Gika or Tokyo rig

if you use a worm hook and a cylindrical drop shot weight next to the hook isn't about the same thing, are those rigs just a gimmick to sell you something
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

2. Member
    Sure, Gamakatsu wants to compete with VMC since the Tokyo rig is selling well.

I expect the other manufacturer's to come out with theirs also.

This is how the market works, and how we get new and improved products that cost more.

If you use a drop shot weight, you need to open the line pinch and install a small split ring. The weight and hook must be loosely linked by a split ring and preferably dual linked split rings. What does the Jika rig do better than Texas rig? It falls different, nearly straight down because the weight pivots down vertical pulling the hook behind. It does not pendulum away from cover, instead falls vertical beside or in the cover. On the bottom the weight strikes bottom and allows the bait to float and swing above in the current. Texas rig holds the bait mostly flat against the bottom. It can be used instead of a jig head with a craw or creature and allows the craw to stand with claws up in a natural defensive stance. Hopping it along, then the weight swinging allows the bait to fall straight and stand up on the bottom, again more like a natural craw. It can be used with curl tail grubs and boot tail soft swimbaits to bounce along the bottom or swim it back and the hanging weight under the lure keeps it upright through the water. And it also tends to hang up less. Since the weight swings back as you pull it, it tends not to jam itself into rock cracks or limb forks like the point of a bullet weight on a Texas rig.

This shows what I am saying. Music is a little obnoxious, but good demonstration.

Here Ike explains the Tokyo Rig. Same principal but holds bait off the bottom and quick weight change.

Last edited by Skeeterbait; 11-04-2020 at 10:08 AM.

4. Member
    thanks fellows, Skeeterbait the music wasn't too bad at first, but the video was a very good explanation of what was going on with those rigs
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

5. Member
    I know I had pretty good luck on a Tokyo rig this summer on some different lakes. I think they are very similar rigs, but the Tokyo rig can keep the lure up off the bottom a bit more than the other due to the wire length.

6. Member
    I like the VMC Tokyo rig. I throw Beaver type baits a lot and just wasn't happy Texas rigging them. Generally a Zoom Z-craw or Yum Woolly Bully.

They are made for a Tokyo rig. 4/0 EWG.

Rockin !!