Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Ranger Report

Went down to Airport to pick up some touch-up paint and took a peek at the 188c and 178c they just got in. First thing was the trailer. No more C Channel - it was a regular tubular with the RangerTrail coating. Wheels and hubs look to be the same. The transom was all Tracker, with the step running surface. Should eliminate the porpoise squirrel. Paint had familiar clear coat on Black paint. I prefer my non-painted bottom. Fit and finish was all Tracker; however all compartments had gaskets and normal locking latches. Seats are the same and hardware is still Springfield screw down. There is an extra 4" of leg room at the console. I'm 5'11'' and I couldn't reach the wheel or the throttle from the back of the seat. In mine, I put a boat cushion behind my back for full reach.

I like the running surface change, but not satisfied with the other things. Will be keeping mine.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

2. Member
    What do you mean by step running surface? Like a pad?

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    What's the difference between a 188 and a 188C?

Got it, the crappie model.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

4. Member
    What do you mean by step running surface? Like a pad?
    If you look at the back of a 175, 190, and 195 Trackers, they have a step to the transom from the 10 degree semi vee. There is a picture of the back of the 190tx on Tracker's site.
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    If you look at the back of a 175, 190, and 195 Trackers, they have a step to the transom from the 10 degree semi vee. There is a picture of the back of the 190tx on Tracker's site.
    Wow, does this mean they changed the hull design and manufacturing process or is this the 188P hull? Did the hull still have the welded center keel?
    I expected them to use the powder coat paint process if they had existing capacity, but that is an improvement over the Ranger Urethane.
    I hate that they changed the trailer, Ranger f8nally had it right.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

6. Member
    I was told by my dealer that the paint would be powder coated. I have no idea which is best. I don't think the Ranger aluminum website has been updated for the 2021 models yet which maybe will show what the construction features are. I am disappointed that the trailer is no longer c channel just for the fact water does not possibly get trapped liked it can with a tube framed trailer. I've had both and never had a problem with either but maybe didn't keep any of them long enough for anything to show up, which was up to 8 years for a couple of them.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

7. Member
    I will be surprised if the Tracker influence improves the design, especially if a lot of the Ranger guys went to Vexus.

8. Member
    Bill Reynolds, it's definitely NOT the 188P. It does have the welded center keel.

Thanks a lot for the report about what they are doing. It was pretty much the next step to take after shutting down the RangerTrail trailer shop and shutting down the Ranger aluminum plant in Flippin. It is just sad what they are doing to the brand.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

10. Member
    After seeing this post I went google searching for photo's of the 2021 models. It looks like a lot of things changed. I couldn't find a pic that showed floor drains. They may be there but they aren't where mine are. It looks like they removed all the cup holders in the side and went with those crappy flip down ones everywhere they could. I do wonder if the hull changes will add any performance. If not your getting a cheaper quality boat & trailer for the same price or more than the 2020 models.

Why am I not surprised? Same old pattern...big company buys successful small company and, based on the recommendations of the bean counters, cheapen the product and reduce customer service, while living on the solid reputation of the small company...until folks catch on.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

12. Member
    Would hate to have a 2021 on order

13. Member
    One other thing, Airport normally has a 400 boat inventory. They advise that new Ranger and Triton deliveries have slowed dramatically. They normally have several Ranger and Triton of every iteration.

One positive thing: they insulated the locker lids.
    Combining that with the hull change which is probably positive and the powder coat paint (if they did that) their changes would have a net positive effect if they had not changed to a tube trailer.
    I don’t know what parameters go into HP rating, but if this boat was rated for 150 HP, it could be the modern day version of the Triton V186 Magnum.
    This runs against popular opinion, but is my observation.
    Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 11-06-2020 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Changed channel to tube

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

15. Member
    Popular opinion is anything JM touches will go to pot but he didn't make his gazillions selling junk. Nitro's started out not so good but became pretty solid boats after working out the kinks. In my past I have had Skeeter, Ranger and Triton, all had little to no problems. My last boat was a Nitro. There are some things that didn't measure up to my Rangers, like carpet, trailer and some construction techniques, but I never had an issue with anything. There was also a $10K price between it and a similarly sized Ranger so to reach a price point and a targeted audience there has to be some cut backs somewhere but nothing that compromised the safety of the boat. I think that Ranger aluminums will still be Ranger and Tracker will and has been the aluminum version of Nitro at a lower price point but still a good safe boat.

The 198P will be the 3rd boat I've bought from this dealer. They are convinced the boats will better being built in Lebanon instead of Flippin as there are more skilled workers available in Lebanon and the new factory will have more state of the art equipment. That remains to be seen but I'm willing to take a chance. At my advanced age I'm not going to be abusing whatever I own. I just need a lighter weight boat that is easier to push around in my garage and keep my feet dry when I go fishing.

I did drive thru Lebanon last week and the Tracker plant is by far the largest and newest. Acres of Trackers sitting waiting on shipping but didn't see any Rangers. The G3 and Lowe factories were smaller and somewhat older looking which means nothing from a quality standpoint. I did look up info on Lebanon and it said the boat businesses employ about 2500 folks. Not bad for a small town. I did notice that Lowe had a Brunswick sign at their factory so I assume they are owned by them.
    Last edited by jtrac; 11-06-2020 at 12:26 PM.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFan9 View Post
    Would hate to have a 2021 on order
    Why? Other than the trailer the boat should be the same quality it was.

17. Member
    I seen the new style trailer today that flat black color looks like it will be really hard to clean. I did see a RB190 that was painted a nice blue color I have never seen.

18. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Why is my Dealership telling me, with confidence, that the Ranger Bass Boats are staying in Flippin...?
    Someone does not have their facts straight, and personally it doesn't matter to me, at this point, I keep my stuff for a long time...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

19. Member
    Maybe cause headquarters and glass boat manufacturing is staying in Flippin, AK.

Ranger aluminum is what purportedly moved.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

20. Member
    I think Ranger made an announcement earlier this year that the aluminum production was moving to Lebanon. I don't think they are fully up and running yet as I'm not seeing many 2021's. There are a few but I haven't seen any P boats yet. The glass and headquarters remaining in Flippin is my understanding also. I also think the trailers for the aluminums are now made in Lebanon, my guess is by the same folks who make the Tracker trailers. I'm not sure if the glass trailers are still made in Flippin but that would also be my guess.
    Last edited by jtrac; 11-09-2020 at 07:15 PM.
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast