Restoration questions...

I’m thinking of fully restoring my x21 dual console my questions are, what is the best primer, paint and clear coat to use on aluminum? I plan to re-primer and repaint to another color. And also what’s the best glue or adhesive for carpet to aluminum? Carpet I plan to go with basscat 24oz carpet, thanks in advance.

fine tune the pad area I used just bondo still good after 10+ years.
    go up about 2 foot get it flat and square. base clear worked for me.
    don't remember the primer.
    1998 bullet 20xd 2006 225 sport xs

3. Member
    Red , Im doing the same thing to an X 19 . I went with Alexseal paint for the finish coat but check out Jamestown Distributors for all the primer and their line of products . The Totalboat line is highly rated as is Alexseal, Awlgrip and several other name brand paints . I would recommend spraying vs the roll and tip method . Let me tell ya , that glue under the carpet aint no joke to remove . I used acetone to remove residue after having the whole boat bead blasted . Blasting the boat gives you a good profile to let the paint adhere to . Be sure to seal all the holes in the floor where they injected foam . I had over 16 holes in the floor where water could get into the foam .

4. Member
    Thanks for the replies guys, I’ll definitely check those products out.

5. Member
    On the pad I use everglass it’s extremely strong and bonds well to aluminum.

ran over a wing dam on the red river and among other things tore a 6 inch gash in the pad right through a place where I had that product. It didn’t come off just simply had a cut through it just like the aluminum

ground it all out re welded it and re glassed it.

great product