Yamaha carbed motor float height

My motor is overdue for a carb(s) cleaning. I am pulling off and cleaning my carbs and when I removed the bowls I noticed my floats look like they are sitting at a weird angle. They still float so they aren’t “heavy” or taking in fuel.
    My question is to anyone with a service manual or any insight, what is the correct float height for these carbs.
    Its a carbureted Vmax 150. I think the part number for the carbs is 64C-14301-S2-00....
    Thanks

2. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    I believe when flipped over (needle valve closed), the carb float top should sit level with the carb body.

AND, be careful when adjusting them. Don't put a bunch of pressure on the needle valve / seat.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

3. Member
    Is the model of the motor unknown? If so, how about the primary ID number?

If we can figure out a way to find out the model or primary ID we can then get to all that needs to be known.

4. Member
    Vmax V150TLRY 2000 year model

5. Member
    Thanks guys

Will let you know when i get home. I rebuilt mine last year. If the measurement is not done right when you pump the fuel bulb, fuel will come out of the carb.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

7. Member

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    911, I cant tell you how much I appreciate you getting that for me!!! Thanks man!!
    And Thanks as always to BBC

9. Member
    From my experience with other motors, this is one of the most critical measurements, the motor will not run correctly if the float level is incorrect.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daf290 View Post
    From my experience with other motors, this is one of the most critical measurements, the motor will not run correctly if the float level is incorrect.
    Well, since I’ve had it it has never reached 5500 RPM no matter what motor height, prop pitch...etc. Not that I want to run around maxed out all the time but it would be nice to know it’s running right and able to hit WOT RPM. It has also intermittently surged at mid-high RPM more than a couple times. My floats were definitely sitting higher than the 16mm. Abnormally high. Makes me wonder if the floats were replaced in the best and never adjusted. Maybe if will run better when I put it back together...fingers crossed

11. Member
    ***in the past, I mean

Quote Originally Posted by Cphil View Post
    Well, since I’ve had it it has never reached 5500 RPM no matter what motor height, prop pitch...etc. Not that I want to run around maxed out all the time but it would be nice to know it’s running right and able to hit WOT RPM. It has also intermittently surged at mid-high RPM more than a couple times. My floats were definitely sitting higher than the 16mm. Abnormally high. Makes me wonder if the floats were replaced in the best and never adjusted. Maybe if will run better when I put it back together...fingers crossed
    Hey, i'm going to tell you dont worry about running wide open all the time. I have many hours on mine wide open and no issues. I have made 35 mile runs wide open one way. As long as you use ringfree to control the carbon buildup and dont exceed the rpm limits...there should be no problems. But yes, once you get all your measurements correct and reinstall them carbs i would also do a "link and sync" to make sure she is at her prime.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

13. Member
    Thanks guys

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    Thanks to the advice here, I am happy to report that after adjusting my way out of whack carb floats my motor that was only maxing out at 5000 or 5100 RPM, I actually hit 5700 today at one point with my M23 prop. Service manual says 5500 max on mine.
    Thanks for the help. Love when it’s something simple!!