179 Triton set up

I'm trying to help my uncle get a little more out of his 179 Triton, he's turning a 21p trophy plus with all four vent holes plugged and the exhaust ring around the barrel. No jack plate and the engine is mounted one hole from the top of the clamp. He's currently running 42-45 mph at wot. What size jack plate and prop would be best for his boat? Any help would be appreciated.

What motor, and what are his RPM'S at full throttle?

3. Member
    I had the early version of this boat, the 18 Explorer. The boat was powered by a two stroke 115, a 20 pitch was considered optimal. I liked a 19-pitch laser 2 on mine. I think mine was mounted in the second hole bringing the motor up a little. It is never going to be a fast boat. Prop it for hole shot and control in rough water.

4. Member
    I have this hull with a Mercury 115 Pro XS CT (4stroke), no jack plate. It came with a 24P Tempest that could kiss 50MPH but the hole shot was awful and the hull started feeling a little squirrell-y pushing that limit for me with my setup. I'm not a tournament guy so not really interested in setting up to get that last 1%, I went to a 21P Tempest which feels great heavily loaded, comfortable 46. I have that slightly dinged up 24P Tempest for sale if he wants to give it a spin... The 21P does keep me closer to the recommended RPM range for that motor.