XR6 150 overheat alarm

Recently my XR6 150 serial number 1B191100 has developed a problem. The overheat alarm comes on when idling and it also sounds louder then before. I also noticed sometimes when I shut it off I can still hear what sounds like something still turning? I hear a click, click, click, click, click, click sound with each click getting quieter and quieter until it stops. I hear this sound after I turn the key to shut the motor off so the motor isn't running when I hear it and it doesn't do it every time just sometimes. Last year I had it in the shop with JOE54 and he had it running GREAT. He replaced the water pump and fixed other problems but I do remember him telling me the exhaust tuner was loose at the time but he was able to get a long extension and tighten it up. I'm not sure what's going on with it but I plan to start by replacing the water pump again as well as the thermostats so I need the part numbers so I know exactly what to order. I forgot to mention I do have a water pressure as well as a temp gauge and sometimes it seems the alarm will go off before my gauge even says it hot and while I have pressure. I noticed a couple times when idling when I looked down and had zero water pressure but I goosed the throttle and it came back up... Thanks in advance for any info. I did pm JOE54 but I think he takes a break this time of year for deer hunting so waiting to hear back from him. I may have to drive it back to him to fix again but if it's something I could do myself I'd rather do that. That Man is the shiznit when it comes to these motors. He knows these things inside and out like the back of his hand!

2. Member
    Could be the tuner is loose again and the sound is the tuner vibrating, if your water pressure is at zero when at idle, I would go ahead and change the pump or impeller.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ANYTIME you are having cooling system, water pressure or overheating problems, ALWAYS, ALWAYS start At the Source: The Water Pump.

Get a Part# 96148A8 water pump kit, and install it. Be sure ALL THREE (3) Gaskets are replaced (you very likely have one or more torn gaskets).

Check the tuner while the gearcase is off: If it is loose, STOP THERE and make arrangements to have it corrected.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    ANYTIME you are having cooling system, water pressure or overheating problems, ALWAYS, ALWAYS start At the Source: The Water Pump.

Get a Part# 96148A8 water pump kit, and install it. Be sure ALL THREE (3) Gaskets are replaced (you very likely have one or more torn gaskets).

Check the tuner while the gearcase is off: If it is loose, STOP THERE and make arrangements to have it corrected.

Will it be obvious if the tuner is loose? Also could you get me the part number for the thermostats also. I'm going to change them also while I'm at it. Have no clue when they were last changed....

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You can lookup (and even order) parts on our website at: www.mercurypartsonline.net

OR you can email the Parts Department at: parts@europeanmarine.org

2@ 62386001 Seal/Gasket
    2@ 75692 Thermostat

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thanks Don! Your help is always appreciated sir!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrh_67 View Post
    Will it be obvious if the tuner is loose? Also could you get me the part number for the thermostats also. I'm going to change them also while I'm at it. Have no clue when they were last changed....
    with the gear case off look up the can with a light and see if any bolts look loose. Use some long extensions to check them. Can also use a brooom handle and bump it too see if it moves.

install a good water temp gauge also if you don’t have one.

8. Member
    Sorry for my ignorance but I've never installed a water pump before. Is there a gasket or something between the lower unit itself and the rest of the engine? After I replace the water pump and go to reinstall the lower unit do I need anything between the mating surfaces or are they just left dry? I'm not worried about installing the water pump itself. I'm pretty handy when it comes to motors and have rebuilt the carbs and pulse pump on this motor already but just wasn't sure about a gasket or sealer of some kind here...lol

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The following link (from the FAQ Section) should help:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1086570

10. Member
    I followed those directions and had no issues replacing mine.

11. Member
    I think I may have found the problem. I removed the thermostats to replace them and decided to test the old ones and found one of them is stuck closed. Do you think this would cause the idle overheat problem?

12. Member
    Replaced the thermostats and so far so good on the muffs but won't get a chance to lake test it today. It's peeing fine and the water pressure gauge shows good so I'm hoping this solves the problem and I'll install the new water pump next spring...

13. Member
    A stuck closed thermostat will definitely cause an idle overheat situation. Most likely you fixed it
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    A stuck closed thermostat will definitely cause an idle overheat situation. Most likely you fixed it
    Specifically at idle.

15. Member
    Well had the boat out yesterday and so far so good! Fished all day including lots of idling up in the creeks and never overheated once so hopefully my problem was the stuck thermostat. I'd like to take a minute to thank everyone for helping me out especially Don. This board has been a huge help for me numerous times and the info you share with us is invaluable sir.... Thank you, Thankyou, Thank you! Don't know what I'd do without you and Joe54!