Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2002 Evinrude 225HP E225FHLSNF

Hey guys I'm needing a little help. My motor cranks and idles fine in water, but it shuts off when shifting into reverse. I can push in the hotfoot a little and it will reverse but that's the only way. Motor runs great at WOT. I have changed spark plugs. I have changed fuel water separator. I cleaned the exhaust sensor and tube. I replaced the shift interrupt switch. I also tried to unplug the shift interrupt switch while on water but all that done was made my oil buzzer come on. Any Thoughts? My idle is at 1000 rpm on guage while idling.

Check your gap on the plugs and have them indexed?
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    I did gap them but didn't index them.

4. Member
    I will try that this eve. I may not get to put it in the water for a few days. Thanks!

5. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

6. Member
    Thanks for the help Guys! I did Index those plugs last night and I hooked it to muffs just to see if I could tell a difference. The motor did seem to idle way better but its hard to know if that fixed it or not. It has been shifting fine on muffs but not in water. I'm going to vote after work today so it will be tomorrow evening before I get a chance to get to waterway. I will update back in a couple of days. I'm feeling pretty pumped that indexing those plugs may have me fixed... Thanks again guys!

7. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    On the Ficht, DFI, and Etec engines indexing the plugs is a must for smooth idle and runability....I think you will notice a difference....Good job Kut Tail !

Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    On the Ficht, DFI, and Etec engines indexing the plugs is a must for smooth idle and runability....I think you will notice a difference....Good job Kut Tail !
    Had some good teachers on here hah!
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

9. Member
    Looking good to go this evening with 72 degrees and sunshine. I cant wait to see if that fixes it. I just got this boat a few months back and really love the way it handles. I had a Faststrike 150 on my last boat and never had to index plugs but have heard of it. Fuel injection is all new to me. I'm thankful to be a part of this site! I will update later this evening with hopefully good news.

10. Member
    Also run XD100 oil and add carbon guard, whereas new to you. Also do a can/treatment of OMC/Bomb Engine Tuner.

11. Member
    Well guys in water this boat doesn't want to do right. It cranks right up and idles ok but it still cuts out when shifting into reverse. as bad as I wanted that to work it just didn't do it. If I press the hot foot in just a little and shift in reverse I can unload it from trailer and go from there with several restarts. Once I go forward it seems ok. Other than that it runs like a top. I hit 75 yesterday evening with no problem. If I drop off buddy at boat dock to get the truck I basically have to use trolling motor to get up to dock without rammng it. Any other suggestions? I have not tried the bomb tuner yet.

Do a decarb and make sure you clean the exhaust pressure sensor. If you continue to have a problem at that point then you should do a compression check.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

13. Member
    Is this on a bass boat? I ask as there were some posts on here about OBs stalling if trimmed all the way down on really low mounted OBs and the advice given was to trim the motor up so the exhaust relief holes were out of the water. Check the archives, maybe searching for 'relief' as a key word.

I'd also disconnect your shift linkage and make sure everything is cleaned and well lubed and works easily, then check with the linkages attached. While you have the starboard-side lower pan off, I'd also make sure the shift-interrupt switch is secured in place with a large zip tie, to hold it secure. When I first got my then-new-to-me FFI, I was having issues shifting to reverse, but it wasn't the gearing or linkage and whatever it was ... someone here told me to tie that switch in place tight ... and it's been fine ever since.

FWIW I also adjust the 'fixed' trim rod so the OB can't trim way, way down too far. As is, where my OB is on a bracket, she reverses significantly better with the OB trimmed up, to push the prop thrust UNDER the hull and not against the transom. Also see the picture, as my '98 Ficht OEM Service Manual has a NOTE about using foot throttles.

Keep us posted!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DaleH; 11-05-2020 at 08:45 AM.

14. Member
    Yes Dale its a 1996 Stratos 201 pro XL. 2002 Evinrude 225HP. I will get a compression tool today just to know for sure. Then go from there. I should have done that first but it just runs so good besides the reverse. If the compression checks out I will definitely check my hot foot cable then shift switch to make sure its secure, and then do a decarb. I do know I have some slack in hotfoot. I can pull it back with foot once I let off gas. I have cleaned the exhaust pressure sensor once along with the hose and it was pretty bad stopped up. I had to use a small screwdriver to scrape out carbon then I sprayed it with can with carb cleaner. Maybe it does need to be decarbed??

15. Member
    Ohh yea I did experiment with it trimmed up yesterday after I run it pretty hard for about 30 mins and it still don't like reverse. I will update back when I check this compression. Man I like tinkering on boat but I don't look forward to this compression test...

16. Member
    Sorry it took so long but I had kids soccer all weekend. I checked my compression yesterday evening and all cylinders in order are (1) 115. (2) 110 (3) 118 (4) 112 (5) 107 (6) 107. The number 5, and 6 seemed low to me so I checked them two again and they both read 110. Does this compression look about right? Should I be concerned with those first lower readings?

17. Member
    All is good comp test

18. Member
    I redone my compression again last night just to be sure and it is still 110-118. That is a big relief. Hopefully I can do a decarb this week as well.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassjerkin View Post
    I redone my compression again last night just to be sure and it is still 110-118. That is a big relief. Hopefully I can do a decarb this week as well.

ignore (you did clean sensor)
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

20. Member
    Yes sir I did clean it. I am going to try to decarb this thing and see if that makes a difference. I never have decarbed one and lots of stuff out there on how to. From what I can tell the only way to decarb a ficht is through gas, and on water.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast