Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    You can do it at home using the muffs, get the spray can of the BRP engine tune and follow the directions. . Do not do it on the driveway it will stain! You will need to change the plugs afterword!
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

2. Member
    Well I decarbed the motor today at lake and it did smoke like crazy. Ran it pretty hard for an hour or so then it shut off on me and I got a check engine light. It is flashing repeatedly and will not allow me to start engine. I got it back home and removed plugs and I can turn flywheel by hand and cylinders seem fine. I have 12v to solenoid but not to starter. It seems electrical shutdown of some sort because of the check engine light. Any body know what is going on?

You'll need to clear the codes using the diagnostic software. Had to do the same thing when I decarbed mine.
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

4. Member
    Ok cool. Thought I really messed up bad. Should I invest in the software or take it to shop?

If you are going to continue to work on the motor in the future then invest in the software!
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

Get the software
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    Yea I am definitely needing that. Can someone point me in the right direction for what i need and a good place to get it? You guys have already been a great help and I really appreciate it!

8. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    If you can get a quick in and out on the diagnostic reset at your dealer....may be worth it for now and keep fishing and order the software for later use....

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Keep in mind the diags are not an officially licensed copy from BRP. Most cases it is coming from and eastern block country. Look on Ebay or Amazon.

10. Member
    So I called our local shop and he said he would reset the dianostics for about $110 if that is all it needs done. He said he was about two weeks out. I think I will go with ordering software just to get back on water sooner!

11. Member
    I don't mind supporting the local boat shop either but he seems to be doing okay since he is two weeks out. Software will be cheaper too! Thanks again..

12. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Blows my mind they won't take 15 minutes to do a diag and reset on an engine for an easy 110.00.....

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    Blows my mind they won't take 15 minutes to do a diag and reset on an engine for an easy 110.00.....

They ain't hungry.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassjerkin View Post
    I don't mind supporting the local boat shop either but he seems to be doing okay since he is two weeks out. Software will be cheaper too! Thanks again..
    i'll never understand the attitude with code pulling. i pulled a check engine light and rough idle on the truck a few years ago driving through a small town. i had forgotten my tool kit so no code checker. i pulled into a mini-mall with a parts place and auto shop side by side. i had no tools so i started with the mechanic. no bays working and he wants $150 just to pull the code. i walked next door to a parts place and bought a code checker for $75. bad ignition coil. so i bought a coil and a $10 ratchet and a $10 socket and replaced it myself while parked in front of the parts shop. mechanic could have made a fast $100 cash off me easy to replace the coil if he'd just pulled the code and i'd have happily headed off for lunch. instead he never got out of his chair and my son got a code checker for his birthday.

15. Member
    Thanks for the software advice! Over the weekend I was able to get software installed and hooked to boat. I found code 57 and cleared it out. Thankfully I got boat back to running condition. I took boat to nearby ramp and just released back tow straps and plugged her up so I could just back in water to check her out. Still I am happy she is running but it still dies in reverse. The weird thing is it would die in forward as well. after it was good and warm forward not so much. Could my prop cause this? Its a big raker. I think a 27. If I hold the gas pedal down some it does not die out. Also I have not read up on manual on how to adjust hot foot cable as recommended above but planning to look at that as well. I did run test with software and everything checks out on the muffs.

16. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    When I was turning wrenches o cars years ago, I would offer to hook up a scan tool(not code puller) for a fee. If you did the repair with me, no charge for it. If not, pay up for diag fee and head on down to AutoZone. Diag fee is a diag fee hands down. Marine techs invest thousands of dollars in training and tools and yet people expect free stuff???? Go ask a doctors office if they would give you a free x-ray or an exam so you can take your business elsewhere.....

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    When I was turning wrenches o cars years ago, I would offer to hook up a scan tool(not code puller) for a fee. If you did the repair with me, no charge for it. If not, pay up for diag fee and head on down to AutoZone. Diag fee is a diag fee hands down. Marine techs invest thousands of dollars in training and tools and yet people expect free stuff???? Go ask a doctors office if they would give you a free x-ray or an exam so you can take your business elsewhere.....
    that's more than fair, especially with those scanners. i will also gladly pay a mechanic their shop rates for time and a little extra to pull a check engine code. just not the $100+ so many shops here still try and charge for it. it ain't rocket surgery anymore. it's five minutes of their time and a good shop quality check engine tester costs about the same as a decent torque wrench or gear puller and i don't see special charges for when those get pulled out.

18. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    I don’t think Mike is complaining about the cost. I read it as him saying he can’t believe the shop wants to schedule it two weeks out instead of just dropping by, paying your 110, and resetting the code for him since it only takes a few minutes. When I worked the front desk of a local service center 20 years ago I used to do that all the time for the diy’ers. Tell them it takes a few minutes but we charge an hour of shop time. If they agreed to pay it, no matter how busy we were, I’d walk out and do it myself. It was straight money.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude520 View Post
    I don’t think Mike is complaining about the cost. I read it as him saying he can’t believe the shop wants to schedule it two weeks out instead of just dropping by, paying your 110, and resetting the code for him since it only takes a few minutes. When I worked the front desk of a local service center 20 years ago I used to do that all the time for the diy’ers. Tell them it takes a few minutes but we charge an hour of shop time. If they agreed to pay it, no matter how busy we were, I’d walk out and do it myself. It was straight money.
    yeah, i apologize that i sidetracked this discussion by focussing on the dollars part of it and also mixing it up with a sightly different beef i have with car repair code pulling.

bottom line, telling a customer to wait 2 weeks for the privilege of being charged $110 to take 10 minutes to reset a code so he can use his otherwise perfectly serviceable motor got a reaction out of me. we live in interesting times for evinrude dealers so i guess i should cut them some slack, but i don't think that's how you run a sustainable business in normal times.

20. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    And these new motors are kinda like rocket surgery......

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast