LifePo4 lithium battery built in BMS and display screen any good?

I’m looking to possibly switch over to lithium and wanted to find out if LifePo4 lithium batteries built in BMS and display screen are any good? I’m new to lithium and really know nothing about them except that they are lighter and should last a lot longer than regular batteries. They guy I’m looking to buy them from sells them for $350 each. I have a MK440PC 4-Bank Charger and wanted to confirm that it will work without issue on these batteries? Lastly, what size Lithium cranking battery would you recommend ? For the (3-12v 60ah I would be running a Garmin Force) not sure on cranking?? Same 60A or go up to 100A? Or Costco is having a 2 pack of Lion Energy Safari UT1300 batteries, not sure of the price, but those are 100AH each and I’m thinking if one battery craps out I’m out a trolling motor?? I run a Evinrude Etech 200 and 2 Garmin Ultra units (1-126SV AND 1-106SV). Is there anything else I need to know about Lithium’s? I don’t want to blow the bank on batteries but I’m always looking to upgrade in the best way possible. Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by Triton TR20X; 10-29-2020 at 06:32 PM.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton TR20X View Post
    I’m looking to possibly switch over to lithium and wanted to find out if LifePo4 lithium batteries built in BMS and display screen are any good? I’m new to lithium and really know nothing about them except that they are lighter and should last a lot longer than regular batteries. They guy I’m looking to buy them from sells them for $350 each. I have a MK440PC 4-Bank Charger and wanted to confirm that it will work without issue on these batteries? Lastly, what size Lithium cranking battery would you recommend ? For the (3-12v 60ah I would be running a Garmin Force) not sure on cranking?? Same 60A or go up to 100A? Or Costco is having a 2 pack of Lion Energy Safari UT1300 batteries, not sure of the price, but those are 100AH each and I’m thinking if one battery craps out I’m out a trolling motor?? I run a Evinrude Etech 200 and 2 Garmin Ultra units (1-126SV AND 1-106SV). Is there anything else I need to know about Lithium’s? I don’t want to blow the bank on batteries but I’m always looking to upgrade in the best way possible. Thanks in advance for your help!
    How much are they at costco?

3. Member
    doesn't say deep cycle or cranking?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton TR20X View Post
    I知 looking to possibly switch over to lithium and wanted to find out if LifePo4 lithium batteries built in BMS and display screen are any good? I知 new to lithium and really know nothing about them except that they are lighter and should last a lot longer than regular batteries. They guy I知 looking to buy them from sells them for $350 each. I have a MK440PC 4-Bank Charger and wanted to confirm that it will work without issue on these batteries? Lastly, what size Lithium cranking battery would you recommend ? For the (3-12v 60ah I would be running a Garmin Force) not sure on cranking?? Same 60A or go up to 100A? Or Costco is having a 2 pack of Lion Energy Safari UT1300 batteries, not sure of the price, but those are 100AH each and I知 thinking if one battery craps out I知 out a trolling motor?? I run a Evinrude Etech 200 and 2 Garmin Ultra units (1-126SV AND 1-106SV). Is there anything else I need to know about Lithium痴? I don稚 want to blow the bank on batteries but I知 always looking to upgrade in the best way possible. Thanks in advance for your help!
    I'll try to answer some of your questions.

The BMS and display screen are different depending on what battery you are getting. Some don't have the display screen, all have a BMS (battery managment software) and some even have a BMS with bluetooth so you can see the charge levels and a bunch of other stuff on your smartphone. Might start by telling us what brand you are looking at.

The MK440PC charger should work fine on the AGM setting.

The cranking battery is a little different. You'll want a larger battery, the 60ah won't start a big outboard (dependant on other factors, but usually not), it can't supply the necessary amperage fast enough for the starter. For a 200 I'm thinking you'll want a 125ah or one of the lithiums marketed as a starting battery. Basically you want to make sure the BMS in the battery can handle the large current load of a starter.

Other things to think about is that you don't want to keep them at 100% for months on end, so in storage, it's best to leave them around 80%. You don't need to charge them after every outing if you aren't going to need a full charge. If you average 20% per day of fishing you only need to charge them after every 3rd or 4th trip, this will give you the best longevity on the battery. When sitting over winter (if you don't use the boat year round, though I see you are in florida so this may not apply) lithiums will lose very little charge. If you put them into storage at 80% in November by April you will probably be down to 79% maybe 78%, so no battery tender needed. Another thing is the state of charge meters for lead acid batteries (even those found on the front of a trolling motor) will not read the state of charge of lithiums correctly as they hold voltage very low into their discharge cycle, so voltage measuring isn't a good way to see state of charge.

I would recommend ampedoutdoors or ionic batteries. They are board sponsors and have a pretty good track record with the guys around here. Amped are a bit cheaper, but Ionic has the bluetooth BMS. The 125ah Ionic are a good choice for starting battery and Amped had a 1200cca battery for starting that came in 60ah, 80ah and 100ah (I think) but I don't see it on their website anymore. There are definitely others out there too, Battle Born is a big player and popular in RV's and boats as well as Dakota.

Hope I helped at least a little. I've been wanting a set, but don't have the funds at the moment. Just done a bunch of research into them so far.
    2020 Triton 206 Allure
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S Serial # 2B642047
    Bravo XS 22p @ 4.5" PTP
    Minn-Kota Terrova 112 w/ IPilot
    Lowrance Ti2 12" Console
    Lowrance Ti2 9" Bow
    Lowrance Point 1
    Standard Horizon GX2350S
    Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna

5. Member
    “flying happy”..... Thank you so very much. Yes, that answers a lot of questions. I really appreciate it. I’ll look into the Ionic. Thanks again!

6. Member
    Drewtick is the guy you want to talk to for Ionics.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=987033
    2020 Triton 206 Allure
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S Serial # 2B642047
    Bravo XS 22p @ 4.5" PTP
    Minn-Kota Terrova 112 w/ IPilot
    Lowrance Ti2 12" Console
    Lowrance Ti2 9" Bow
    Lowrance Point 1
    Standard Horizon GX2350S
    Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna

7. Member
    Thank you

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghappy View Post

plus 1...

9. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghappy View Post

Plus 100!!!!
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS