Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trailer inspection

My understanding of PA law is that any trailer with a registered gross weight over 3000 lbs needs the annual safety inspection and a valid sticker. I have heard a few argue over the years that it does not apply for recreational trailers.

Anybody NOT getting this done? What happens if you are stopped and you don't have a valid inspection sticker?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Member
    zelmo,

I too have wondered about this. I have a 2005 Xpress X21 bass boat with a 250 Yamaha on a tandem axle trailer with surge brakes. My trailer registration card lists a GVW rating of 4,000 pounds. When I first bought my boat, I asked two different dealers if I needed to have the trailer inspected; both said "No, because you have surge brakes, not electric brakes".

Over the years, I have had several PA State Troopers pull alongside me and take a long look at the hitch and tongue area of my trailer. Not once have I been stopped for no inspection sticker. My guess is that they were looking to see if I had my chains crossed, or maybe I was just lucky?

That being said, I did see a thread on the Hull Truth boating forum ( https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...nspection.html ) where someone near Lake Erie was asking about trailer inspections because the Troopers were ticketing guys without trailer inspections. Unfortunately, the thread didn't indicate if the trailers being ticketed had bass boats or cabin cruisers. My guess is that they were big boats on big trailers.

If you are interested in reading the law…
    here is a link to the PA Motor Vehicle Code, Title 75, Chapter 47, Inspection of Vehicles: https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...&div=0&chpt=47

here is a link to the PA Transportation Code, Title 67, Chapter 175, Vehicle Equipment and Inspection, Subchapter G. Recreational, Semi, and Utility Trailers: https://www.pacodeandbulletin.gov/Di...hapGtoc.html&d

Keep in mind that the gross weight is the total weight of the trailer, the boat, and its contents.

Good luck! (I'm still confused.)

3. Member
    Put an FOP sticker in the back window of your tow vehicle, that'll at very least usually buy you some leniency or just a warning, I had a state trooper give me a warning for not carrying flares or reflective triangles in my truck, which would have turned into a fine if I didn't produce them at a state police barracks within a week or so, when I go to the police barracks with triangles they told me I didn't need them
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CV_X21 View Post
    zelmo,

I too have wondered about this. I have a 2005 Xpress X21 bass boat with a 250 Yamaha on a tandem axle trailer with surge brakes. My trailer registration card lists a GVW rating of 4,000 pounds. When I first bought my boat, I asked two different dealers if I needed to have the trailer inspected; both said "No, because you have surge brakes, not electric brakes".

Over the years, I have had several PA State Troopers pull alongside me and take a long look at the hitch and tongue area of my trailer. Not once have I been stopped for no inspection sticker. My guess is that they were looking to see if I had my chains crossed, or maybe I was just lucky?

That being said, I did see a thread on the Hull Truth boating forum ( https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...nspection.html ) where someone near Lake Erie was asking about trailer inspections because the Troopers were ticketing guys without trailer inspections. Unfortunately, the thread didn't indicate if the trailers being ticketed had bass boats or cabin cruisers. My guess is that they were big boats on big trailers.

If you are interested in reading the law…
    here is a link to the PA Motor Vehicle Code, Title 75, Chapter 47, Inspection of Vehicles: https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...&div=0&chpt=47

here is a link to the PA Transportation Code, Title 67, Chapter 175, Vehicle Equipment and Inspection, Subchapter G. Recreational, Semi, and Utility Trailers: https://www.pacodeandbulletin.gov/Di...hapGtoc.html&d

Keep in mind that the gross weight is the total weight of the trailer, the boat, and its contents.

Good luck! (I'm still confused.)
    Thanks. A quick look at 75-47 and I am still confused also. I need to study it when I have time.

Are you saying that you don't get yours inspected? A fine wouldn't be so bad considering how much you save every year you don't pay for the inspection. Not letting you move the trailer and being stuck on the road is another story.

5. Member
    My dealers told me I had to have it inspected. Granted they were a terrible dealer. They told me they were a humminbird dealer for 20 some years and still couldn't hook up my birds correctly. Now with that being said also I think it was bass pro in Harrisburg that told me in PA that each wheel that touched the ground had to have a brake on it by law. So when i ordered my boat I had to put the extra brake on. I do get my trailer inspected I just figure a $50 inspection is cheaper than the fine and hassle. The best places to ask that question is a state cop or a garage that does inspections. Then at that point it would be up to you to get it done and I would almost think that you would get away with it more than you would get caught.

6. Member
    I looked at 75-47 closer and don't see any wiggle room. It needs to be inspected if over 3000 lbs.

It looks like the fine is $100, but there is also a line that says no vehicle shall move on a highway without it. That means if a police officer stopped you and found you didn't comply you could be forced to have it put on a flatbed to move it. Not a risk worth taking.

7. Member
    zelmo,

I have owned a bass boat & trailer of some sort since 1978, and I've never had trailer inspected nor have I been ticketed.

Don't worry about being stuck on the road; your quote from Title 75, Chapter 47 is taken from paragraph (2) which covers motor carrier vehicle, bus, or school bus. I think it would be a good thing that 18-wheelers and buses that are not inspected should not able to be on the highway. I believe the previous paragraph (1) is applicable for boat trailers, which specifies a fine not exceeding $25 and makes no mention of not being able to move the trailer.

Anyway, I have no plans on getting my trailer "inspected" at a garage, as my maintenance schedule takes care of that. Every year at winterization time, the trailer has all disc brakes, rotors, brake lines, wheel bearings, and suspension parts inspected and serviced as needed. As far as lights are concerned, my pickup truck monitors the lights and sets off alarms if there is a problem.

8. Moderator
    Think the problem comes into play with a insurance clam. If the trailer needs inspection sticker and doesn't have one they have a out. Not a fact. Just a thought
    Vince Dart- Jim Thorpe PA

9. Member
    In PA, your trailer (as described above) does in fact need to be inspected. There is no wiggle room. The fine is $25 PLUS costs....in PA that equals $143.00! As for getting it inspected, I don't of any one that has been stopped, inspected, or cited for that violation on their boat trailer. Not saying that it doesn't happen but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Also, something to keep in mind is that if you have two axles, by law in PA you must have brakes on both axles. My first tandem axle Skeeter trailer did not have brakes on both axles, the new one does.

10. Member
    I really don't think any cop would cite you for this. Bottom line, save your money and don't worry about it. Keep your registration up to date and you're good to go!
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

11. Member
    I got the trailer inspected today. Total cost was $82. It just wasn’t worth rolling the dice to me.

12. Member
    Pretty simple you need the inspection. I don't know what the fine is. I don't have mine inspected. I should but just never got it done.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    I got the trailer inspected today. Total cost was $82. It just wasn’t worth rolling the dice to me.
    $82 for just an inspection ?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SWbass View Post
    $82 for just an inspection ?
    Yep.

When the Triton was new I found out about the inspection. I called around and only found one place that would do it with the boat on the trailer. It was a boat dealer and they charged me $110.

The next year I found a trailer dealer who would do it for $45 plus tax and sticker. I have been taking it to them ever since. Last year they raised the price to $70 plus tax and sticker.

15. Member
    I thick i got mine inspected for like $50.
    2019 Nitro Z19
    200 HP Mercury Pro XS 4s

16. Member
    and a vehicle inspection is only $28, something seems disproportionate here, and we only use the trailer part of the year

17. Member
    Do you know how many senkos $82 can buy? just saying...

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by potomacbassin View Post
    Do you know how many senkos $82 can buy? just saying...
    Do you have any idea how many Senkos $450 will buy? A number of years ago I got into a great Senko bite and blew through all that I had. Vowing that would never happen again I got more every time I saw a sale. I stopped when I had $450 tied up. It is a lifetime supply.

Back to the topic, the problem I have is this is not a car. The places are charging shop rates. If someone has a better solution in the Harrisburg area I am all ears.

19. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    That's a hefty price for trailer inspection. Got my RAM inspected today - $57.00. Didn't need the emmission test - and you won't for a trailer either - as I only put 3600 miles on the truck this year.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    Do you have any idea how many Senkos $450 will buy? A number of years ago I got into a great Senko bite and blew through all that I had. Vowing that would never happen again I got more every time I saw a sale. I stopped when I had $450 tied up. It is a lifetime supply.

Back to the topic, the problem I have is this is not a car. The places are charging shop rates. If someone has a better solution in the Harrisburg area I am all ears.
    Until your next senko bite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast