Looking for info on the Tyler area

Howdy all. Looking to get some info on the Tyler area. I will be retiring from the Army late next year and I am interested in retiring to the Tyler area. Would appreciate any info you could provide with regards to living there, housing, jobs, crime, traffic, etc. etc. This area is on my short list of places to retire to. Other places I am considering are Jacksonville and Clewiston, FL, Huntsville, AL, and San Antonio. Thanks!

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

2. Banned
    San Antonio is a cess pool.

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Tell him how you really feel, Mike ...

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Tell him how you really feel, Mike ...

It’s liberal dump hole and rated as having some of the fattest residents in America. They have no clue what a yield sign is or how to merge in with traffic. BUT, if you love Mexican food and we will assume that Covid will eventually go away, then he might like it.

Heres a sweet ride that I saw the other day, pimpin’!

5. Member
    I lived in San Antonio back in 94-95, it wasn’t too bad then. My sister lives there now. She likes it but says the traffic is horrible.

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

6. Banned
    Yes sir, it has grown immensely since 94-95. If you’re a large city guy, you might like it. Granted, there are many small cities on the outskirts of San Antonio that you might like looking at.

7. Member
    Longview is pretty nice
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    San Antonio is a cess pool.
    I couldn't have said it better. It's also getting to be one of the most expensive places to live in Texas. I think Dallas still has us beat.

The Tyler area is nice. Just stay away from the north side. Athens is even better, but it costs a little more. If you want to live comfortably on retired military pay, look around Jacksonville, TX. It's one of the lowest cost of living areas in the state. There's plenty of places to fish around there too.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

9. Member
    Appreciate the heads up utinator!

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

10. Lounge/Texas Club/Triton Boats Moderator Bobs21X's Avatar
    Tyler and outlying cities like Noonday, White House and others are also real nice, and still close enough to Tyler to get the big city feel.......

11. Member
    I have been looking at property around Tyler and Jacksonville and have found some really good deals, at least on paper. Overall it seems to be a good area to live, plenty of property available and jobs seem to be plentiful. Hopefully that trend will continue. Thanks again for the input!

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

My son goes to college in Tyler and I really like it there. I had never been until we went to do a college visit a year and a half ago and now I've been there numerous times. It's been one of my favorite areas in Texas and I would like to live in that area myself. It's nice size town but not too big with lots of lakes nearby. I'd choose Tyler over San Antonio any day. To me the only advantages of San Antonio would be the military bases and a larger, much better served, airport but DFW isn't that far way with even better service.

13. Member
    Tyler has always been one of my favorite places. Inlaws lived there in their later years so we visited quite a bit. Have a daughter living in Whitehouse, just outside Tyler and it's more a small town feel. You can get out on a little acreage without breaking the bank. It's also real close to Lake Tyler where they have a weekly, I think half day tournament which draws a decent group.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman469 View Post
    I have been looking at property around Tyler and Jacksonville and have found some really good deals, at least on paper. Overall it seems to be a good area to live, plenty of property available and jobs seem to be plentiful. Hopefully that trend will continue. Thanks again for the input!
    If you are looking at unimproved lots/acreage, then try to find something with electricity and water readily available. Septic tanks aren't a big deal for sewer, but water wells for fresh water are expensive. Electricity can get expensive if the nearest power pole is 1/4 mile away. Yes, the land is cheap, but the utilities can be expensive. Unless you are in the city, you can forget about fast internet.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

Look into Mineola or Lindale. Both are great places to live. You are close to everytbing yiu will need, reasonable property prices and taxes, good salt of tbe Earth people and close to.more great lakes than you can fish including Fork.

16. Member
    Thanks Mark, found a couple very nice pieces of property there. Both had a pole barn for boat storage and a wife approved kitchen!

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

Definitely the Lindale area like Mark said. Smaller city, but has everything you need. Any highway out of the town puts you on a different lake!

18. Member
    I live out in the Chapel Hill/Arp area. We are out in the country but close enough to get in to Tyler. The area is nice. We have only been in the area for a little over a year. My preference on areas would be Lindale or Flint as they are good areas and have good access to get to I-20 and good access to top fishing lakes (Athens, Palestine, Fork etc)

I’m still looking for a fishing partner, feel free to message me when you get to the area. I fish Lake Tyler typically since it is so close to me. Want to get to other lakes in the future.
    2022 Avid 20XB | 2022 Yamaha SHO 200 | Minn Kota Raptors | Hummingbird and Garmin electronics

If I could get my wife to move away from the Grandkids, I would probably move to that area in a heartbeat.