G2 Power Steering question.

What is the best dps setting for navigating 2ft chop or larger?
    Low? Med? High?
    CJ
    200 Evinrude G2 Ho On R93vs Ranger
    2023 Ranger 520R 250 Merc Proxs

2. Member
    A few points of discussion first. There is no pat answer to this question.
    Remember that DPS is the same effort from idle up to somewhere south of 4000 rpm. So you will not feel a difference at rpm below that.
    Remember that DPS and any steering system, power assisted or non-assisted, is responsive based on the type of helm and its output. Common Helm output is 1.4, 1.7, 2.0, 2.4 cc. The lower the output, the slower the steering response. Requires more turns lock to lock and less muscle to move. The higher the output, the faster the steering response. Requires fewer turns lock to lock and more muscle to move.
    And of course hull shape and design have effect on steering response
    Since you list a Ranger bass boat the helm is either 2.0 or 2.4.
    Then the mph and rpm you are running at in the 2 ft chop may or may not be relevant and this is also contingent on what trim position you set the engine to.
    Only you can make the choice. Start with low assist. The output of the helm is pretty responsive and remains constant, so reduced power assist may help you from over correcting.

3. Member
    Well said and a bit like who is best-blondes or brunettes. Going quick any boat I have ever driven I prefer MIN setting and brunettes.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huey View Post
    Well said and a bit like who is best-blondes or brunettes. Going quick any boat I have ever driven I prefer MIN setting and brunettes.
    I have been using med setting and at high speeds it has gotten pretty loose and chine walked over 65 quite a bit in light 1to 2 foot chop.
    Still trying to learn what she likes .
    I am going to try the min setting this weakennd .
    CJ

5. Member
    Considering a properly functioning steering system ( properly bled and operational) , and I don’t mean to sound like a jackass, chine walk is related to the driver-including trim setting, the hull, and engine rigging. Let’s see what happens after your next drive.
    Tell us more about the boat setup, power poles, batteries, engine setup, jack plate, engine height - all those things critical to your rig and its performance.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bighare View Post
    A few points of discussion first. There is no pat answer to this question.
    Remember that DPS is the same effort from idle up to somewhere south of 4000 rpm. So you will not feel a difference at rpm below that.
    Remember that DPS and any steering system, power assisted or non-assisted, is responsive based on the type of helm and its output. Common Helm output is 1.4, 1.7, 2.0, 2.4 cc. The lower the output, the slower the steering response. Requires more turns lock to lock and less muscle to move. The higher the output, the faster the steering response. Requires fewer turns lock to lock and more muscle to move.
    And of course hull shape and design have effect on steering response
    Since you list a Ranger bass boat the helm is either 2.0 or 2.4.
    Then the mph and rpm you are running at in the 2 ft chop may or may not be relevant and this is also contingent on what trim position you set the engine to.
    Only you can make the choice. Start with low assist. The output of the helm is pretty responsive and remains constant, so reduced power assist may help you from over correcting.
    Bighare ,
    My boat Ranger R93 is at the dealer they think the shuttering issue may be from an incompatibility with the sea star helm that is currently on the boat .
    What are your thoughts ?
    They are waiting to confirm with BRP if the helm is incompatible.
    CJ

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by veryspeedy View Post
    Bighare ,
    My boat Ranger R93 is at the dealer they think the shuttering issue may be from an incompatibility with the sea star helm that is currently on the boat .
    What are your thoughts ?
    They are waiting to confirm with BRP if the helm is incompatible.
    yes to potential compatibility issue with the seastar helm but this depends on the engine model number. DPS 1 vs DPS 2. Early model DPS for the first few years of manufacture were not compatible with the seastar PRO Helm, 2.4 disp. This was changed over the last 3 years I believe. The current Evinrude G2 installation instructions are clear on the compatibility / incompatibility of different helm types and engine model number. There is a reference chart. Your dealer has easy access to this document through his dealer portal website.
    edit. I found this for reference page 23 from the instructions.Be sure to reference the last 3 letters of your engine model number.
    DPS Helm Compatibility
    Pro Series Helms
    “Pro Series” helms are designed for use on high-performance boats capable of speeds in excess of 65mph (105 kph) with a single, non-power assisted outboard up to 300 HP.
    IMPORTANT: NEVER use Ultraflex SVS or SeaStar Pro Series helms in multiple outboard in- stallations.
    Other Helms
    Helms provided by other manufacturers (for example Mercury Marine Verado) are NOT com- patible with the hydraulic steering system of Evin- rude E-TEC G2 outboards.
    Dynamic Power Steering System
    Improvements
    Improvements have been made to the DPS sys- tem to support the Evinrude i-Dock steering sys- tem, Pro Series helms and three or four outboard installations.
    Improvements (DPS-2) are effective beginning with:
    • 74° V6 – AFA models
    • 66° V6 – AAA models
    IMPORTANT: Improvements also effect helm and outboard selection. Carefully review the fol- lowing information:
    Boat Rigging
    Steering Systems
    DPS System Compatibility
    AB 200 H.O. – 300 HP, 74° V6 ONLY
    The DPS-1 system used on ABA model outboards is NOT compatible with the DPS-2 system used on 74° V6, AFA and newer model outboards.
    Do NOT install ABA and AFA model DPS-equipped outboards on the same transom.
    NOTICE
    Use ONLY the helms listed in the Recom- mended Helm Charts on p. 25, when installing Evinrude E-TEC G2 outboards.
    NOTICE
    Do NOT use Pro Series helms with a DPS-equipped ABA model Evinrude E-TEC G2 outboard.
    Use of these helms with DPS-equipped ABA model will result in damage to the DPS power steering pump.
    Pro-Series helms MAY be used in the following single engine, IHS Evinrude E-TEC 74° V6 ABA outboard models:
    • E200LHOABA
    • E225LHOABA • E250LHOABA
    AA & Newer 66° V6 and AF & Newer 74° V6
    Ultraflex SVS or SeaStar Pro Series helms may be used in single engine installations of the above model Evinrude E-TEC G2 outboards.
    IMPORTANT: Multiple outboard installations REQUIRE:
    • correct outboard alignment
    • steering position sensor calibration.
    Refer to Multiple Outboard Installations on p. 89.
    "......................................
    Last edited by bighare; 11-17-2020 at 12:38 PM.

8. Member
    Thank You
    CJ

9. Member
    I set mine on low when I got it and never changed it - this is the one thing I miss from my G2 VS the Pro XS4S.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

10. Member
    You can grab the full installation guidelines here
    http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...nds=ej&type=og

11. Member
    Thank Again Big Hare.
    Joe bone you took the plunge on the new Rigg?
    CJ

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by veryspeedy View Post
    Thank Again Big Hare.
    Joe bone you took the plunge on the new Rigg?
    My boat was wrecked along with my truck in a head on collision in September. the boat ended up on top of the truck and was totaled. I looked for used boats, but in the end I decided to order a new Z519 this winter - a dealer in the twin cities had one on the showroom floor and I picked it up. it won't make a lot of people happy, but the new Pro XS 4S isn't anything near what the G2 was. Just my opinion but that's the way I feel. We will see with time, but I miss the power steering and the settings you had with the color screen gauge. The 4S is missing the mid range torque of the G2. I will add a jackplate this winter and a few other things. The boat itself is very nice. I was in the R93 for 16 years so it was very comfortable for me.

If Evinrude didn't quit, the new boat would have had a G2 on it.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

13. Member
    Oh man , sorry to here that hopefully there wer no injury.
    good luck with the new boat i bet she is sweet that front deck is way wider the the R93 that is my only issue with my boat .
    CJ