor by turning the troll motor battery breaker off or unplugging the troll motor from the power. Turning power switch off does not remove power from the troll motor.
    Breaker was off during last charge cycle (always is). Brought it home and checked batts. 13.9-14.1 volts. Completely unhooked tm from power though, then hooked it back up. Kicked it over and got same results......frozen foot pedal, no prop spin, and flashy flashy. Pulled it off and will have it at ASC tomorrow.