2003 stratos 185 hydraulic steering issue

New to me 2003 stratos 185 with 150 Yamaha. Took it out today after cleaning it up and replacing water pump. Noticed when turning left the steering wheel wants to jump or skip. Turning right no issue. Played with trimming it up or down, but no difference in the steering issue
    Wanted to check the hydraulic oil level, but not clear to me where it is located.
    Any idea where the reservoir is located?

My system is Sea Star...here is a post I made on how to purge air and add fluid to the system.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1060846

What part of KY are you in? If close to central KY I have the stuff needed to do a bleed/purge.

I'm just south of Lexington. Looks like Columbia is about 1 1/2 hour away. The fella I bought the boat from fished Green River Lake
    I read your post from June, and lots of good info. I have a Sea Star system also and I believe the oil fill is right at the top of the steering wheel

If you follow whats in the post I made you can bleed it yourself...you will have to turn the steering SEVERAL times to the left and right to purge all the air. If I can be any help just let me know. If you were closer you could swing buy my place and we would knock it out. I have everything needed. It sucks to pay $20 for a quart and only need a few ounces. Plus I have the bleeder kit.

When you say the person you bought the boat from fish Green a lot do you recall his name or where he lived. Did he live in a small rural community called Canevalley or Corburg about 5 minutes from the lake. If yes then I remember seeing the boat. Gold or a light brown in color if its the boat I am thinking about. If that's it and you know where he lives then I am only 5 minutes from there.

Wow, thanks for the offer. I'll PM you

Took my boat out today after bleeding the air on the hydraulic steering system. What a fantastic difference.
    Conditions at Taylorsville were pretty windy but the boat preformed excellently. Very responsive on all turns
    Thanks Gene for all your help

Quote Originally Posted by Coach185 View Post
    Took my boat out today after bleeding the air on the hydraulic steering system. What a fantastic difference.
    Conditions at Taylorsville were pretty windy but the boat preformed excellently. Very responsive on all turns
    Thanks Gene for all your help

I hate you had to drive an hour and forty minutes one way but there was no need to go to a dealer and pay an hour shop labor and $20 for a quart of fluid when all you needed was a couple ounces. We spent 30 maybe 45 minutes doing the bleed and another 1-1.5 hr having a good conversation...glad too meet you and glad I could help.

Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    I hate you had to drive an hour and forty minutes one way but there was no need to go to a dealer and pay an hour shop labor and $20 for a quart of fluid when all you needed was a couple ounces. We spent 30 maybe 45 minutes doing the bleed and another 1-1.5 hr having a good conversation...glad too meet you and glad I could help.
    That's BBC
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

9. Member
    Keep checking for leaks. If you had air, then you most likely have a leak. That sealed system doesn’t get air unless it has a seal problem somewhere.
    it will probably come back and need the end cap seals replaced. I just replaced mine with new end caps instead of just the seal because it was faster and it had the seals already factory installed in the caps.

Russ, thanks for the advice. I have checked the shafts on the steering cylinder and see/feel no oil residue or leaks. I'll keep checking to make sure I'm not loosing oil.

Took my boat out yesterday and felt a slight tick when turning left. Nothing like before Gene and I bled the air out of the system, but I am more aware now so I pulled the cap to check fluid level. Down below acceptable level, so time to look deeper into the seastar system to find the lead point.
    I still don't see any significant leakage from the cylinder rods but from what I know about hydraulic systems air can come in and fluid doesn't necessarily come out to a significant degree.
    As Russ suggested above probably time to replace the seals in the cylinder. Replacing the complete cap sounds like the way to go.
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Keep me posted

I also replied to you trailer post