Thread: Detune Optimax

Detune Optimax

Is it possible to “detune” or reprogram a 225 Optimax down to 200 ?
    If it is possible, would there be any long term effects?
    My boat is rated for 200 but there are more 225 motors for sale than 200’s.
    Thanks for any info on this.
    George.

No, there is not a way to detune any big Optimax. Your options are to 1 keep looking, 2 hang a 225 and put on 200 decals. I would just keep looking.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    Why would you do that? Just get a 225 and put 200 decals on it.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Changing the decals will not change the engine rating, or negate the potential safety (and liability) factors that are involved with overpowering a boat beyond it's USCG Rating/Capacity.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

So riddle me this.. a standard 200 Optimax is rated for 200 HP, but a ProXS 200 is what +10%? so 220 hp.. Why's that 5hp difference so much safer and within rating compared to that 225hp Optimax that's the same weight and size.. ?
    1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite DC
    2010 Mercury 200 ProXS
    Dual Lowrance Ti2's / Ghost TM

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    (and liability) factors that are involved with overpowering a boat beyond it's USCG Rating/Capacity.
    What would those be exactly?

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    What would those be exactly?
    A real-world example.

A former customer decided to put a 225hp engine (done himself, as I would not do it) on his boat a number of years ago. He ran it without incident for at least 4 years.

While traveling down the lake, minding his own business, another boat was coming out of a cove and did not give way. The two boats collided, damage occurred to both boats and there were injuries.

"Former Customer" recovered quickly, and thought that he was in the right (after all- he technically did have the right of way). However: When the attorney for the other party uncovered that the boat had been overpowered with an engine of a larger HP capacity than it was rated for, it was easy for said attorney to establish a "wanton disregard for safety standards, regulations, laws, and the safety/well-being of others".

I'm not an attorney, and I'm not qualified to give any legal advice. However... as a layperson, I definitely wouldn't want to be found in that position (especially in today's litigious society).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    A real-world example.

A former customer decided to put a 225hp engine (done himself, as I would not do it) on his boat a number of years ago. He ran it without incident for at least 4 years.

While traveling down the lake, minding his own business, another boat was coming out of a cove and did not give way. The two boats collided, damage occurred to both boats and there were injuries.

"Former Customer" recovered quickly, and thought that he was in the right (after all- he technically did have the right of way). However: When the attorney for the other party uncovered that the boat had been overpowered with an engine of a larger HP capacity than it was rated for, it was easy for said attorney to establish a "wanton disregard for safety standards, regulations, laws, and the safety/well-being of others".

I'm not an attorney, and I'm not qualified to give any legal advice. However... as a layperson, I definitely wouldn't want to be found in that position (especially in today's litigious society).
    Yeah, that would never work here. If the HP of the engine was not a cause in fact of the incident, then no additional liability just for having it. The operator was either at fault, or he wasn't.

To me, it's similar to the red-herring of cell phone use during a wreck. I have had plaintiff attorneys subpoena my clients' cell phone records in rear end accidents lol.
    Last edited by PMantle; 11-02-2020 at 01:28 PM. Reason: spelling

9. Member
    Thanks for all of the answers and advice. I am not interested in overpowering the boat so I will just continue looking for a 200 until I find one.

10. Member
    Changing the decals will not change the engine rating, or negate the potential safety (and liability) factors that are involved with overpowering a boat beyond it's USCG Rating/Capacity.
    What if its beyond the manufacturers rating but still within the Coast Guards rating using the formula?

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If the boat came with a USCG Capacity Plate, provided by the Manufacturer, that is the rating.

12. Member
    If the boat came with a USCG Capacity Plate, provided by the Manufacturer, that is the rating.
    So that's what they actually go by? How can you tell what your manufacturer rating is?
    Last edited by bassfisher444; 04-06-2021 at 06:42 PM.