First Deer of the Season (Doe) Bow Hunting

After letting a nice doe pass on opening day and only getting out a few times since I finally connected on a nice mature doe to get some meat in the freezer. I always feel blessed to harvest any game, but I feel especially lucky to be able to do it on public land surrounded by a ton of other hunters putting pressure all over the woods. I have also been working to get better at self filming my hunts so I can relive the moments years from now...but believe me it's not as easy as the pros make it look...its hard to adjust a camera, get the bow set, and still not be seen or heard by the deer...lol. It's just good to be out in the woods with nature...and a added bonus when you can harvest a deer...and it does not have to be a giant wall hanger to be a memory...it's just great to be out there. Hope everyone's season is going great...now it's time to get ready for my next adventure...a bow hunt in Ohio.

Well done

3. Member
    Congrats! Any deer on public land is awesome!

Good job, always difficult om Public land.

Quote Originally Posted by JayLaw View Post
    Congrats! Any deer on public land is awesome!
    Got that part right, exactly how I feel. I would love to be able to hunt monsters all day on my own private parcel full of food and such, but since that can't happen I do the next best thing to stay involved in the sport and provide some extra meat in the freezer. Honestly though public land is tough...but not impossible, I actually enjoyed bow season and it was never "overun" with to many people....now come rifle season I would not step foot in these woods...lol

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Congratulations on your success. I also harvested my first VA deer of the season yesterday with a Bear compound bow that my wife bought me 40 years ago as a Christmas present. I've hunted off and on over the years but had never harvested a deer via archery so I am pretty pumped about finally checking that box. Most of that time I lived in PA where there is no Sunday hunting and I was usually traveling during the week so hunting opportunities were limited. Right now I am working from home so the opportunities to get into the stand are better. The weird part of my hunt is that I was figuring on shooting a doe unless I saw a really nice buck as I have two outstanding studs hanging around my woods. So at 7:50 AM a nice doe stopped about 15 yards in front of me and I made a good shot and she dropped after a 75 yard scoot. But imagine my surprise when I realized that it wasn't a doe but a buck with about 5" spikes! Good thing I had an appointment with the eye doc on Friday and ordered new glasses. Now if I want to have a chance to bag one of these big bucks, one of which walked by my stand at 5 AM yesterday (according to the camera) I have to first shoot a doe because I live in a "Earn a buck" county. Such complications.

Here is the buck that walked past my stand about 90 minutes before I got into it. The time stamp is about 5 hours off. He only comes out at night!

https://ibb.co/wymyqwn

Here is the buck that walked past my stand about 90 minutes before I got into it. The time stamp is about 5 hours off. He only comes out at night!

https://ibb.co/wymyqwn[/QUOTE]

Don't the big ones always show up at night...lol. I have to agree about complications....VA has some of the weirdest deer regs I have seen. Good luck the rest of the season