Difference between a Revolution 4 and Trophy props

I have a 2007 Ranger 178 with 150 Mercury on it. I am currently running with a Revolution 4 21 pitch 4 bladed prop. On a good day, I can get up to 55mph WOT. My Dad had an extra prop for his boat, Trophy 23 pitch 4 bladed prop, and I was wondering how the Trophy prop would effect my speed and handling? Does anyone have any experience with the Trophy prop?

I am also wondering how vent plugs impact the impact the performance of a prop. The Revolution prop have all 4 plugs in and the Trophy prop is missing all of the plugs.

Thanks!

Give it a try
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

3. Member
    I had a Triton 196 with a 200 Optimax. The Rev 4 ran more like a 25" Trophy. It performed best with all plugs removed. For the Trophy, I either needed the plugs in with no ring or the plugs out with the ring in place. I preferred the Rev 4 for my needs. Top speed was not on my priority list so I can't help you there. Both are good props and the right one is the one that does the most things you want better than the other one.

4. Member
    From what I have read, and from Merc videos I have watched, I do not think the Rev 4 would be in the top 5 of props for that set up. As it turns out, my last boat was a Ranger 178VX. I tried a Tempest Plus 23P and 21P, and two different Trophys, both 23P. The Tempest Plus 23P was very, very efficient, and the fastest of all. The Trophy Plus 23P was the best handling, reduced porpoising, and within just a couple to 3 MPH of the Tempest. The older non-plus Trophy was very good all around, but needed plugs to prevent blow out.

5. Member
    Thanks PMantle, I am going to test out the Trophy 23p this weekend. I don't have the plugs for it so I'll see if I get a lot of blowout from.

6. Member
    I didn't get a chance to test the Trophy prop. I plan to get the vent plugs and test the prop installing one plug at a time to evaluate the performance.

7. Member
    I'd get a 23" tempest for Ranger they need bow lift that a trophy doesn't have.

8. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    I'd get a 23" tempest for Ranger they need bow lift that a trophy doesn't have.
    I'd bet Mark Croxton can make it lift.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

9. Member
    On my Older Stratos which like bow lift . I ran a Rev-4 once it ran like my Bravo1 prop with less stern lift.