1988 201 DCB interior modification

Sweet forum!

I am considering modifying the layout of the interior bow area of my old Champ as I think the use of space could be much improved. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I think that I have a 201 DBC. Has anyone else added/changed compartments or space use in front of the dashes? Rod locker is narrow and short, weird plastic tray starboard side does nothing for me and what's with the stepped area there? No idea what purpose that served.

Anyone have thoughts or input on this?
    Thanks,

Chris

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Talk with ChampioNman. He converted his old 201 FnS to modern bass. He will have ideas for you, I bet!

3. Pat Goff
    The DCB is indeed a goofy layout. The only one I've seen that made sense was fabbed out of Aluminum, with a lid over the big hole. Made everything a flush deck except for the box in front of the driver which is going to stick up regardless of what you do.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

4. Member
    Thanks very much for the replies. I will contact ChampioNman directly for his thoughts as well. I would like to do it in glass and flake to match, I don't think aluminum belongs in a glass boat. I am still mulling over the job but have a couple months yet to decide if I bring it into the shop this winter.
    The interior layout has only recently become an issue. As strange as it sounds, it worked really well for us over the last 10 years. Once we had kids, the lower area in the bow was great for them. We would plop them down there with some toys and fish comfortably. I bet its almost a couple feet deep there, so they stayed contained and safe. The cutout in front of the passenger dash fit the cooler really nice and it was a perfect spot for my wife to pee over the side.

Now it's the rod locker and the poor use of space that annoys me the most. I would even consider cutting down the height of the large compartment starboard side to make the whole deck the same level. Perhaps a big center rod locker and useful compartments. Also thought about moving the trolling motor batteries up there if I'm going this deep. And yes, I do understand the amount of work I am proposing.

Thanks again and take care and stay safe. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, please share them with me.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lake View Post
    [...] I would like to do it in glass and flake to match [...]
    Now it's the rod locker and the poor use of space that annoys me the most. I would even consider cutting down the height of the large compartment starboard side to make the whole deck the same level. Perhaps a big center rod locker and useful compartments. Also thought about moving the trolling motor batteries up there if I'm going this deep. And yes, I do understand the amount of work I am proposing.

Thanks again and take care and stay safe. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, please share them with me.

Chris
    Chris, I have an 89 201 SCR and have had many of the same thoughts for my build. For example, the small port shelf inside the center compartment. I have thought about moving the port rod locker inward and eliminating that shelf. Would also give it a more side to side uniform visual asthetic.Also thinking about extending the starboard locker to the driver console, but also build in a small, separate lidded day box similar to those on the 2010 Skeeter FX. And lastly, the obvious flipping deck type extension, but being actually built in (glassed and gel coated) storage compartments and the addition of a step (double as a floor cooler). Considered also, adding a rod ramp and subsequent solution for rod butts for the coangler side. Adding the ramp would obviously make seating narrower, but I am considering just 2 bucket seats and a step.

I even have considered, modifying the square console by raising its top threshold to flush mount a graph and keep it behind the windshield still.
    1988 Basscat Pantera 2 / 1988 Mariner 200 #0B348072 / 1986 Mercury Blackmax 200 #0B116913
    US Navy veteran

6. Member
    Hey thanks for adding your thoughts! I am also torn about changing the classic champ look but I think the interior modification is warranted and it wont affect the performance of the hull or general look. I would glass it and gel it as well. The carpet hides lots. It would give me a chance to install that anti fatigue foam too. I will toy with layout arrangements over the next month or so, then move her into the shop in January. It would be nice to move the trolling motor batteries forward but then what about the on board charger? I'd love a center rod locker, but what about the bow compartment? Decisions decisions.

Thanks again and take care,
    Chris

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The big trick is getting the rod lockers changed around so they open outwards on the FNS models took a lot of cutting and shaping to get the correct angle and curve to match the gunnels. Then making the lids sturdy and light weight. Deck extension was easy. I've got pictures scattered over two PC's I really need to get a flash drive and move them all to one place. Here's a picture of the finished product. deckextension.jpg

8. Member
    That does look pretty sweet, nice work. I would probably extend the deck right to the dashes. I like the recessed pedal too. How is it to use? Is the seat too close to the pedal? I sometimes feel that my seat is too close to the bow so I move my pedal to the side to facilitate operation and stretch my leg a bit.

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Nope seat and tray are just right, you want it a little closer to the seat as it is lower than deck level.