Neuse River hazards

Hey all,

Wanted to know how sketchy the main river on the Neuse is from Maple Cypress to anywhere downriver. I've fished all the way down near the wildlife ramp and swift creek area, but my friends and club members tell me upriver can get nasty with underwater sh*t you can't see. Is up to Maple Cypress generally safe? How do people learn these obstructions without destroying their boat?

2. Member
    From Maple Cypress down you are safe,just don’t cut the bends too close,there some shoals on the inside bends. Upriver toward Contentnia creek there are some old civil war pylons in the river,not marked,you just have to know where they are.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    From Maple Cypress down you are safe,just don’t cut the bends too close,there some shoals on the inside bends. Upriver toward Contentnia creek there are some old civil war pylons in the river,not marked,you just have to know where they are.
    Thank you for the reply! As far as the civil war pylons...that sounds like a nightmare to figure out.

4. Member
    They are a line posts coming off the bank at a 45* angle to about 2/3 across the river,you have to zig zag between them. I saw them years ago when the river was way down but I didn’t have any way to mark them.

5. Member
    They are a line posts coming off the bank at a 45* angle to about 2/3 across the river,you have to zig zag between them. I saw them years ago when the river was way down but I didn’t have any way to mark them.
    All above Maple Cypress?

6. Member
    Years ago fishing a BFL down there I pulled a local from Kinston and that’s where he sat the boat down at. I saw those pilings up close and personal. On a positive note I caught the biggest flounder I’ve ever seen in my life. Dang thing wouldn’t fit in the net!
    Brian Howard
    2023 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2023 Mercury 225

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by th365thli View Post
    All above Maple Cypress?
    Yes,way up from there

8. Member
    Thanks for the replies everyone, Maple Cypress is the closest launch to me aside from the ramps on the Tar. Would love to fish the Neuse more because of that

9. Member
    Yes,way up from there
    Not true...some at core, big line @ Village creek & south side of bridge at Maple Cypress..from there alot..been from Lawson to Kinston alot..have insurance policy up to date..

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderman View Post
    Not true...some at core, big line @ Village creek & south side of bridge at Maple Cypress..from there alot..been from Lawson to Kinston alot..have insurance policy up to date..
    You may be right,I’ve never seen those.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderman View Post
    x2
    -Lance
    Bullet 21XD Mercury 250 Pro XS

12. Member
    Can attest to the ones on south side of Maple Cypress bridge! Always intended to map these during low water but never got around to it and then moved away from the area.Do what the local sticks do and buy a jet drive lol.