Thread: Carb floats

Carb floats

I asked this over in the Yamaha forum but haven’t gotten any responses. I have my carbs apart and when I took the float chamber off the bottom my floats didn’t look to be sitting level. Any Mercury carb I’ve ever cleaned, I’ve made sure they float (no pin holes) and make sure their sitting level in the chamber. My carb Yamaha has had on and off surging issues since I got it and I’m wondering if improper float angle in the carbs may be contributing. Does anyone know if I should bend the tabs to make them level, I don’t have a manual for an old 2000 Vmax 150 so I don’t know float height specs. I wish I did so I could mic it but.....
    Sorry for asking here but my set up is very very similar to the 150 carbureted Mercs so I figured it was worth a shot.
    Thanks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There is a specific float height for those floats- though I don't happen to have a manual sitting around anymore for that engine. Surely someone on the Yamaha forum has a Service Manual and can lookup the float height measurement for you.

Of course- it would be good to have your own manual since you'll need to make sure everything is properly setup and synchronized as well.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks so much Don. I did finally get a perfect and exact response in the Yamaha forums. Guess I was just being impatient...oops.