Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

VesselView Link fuel gauge not working

1. SN 2B736747
    2. 2020/Triton/21TRX
    3. 25p Fury 3
    4. 5800-5900
    5. Idle ~6 / WOT ~20
    6. Smartcraft (VesselView Link)

I recently had the VesselView Link installed on my new boat to display on a Lowrance HDS12 Live. Everything works except the fuel gauge (tach, speed, oil, coolant, etc). I've checked the settings as recommended in a separate thread about Vessel View LINK Communication Problems (with Lowrance units) to no avail. The fuel gauge worked initially, showing an almost full tank. The level went down during the initial outing, but did not go up upon refilling the tank. The level continued to go down to ZERO and has never changed since. Any ideas?

2. Member
    If you are monitoring fuel level strictly based on flow (not an actual sensor in the tank) then you will need to enter the amount of fuel added each time, on the Lowrance.

Alternately if it has not already been added, and if its available with your particular model (Don could confirm), you could add the optional fuel harness which connects to a standard in tank float sensor. If you choose to go this route the in tank sensor can only be connected to the optional harness or to an analog gauge, can not be connected to both at the same time.
    Last edited by R2Tracker; 11-02-2020 at 04:05 PM.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Gary- it's likely that you're still connected to an ANALOG fuel gauge. In order to utilize Fuel Level on the Vessel View system you would need to install the (Optional) Fuel Harness between the engine and the fuel tank sender (and REMOVE the original pink wire completely from the sender, rendering the Analog gauge non-functional).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I had the same issue when i installed mine and consulted Don and he recommended the harness i did not want run any more wires so i bought the lowrance fuel level sender that connects from you tank wires to your existing nmea network and you monitor fuel level via your lowrance gauges works perfectly.

5. Member
    If you truly wish to "not run any more wires", its a very simple but manual step to enter fuel added on the Lowrance. You just need to remember to do it... If you pour 5 gallons into the tank, you must tell the Lowrance you added 5 gallons.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wash84 View Post
    I had the same issue when i installed mine and consulted Don and he recommended the harness i did not want run any more wires so i bought the lowrance fuel level sender that connects from you tank wires to your existing nmea network and you monitor fuel level via your lowrance gauges works perfectly.
    That will work for a display... but does it permit you to see fuel RANGE (how far you can go on current fuel volume)? That, and some other Smartcraft Features rely on the Fuel Level data.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thank you for your reply. I really don't want to have to enter the amount added each time if I can avoid that process. I will reach out to Don for the appropriate optional parts needed. Thanks again!

8. Member
    Don, Thanks for your response! Can you provide me the part numbers or info for the optional fuel harness? Or, send me in the right direction to obtain these parts. I would really like for it to work, even if I have to run additional wires. Thanks again!

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    See Rhonda's post (pinned at the top of the Forum). If you send her an email (provide serial number and let her know you already have Vessel View functional), she can set you up with the Fuel Harness and get it out to you.

Her email address is in the post.

10. Member
    Don, I installed the fuel harness I got from Rhonda from the fuel tank sensor to the engine harness connection at the rear of the engine and I still do not get a reading on my VesselView gauge. Any thoughts on next things to check? Thanks, Gary

11. Member
    Is your black ground wire connected to the engine battery?
    MY Engine Serial Number : 2B411498

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Make sure the Tank-1 lead (pink w/black stripe) is the ONLY pink wire on the sender. You must also have a GROUND wire on the sender.

Make sure it's TANK-1 that you're on.

Then, you must go into the VesselView settings and set up the tank.

13. Member
    yes, it is connected directly to the cranking battery.

14. Member
    I'm on the Tank-1 lead with a ground to the cranking battery. I've set up the tank as best I can figure in VV and still no reading. There is always a chance I am doing something wrong in the set up though.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    With the Tank-1 lead DISCONNECTED from the sender, check resistance between that post/wire and Cranking Battery GROUND.

What is that resistance reading?

16. Member
    Don, With my meter set on 2kΩ range, the reading I got was .078Ω. Thanks, Gary

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Either the sender is bad, or you have a poor/bad GROUND connection. With a good sending unit, and a good GROUND connection, the total resistance should be somewhere in the 230 - 30 ohm range (30-230 ohms).

18. Member
    Thanks Don! I've requested a sender already. But, it's taking a while to get.

19. Member

VVL Fuel gauge still not reading

Hey Don,

I've done everything I know to do and what you recommended (wiring harness from sender to engine harness) to try to resolve my problem with the fuel gauge not reading on my VesselView Link. I replaced the sender unit and verified the correct Ohm readings (30-230) prior to install. I calibrated the 5 settings by hand before I installed the sender unit in the tank. I know it is sending readings from the tank sender unit to the VVL, because I can see the level change on the tank set-up screen when I move the float from bottom(0%), quarter(25%), half(50%), three quarter(75%) and top(100%). However, no fuel readings (gauge or digital number of gallons) will display on the Mercury VVL home screen or the fuel screen that shows Total Fuel Flow, Fuel Used, Total Fuel Gallons and a gauge. I have also updated the software to the latest version and that didn't help either. I've attached a pdf so you can see what I'm seeing/not seeing on the screens. Any additional help would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks, Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

20. Member
    Is it possible there is a setting somewhere where you just need to select the correct source for the "fuel gauge" that is being depicted on the home screen? (by looking at the "tank setup" screen there are 4 possible sources, so in theory one must select which source is being monitored and represented by the "fuel gauge")

Unfortunately its winter here and I likely will not have an opportunity to tinker with my Lowrance and VVL till spring, so I cant go exploring for the existence and location of such a setting.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast