Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Kill trees you don't want

I found this video and wondered if it would really work. I have a bunch of scrub oaks and turkey oaks I want to thin out so the live oaks have room to grow. Do you think it would work on pines as well?

2. Member
    Just cut the cambium layer all the way around the tree. It called girdling the tree. It will kil the pines. They also make hatchets that inject into the tree and the right chemicals will kill the tree.
    Praying for a Cure

3. Banned
    If you have time? Just bang a bunch of copper nails all around the trunk.

I watched, but he lost me at 20% _______ herbicide and 80% water. His strong accent may be the problem? What was the 20% component in English?

Edit: I found this video, which might answer my question.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

5. Member
    You can drill a downward hole to the center of the tree and fill with roundup or another herbicide used to kill trees or heavy brush and it will kill the tree. Best to do it in the spring when the sap is rising.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    I watched, but he lost me at 20% _______ herbicide and 80% water. His strong accent may be the problem? What was the 20% component in English?

Edit: I found this video, which might answer my question.
    It sounds to me like he says arsenal, I watched a different video and they used 2-4-D.

7. Member
    I would say it will work but if you drill holes around base of tree trunk and pack salt into it they will die also. Cutting all the way around a tree deal works too but I suspect you are talking more about saplings. One thing for sure is if you like a tree and don’t want anything to happen to it, then it probably will! If big enough I would cut them for wood( firewood or lumber) then pour a little stump stop on the stump. I know 24D will kill a tree if you can get enough on it. Four to six ounces to a gallon should be enough.

8. Member
    Oh and 24D is the main ingredient in Hi-Yield

9. Member
    I guess I don't understand. What is the reason for not just cutting it down and be done ?
    GETFISHED !!!

10. Banned
    If you’re going to drill , nail or cut all the way around the tree you may as well just cut it down. The hatchet method seems easy.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    I guess I don't understand. What is the reason for not just cutting it down and be done ?
    Not nearly enough chemicals..

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrew73 View Post
    If you’re going to drill , nail or cut all the way around the tree you may as well just cut it down. The hatchet method seems easy.
    If it's waterfront it needs to look like a natural death

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
    You can drill a downward hole to the center of the tree and fill with roundup or another herbicide used to kill trees or heavy brush and it will kill the tree. Best to do it in the spring when the sap is rising.
    No, in the fall when it’s headed back to the roots. Works great!
    I think the new secret color is "A-Rig"..........

Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    i Was wondering the same

15. Member
    yes, hack and squirt works. We did this to my brothers farm. we use round up but with a little more kick then the round up you can buy at home improvement stores. Can't remember the chemical in round up that kills the trees but in round up it's only 18% and in the stuff we bought at tractor supply its like 40% of the make up of the product. One problem with doing this close to a house is the tree start dying off limbs will start to fall could be a little dangerous around your home.

Quote Originally Posted by Dando View Post
    No, in the fall when it’s headed back to the roots. Works great!
    Another video I found on YT said exactly the same as Dando. That guy said Fall/Winter works best, while Spring/Early Summer probably won't do it. I may have to remove a few fence boards to gain covert access to my neighbor's trees.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coachs View Post
    yes, hack and squirt works. We did this to my brothers farm. we use round up but with a little more kick then the round up you can buy at home improvement stores. Can't remember the chemical in round up that kills the trees but in round up it's only 18% and in the stuff we bought at tractor supply its like 40% of the make up of the product. One problem with doing this close to a house is the tree start dying off limbs will start to fall could be a little dangerous around your home.
    I did this as a job on weekends when I was in high school and my first year of college. We killed hardwoods, hickory trees were a bugger. We got 25 bucks a day. We did this in the summer, in the winter, we planted pines, 25 bucks per 1000 planted.
    Last edited by Ron H 520; 10-31-2020 at 01:41 AM.

18. Member
    Spike 80-df.
    If you bury a tree at its trunk, you'll kill it in about 3 days. 3-4 wheel barrow loads will do it.
    Joey Aderhold

Works--Use 24-D and Remedy. Put it in a pan and use a brush to paint it all around the tree where you stripped the bark.

20. Member
    Tordon used to be sold for this. Cut a spot and apply it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast