Is this an indicator?

rub by mikesgm, on Flickr

Damn , do you have any pics on a trail camera ?
    Proud Army Dad

3. Member
    Not yet

4. Member
    Looks like that old boy stood there and whittled awhile. How big was the tree before? I never was any good at judging a bucks size by the rub but there have only been a handful of times I've seen them take on a tree 6" or more. Those get my attention.

A buddy of mine told me it wasn’t the size of the tree but how high the rub was on the tree that determined the size of the deer.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    A buddy of mine told me it wasn’t the size of the tree but how high the rub was on the tree that determined the size of the deer.
    Meh, I don't know as I agree with that rule of thumb. Bucks don't get much taller as they age although a North Woods buck is often taller than those to the south. Any deer can beat up a 1" sapling but fewer will choose trees over 4". Larger trees can sometimes tell you a little something about the brow tines too unless they shred it 360 degrees

I’ve seen some rubs that were close to 6 feet tall on telephone pole sized trees. That was in elk country, though...
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Meh, I don't know as I agree with that rule of thumb. Bucks don't get much taller as they age although a North Woods buck is often taller than those to the south. Any deer can beat up a 1" sapling but fewer will choose trees over 4". Larger trees can sometimes tell you a little something about the brow tines too unless they shred it 360 degrees
    No possible way to judge the size of a buck by a rub. I’ve seen 4 points rub a 8” tree and I’ve seen 150” deer wear out a little sapling

9. Member
    Been numerous studies done on rubs. Some rubs are marking post and every buck in the area hit them.

10. Banned
    Beaver?