Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone use a Truck Camper and tow a bass boat

i want to do some traveling, both seeing different parts of our country with my wife and fishing lakes I have only heard about or seen on TV.
    My short list is the Host Mammoth and the Lance 1172. These are big and as roomy as you can get in a truck camper. I was wondering what it is really like for a long trip, say 6-8 weeks in a TC.

2. Member
    I do, and there's several on here with rigs similar to what you're looking at with regards to size. I have the Northstar Laredo SC and love it, and its no where near the size you're looking at. The wife and I had planned on spending a couple months travelling to various national parks (without the boat) across the US till covid hit. Still plan to travel once things settle down. I picked the Northstar brand for several reasons, but one of them was the cassette toilet. I can dump it anywhere and don't need a dump station. I think you'll be happy with either of your choices, just make sure you have enough truck to handle the camper and boat. Good luck!!

3. Member
    Thanks Adam B!
    Yeah the part i did not include was my "newish" F-250 Diesel will get sold and replaced with an F-450 Dually

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kromer View Post
    i want to do some traveling, b20190403_203152.jpg20190403_203152.jpgoth seeing different parts of our country with my wife and fishing lakes I have only heard about or seen on TV.
    My short list is the Host Mammoth and the Lance 1172. These are big and as roomy as you can get in a truck camper. I was wondering what it is really like for a long trip, say 6-8 weeks in a TC.
    I haven't spent more than 4 days at a time but it works��

5. Banned
    can most of these be used without the truck ? how much trouble is it to set up camp and pull the truck out from under them ?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadfred View Post
    can most of these be used without the truck ? how much trouble is it to set up camp and pull the truck out from under them ?
    Mine can be used off the truck and believe you will find *most* all others can as well. No trouble at all to off load and load "with practice". There's a ton of videos on youtube that deal with truck campers along with a wealth of information on truck camper forums that you may find useful.

We camp 4-5 months a year in a TC we have a F-450 , Host Everest Triple Slide and a 21 Foot Champion

The good , we sleep in our own bed , can travel drop camper and have a vehicle to shop, visit sites, drop boat at ramp without bringing our "home",
    be closed to family that live far away

The bad , The camper starts to get small after a few months of living in it , you will grocery shop more frequently ( fridge is limited size ) Can get very hot in the Camper in summertime even with air conditioning , mileage is around 10 mpg, travelling with this set up can be an issue on some roads and weather conditions ( we 53.6 feet long completely loaded )

Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining, this set up works for us , the positive out weighs the negative , because it fits our life style . We are retired and have been doing this 7 years

You picked 2 of the best large TC campers , I would suggest also check out Eagle Caps line
    Good luck in your decision , feel free to PM me anytime if you have any further questions

July 4th 2015 Summer 066.JPG
    Last edited by BILL LO; 11-07-2020 at 02:52 PM.

2009 ELITE 210

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BILL LO View Post
    We camp 4-5 months a year in a TC we have a F-450 , Host Everest Triple Slide and a 21 Foot Champion

The good , we sleep in our own bed , can travel drop camper and have a vehicle to shop, visit sites, drop boat at ramp without bringing our "home",
    be closed to family that live far away

The bad , The camper starts to get small after a few months of living in it , you will grocery shop more frequently ( fridge is limited size ) Can get very hot in the Camper in summertime even with air conditioning , mileage is around 10 mpg, travelling with this set up can be an issue on some roads and weather conditions ( we 53.6 feet long completely loaded )

Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining, this set up works for us , the positive out weighs the negative , because it fits our life style . We are retired and have been doing this 7 years

You picked 2 of the best large TC campers , I would suggest also check out Eagle Caps line
    Good luck in your decision , feel free to PM me anytime if you have any further questions

July 4th 2015 Summer 066.JPG
    I expect we will be on the road 8-10 weeks at a time, maybe less but as you mentioned the room aforded is why I am looking at the larger TC but also based only on my web search my perception is both Host and Lance are quality units, perhaps Host being a little better?

9. Member
    I've used one of the 1100 series Lances for years. They are comfortable enough to survive the bad weather inside, but you'll want to spend most of your time outside. (I think that's a good thing). I still think that its a better option than a motor home, in most cases. The ability to use the truck to launch, get around and use it for utility purposes at home, far outweigh the disadvantages. Also, with vehicle registration and insurance so high in California, it would kill me to give Ca that much money to for a motorhome to sit when not using it.

10. Member
    OK Guys, next question is about the truck. I plan to sell my 2018 F-250 diesel and get an F-450 dually. Given the Lance and Host are big and heavy, do i need air bags and what else to make it safer to drive

Kromer it will depend on the 450 payload capacity , my 450 is 2 wheel drive and my payload is around 6,200 lbs, GVW is 14,500 , which when fully loaded with the Host , Boat and personal gear I am a little over max payload. I run completely stock , no air bags Truck 8,300 Camper 4800, Tongue weight 450 -500, personal gear 1,000 total 14,550 to 14,600 .

Air bags will make your truck ride level , but does not increase your payload capabilities

The biggest safety I can think of is to watch your distance between you and other vehicles , coming to stops and when making turns , it will take longer and further to stop than normal

2009 ELITE 210

12. Member
    I have a Lance 1062 and pull with a Ford F350 dually. The powerstroke pulls the Ranger 521c and the Lance with ease. I highly recommend a dually. You dont want a blow out with one rear tire. It is smaller than my 30 ft camper that i sold.. but if you pull a boat and travel like i like too it is the best. I get tired of everyone telling me how many motels i can stay in for what this costs. I am 55 and want to enjoy life and see things and sleep on my own sheets. My wife also loves it. It is very rewarding. My two cents.

13. Member
    I have a 11 series Lance with a F350 Dually and also pull 22 ft . Gambler … The truck will handle the weight ok without the air bags but when using the 36 in . extension for towing the boat the bags level the hitch to pull level.
    Also does help with cutting down the sway of the camper while on the road .. I wouldn't use mine without the air bags

Quote Originally Posted by Kromer View Post
    OK Guys, next question is about the truck. I plan to sell my 2018 F-250 diesel and get an F-450 dually. Given the Lance and Host are big and heavy, do i need air bags and what else to make it safer to drive

kromer,
    Do your research. I was thinking I needed a 450 or 4500 Ram or Chevy for my Host Cascade. I don’t believe there is much difference carrying capacity between the 350 DRW and 450. The 450 is made for more towing capacity than hauling capacity. A 350 leaves you more options for any brand, unless you want a Ford and is probably cheaper than a 450 and would be easier to find one available. But a 450 may give you a better feeling. Just a sugestion.

Last edited by billsnp5; 12-10-2020 at 07:44 PM.

2013 721 Phoenix 250 Optimax Pro XS
    2020 Ram 3500
    2021 Host Cascade Truck Camper

15. Member
    I carry A host cascade on a ram 3500. Only mods to suspension lower stable loads and helwig sway bar. We have stayed weeks at a time in the camper and pull a 20 ft basscat. We are going to Florida to fish in a few weeks. The Cascade is a great camper and the ram handles it well. You will love it

16. Banned
    Have never owned a truck camper but - like you - I've been doing a good bit of research.

First, I'd STRONGLY recommend "subscribing" to Truck Camper Magazine (it is free!): https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/ Just a treasure trove of valuable information. They have all sorts of articles about "matching" campers to trucks.

Second, definitely check-out some non-slide models too. Yes, the slides give you a lot more space, but also a lot more complications and opportunities for failure. They'll also limit the terrain can cover (though so will trailering a bass boat!).

I've subscribed to this thread. Very interested to hear input from others.

17. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    I have a friend who pulls a 25' offshore behind his Ford Lance combo
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

18. Member
    x2 on brimster's post. Truckcampermagazine is an awesome group that shares a ton of insight into gear, equipment, and setups. I have 2012 Ram 2500 with Firestone airbags and Torklift suspension stabilizers (Stabiloads). They help a ton by simply engaging your overload springs earlier, and giving you a rock-solid platform when running in the wind. Open highways are no-longer white-knuckled, as you don't sway. Also, I can't say enough great things about Host. Lance is here in CA, and they are awesome too. But I liked how Host was a little more unique, including the side-entrance on my short-bed (super rare). It makes it so easy to travel with the dogs, and frequently enter/exit on overnight short/stopovers where I don't need to disconnect.

*side-note - it's funny that I took this at the gas station. 9-10mpg or so is definitely the norm with a heavy rig like this set-up, but I wouldn't change a thing. It's so convenient and perfect for my small family. As other posts have said too, CA registration is outrageous, as well as the storage rates. Fortunately neither apply (wife is cool with boat in the 3-car garage) and camper stays on driveway.

IMG_5258.jpeg
    Jan-Erik
    2000 Ranger 520DVS, Mercury Optimax 225HP

19. Banned
    Just read this article in Truck Camper Magazine and was reminded of this thread.

20. Member
    I had 2015 F450/Host Mammoth and towed a Basscat Lynx with it. The Mammoth is a fine camper of good quality. I would not think of hauling that camper and towing a boat with anything less. Fuel mileage will be low due to high wind resistance. The F450 is the only way to go with that setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast