Still learning my rig

Ok guys lookin for some advice.
    04 188 elite
    04 rude 200 DI

I have been running a tempest plus 25. Loaded 3/4- full gas 2 big guys 5800 61mph max 3.5" p2p 10" slidemaster

Got a very good condition Razor 14.5 x 25 as backup or main depending on performance.
    Ran it today with same setup. Slightly better holeshot but down 3-5mph at 5800 rpm and didnt seem to have as much bow lift when on pad bow seems slightly lower and spray was out the sides some instead of straight back with tempest.
    Both props have same size vents in them. Medium I would say.

Am I correct in thinking thats not enough bow lift on pad or am I way off?
    What prop work I should get from Mark Croxton on the razor? I know he will tell me but kinda want to sound like I have a clue even if Im faking it.
    Hahaha

Thanks everyone

Other than the 2 props you have already run, I would add an original 24 Raker if your looking to try another prop. Rakers seem to run well for our Rudes...

To answer your question about Mark: Have it Blue printed and balanced (B&B), and have him add a little cupping for lift. I'm sending my 24 Raker to him over the winter for that exact work.
    1993 Champion 190
    1991 Evinrude Intruder 150

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dlewis10 View Post
    Other than the 2 props you have already run, I would add an original 24 Raker if your looking to try another prop. Rakers seem to run well for our Rudes...

To answer your question about Mark: Have it Blue printed and balanced (B&B), and have him add a little cupping for lift. I'm sending my 24 Raker to him over the winter for that exact work.
    Thanks

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    How's the water pressure at WOT?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    How's the water pressure at WOT?
    WP is 15-17psi. Im changing water pump this fall also hoping to bump that up some.

6. Pat Goff
    What is the boat telling you?
    The tempest is the right prop, so let’s figure out why it’s not at potential.

Your numbers suggest a lot of prop slip. Symptoms? Rpms much higher than speed. Is it running flat? Does speed drop when you’re full trim? Steering xtra stiff to the left at speed? Roostertail higher than motor cowling?

If yes you’re too high for that prop. 1/4” down at a time until you lose speed and back a click. Pretty sure you’ve found too high now you need to find too low.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    What is the boat telling you?
    The tempest is the right prop, so let’s figure out why it’s not at potential.

Your numbers suggest a lot of prop slip. Symptoms? Rpms much higher than speed. Is it running flat? Does speed drop when you’re full trim? Steering xtra stiff to the left at speed? Roostertail higher than motor cowling?

If yes you’re too high for that prop. 1/4” down at a time until you lose speed and back a click. Pretty sure you’ve found too high now you need to find too low.
    When I bought the boat in february the P2P was 4.5 and top speed alone 3/4 full with gear was 58. Raised to 3.5 and alone I get 65-66. Im 260lbs my fishin buddy is 350+ so the drop off is expected.
    Steering is fairly stiff to the left at wot. Rooster tail is even with motor maybe a bit lower. No drop off at full trim but boat does seem flat at wot not bow up really at all. I get some chine walk alone at 66mph also.
    I guess I should get her fine tuned to the tempest before I try and make a "backup" work right?
    I will put it back on and lower JP 1/4" and see how she does.

8. Pat Goff
    I’d get what you’ve got worked before I bought another unknown prop. The right prop guy takes what you’ve got and tweaks your wheel to match.
    Mark on the prop page here or Josh at Steve’s prop on fork are both capable of getting the most out of what you’ve got.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

9. Member
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the knowledge you folks share here.

Quote Originally Posted by Striperaddict View Post
    Ok guys lookin for some advice.
    04 188 elite
    04 rude 200 DI

I have been running a tempest plus 25. Loaded 3/4- full gas 2 big guys 5800 61mph max 3.5" p2p 10" slidemaster

Got a very good condition Razor 14.5 x 25 as backup or main depending on performance.
    Ran it today with same setup. Slightly better holeshot but down 3-5mph at 5800 rpm and didnt seem to have as much bow lift when on pad bow seems slightly lower and spray was out the sides some instead of straight back with tempest.
    Both props have same size vents in them. Medium I would say.

Am I correct in thinking thats not enough bow lift on pad or am I way off?
    What prop work I should get from Mark Croxton on the razor? I know he will tell me but kinda want to sound like I have a clue even if Im faking it.
    Hahaha

Thanks everyone
    Are the speeds your getting from a gps? Your getting a lot of prop slip getting only 61 mph and around 57 mph with 25 pitch props. I'm guessing your tach or speedo, if not gps, is off. I think it is too much of a coincidence that both props would be slipping so much. Make sure your tach is giving correct readings with gps speeds then do what Pat says.
    Last edited by smokewagon; 11-02-2020 at 06:21 AM.
    2012 Stratos ChampioN 183 Elite
    Mercury 175 ProXS

11. Banned
    65-66mph is about all she should have in her.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smokewagon View Post
    Are the speeds your getting from a gps? Your getting a lot of prop slip getting only 61 mph and around 57 mph with 25 pitch props. I'm guessing your tach or speedo, if not gps, is off. I think it is too much of a coincidence that both props would be slipping so much. Make sure your tach is giving correct readings with gps speeds then do what Pat says.
    The slower speeds are loaded with gear and fuel and 2 pretty big guys. Alone with less gear and 3/4 fuel I get 65-66 consistant. Yes its gps speed not speedo

13. Banned
    wide body champs are weight sensitive. I think you're about right where it should be considering the load. With a worked/fresh prop, you might add 2-3mph.

14. Member
    Ran the razor by myself today and could just barely hit 60mph (gps). Holeshot is as good or better than the tempest but 5-7 mph slower. Guess Im gonna just sell it and get another tempest and send the used one to Mark for balance and blueprint.

Thanks again everyone for info and suggestions.

15. Member
    Post up your results once you get it back from Mark!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    Post up your results once you get it back from Mark!
    I will for sure. Probably be a while but will let everyone know how it goes.